3.0t vs Red Sport 400 - Infiniti Q60 Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
3.0t vs Red Sport 400

I can't find performance stats anywhere online for the 3.0t, only the Red Sport.

Anyone know or have an estimate of the 0-60 & 1/4 mile times for the 3.0t?

And what exactly are the differences between the two that prevent the midrange model from putting out 400 hp? I thought they shared the same engine. Would a tuner be able to get the 3.0t closer to it's big brother's numbers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyQ View Post
I can't find performance stats anywhere online for the 3.0t, only the Red Sport.

And what exactly are the differences between the two that prevent the mid-range model from putting out 400 hp? I thought they shared the same engine. Would a tuner be able to get the 3.0t closer to it's big brother's numbers?
SpeedyQ, I haven't seen the numbers either since it looks like Infiniti has been pushing the RS version more than the others (heck has anyone seen a review on the 2.0T?), but I believe it is possible to tune the mid-range 3.0T up to the RS 3.0T. Despite the very limited differences, it's mostly about pushing more boost.

There are already mid-range 3.0T Q50s running RS levels of power and higher. So you should be fine. The VR engine series is pretty robust...not sure how the direct injection will stack up over time though.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testrage View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyQ View Post

And what exactly are the differences between the two that prevent the mid-range model from putting out 400 hp? I thought they shared the same engine. Would a tuner be able to get the 3.0t closer to it's big brother's numbers?
SpeedyQ, I haven't seen the numbers either since it looks like Infiniti has been pushing the RS version more than the others (heck has anyone seen a review on the 2.0T?), but I believe it is possible to tune the mid-range 3.0T up to the RS 3.0T. Despite the very limited differences, it's mostly about pushing more boost.

There are already mid-range 3.0T Q50s running RS levels of power and higher. So you should be fine. The VR engine series is pretty robust...not sure how the direct injection will stack up over time though.
I'm not so sure this is accurate. It's my understanding that the turbos are much larger on the RS, and the cooling system for them far more advanced. I'm sure with a change of the exhaust and a tune you can get close, but you'll be pushing it to its limit.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qx4Cor View Post
I'm not so sure this is accurate. It's my understanding that the turbos are much larger on the RS, and the cooling system for them far more advanced. I'm sure with a change of the exhaust and a tune you can get close, but you'll be pushing it to its limit.
The RS also has an optical sensor that the non RS doesn't have. The non RS will be able to be tuned quite a bit, but the RS will have greater results with the same tunes than the non RS. Can't go wrong either way though.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qx4Cor View Post
This is the first I'm hearing of larger turbos on the RS. I know about the optical sensor and additional water pump or something but my understanding was that the 3.0T runs around 7psi of boost vs 14psi in the RS. The optical sensor allows them to run the turbine (maybe different design) at higher rotational speeds more reliably.

Last edited by testrage; 11-17-2016 at 11:18 AM.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinitiFreak View Post
The RS also has an optical sensor that the non RS doesn't have. The non RS will be able to be tuned quite a bit, but the RS will have greater results with the same tunes than the non RS. Can't go wrong either way though.
This ^ exactly. For those that will mod, both can be made into beasts (it all comes down to money in the end). For folks like me who won't tune or mod, the RS gives us the best bang for the buck from the get go and 400hp is more than I need for a simple DD.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by testrage View Post
This ^ exactly. For those that will mod, both can be made into beasts (it all comes down to money in the end). For folks like me who won't tune or mod, the RS gives us the best bang for the buck from the get go and 400hp is more than I need for a simple DD.
The question I have is...to get close to the performance of a RS 400 with a regular 3.0t, how much money we talking in mods and tuning? Cause if you can tune a 3.0t for a couple grand and end up being at or near RS 400 numbers, might definitely be worth exploring imo.

And I don't mean to disrespect any RS 400 owners, because I test drove both and loved how the RS 400 snapped my head back the way my last vehicle used to, but I couldn't justify getting into the $50k+ range for a Q60 when you have so many other competitor coupes in that price range that outperform it.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 10:57 AM

Hard to find a performance sheet for the 30t sport, you'll have to read reviews for that info. All I found from autocar is it can hit 62mph in 5 seconds and has a 155mph limiter.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity View Post
Hard to find a performance sheet for the 30t sport, you'll have to read reviews for that info. All I found from autocar is it can hit 62mph in 5 seconds and has a 155mph limiter.
I found some info that claims the 3.0t sedan can reach 60 in the 5.3 - 5.4 range. Not sure if that was RWD or AWD. Since the Q60 weighs more than the Q50, I think it would be safe to assume the Q60 3.0t clocks in around 5.5 - 5.7.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 03:30 PM

At this point we should be able to get that information from dealers, with the vehicle out, that information should be in their hands or accessible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page