Infiniti 7AT Transmission - Infiniti Q60 Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Post Infiniti 7AT Transmission

Not sure if this will be useful for anyone who wants to mod their cars, but I'll put this out there. Feel free to dispute since I'm sharing info gathered from the web and nothing confirmed by Infiniti.

A question came up about which 7AT transmission Infiniti is using in the Q50/Q60. JATCO makes the Infiniti 7AT transmission and supplies 2 different transmissions to Infiniti http://www.jatco.co.jp/ENGLISH/produ...at/jr710e.html

- JR710E
- JR711E
The 710E model is rated for 400 Nm (~295 lb-ft), and the 711E is rated for 600 Nm (~443 lb-ft).

From a post made by Stillen earlier this year, the p/n of the transmission used in a Q50 RS they dyno tested was RE7R01A which is Infiniti's/Nissan's p/n for the JR710E. It seems that the JR711E is essentially only used in the SUVs from Infiniti like the QX80, etc.

Kinda long winded but this might mean that the Q60 gets a transmission that is not really rated to put up with the load so modding could get even more expensive if there is a transmission failure. A replacement transmission is about $8k USD from Infiniti. This could be an issue but the 3.0T SS & RS Q50s have been out for a while and I've not heard of any RS transmission failures yet....so maybe the internals have been beefed up...not sure but I certainly hope so.

TL;DR - Infiniti might not be using a transmission robust enough to handle more torque than stock RS outputs...so be careful when you mod. New trans is $8k and beefing up the existing trans about $6k.
Q602B, Infinity and Sonnik like this.

Last edited by testrage; 02-16-2017 at 08:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 10:48 AM

Great sleuthing testrage!
Doesn't the Q60 Red Sport come with 350 lb-ft of torque from factory? I assume that means it's using the 711E transmission so there may be some room for improvement. But the other trims may be closing in on the 710E transmission limit.
Q602B likes this.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 11:22 AM

Hmm... I wonder if there's anything we can get done ourselves to "beef it up" even more ?

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestige View Post
Hmm... I wonder if there's anything we can get done ourselves to "beef it up" even more ?
I would think there are some reputable tuners out there trying to crack that code as we speak (or is that type).

2016 Volvo XC90 T6 R-Design| Passion Red | B&W PSS| Climate Pkg| Convenience Pkg| Vision Pkg| 4-Corner AS| 22" Diamond Cut Wheels| Integrated Booster Seat - Wife's Car
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity View Post
Great sleuthing testrage!
Doesn't the Q60 Red Sport come with 350 lb-ft of torque from factory? I assume that means it's using the 711E transmission so there may be some room for improvement. But the other trims may be closing in on the 710E transmission limit.
Yeah, even though the RS comes with 350 lb-ft, it still gets the 710E transmission for some reason. I think the bean counters won out since the 710E & 711E are both packaged exactly the same meaning it's only the internals that are different.

I have a feeling Infiniti decided that they were better off absorbing the warranty costs of fixing transmissions in order to meet their price point as opposed to putting in a more expensive transmission and having a higher starting price point (maybe one more comparable to the Germans). After all, Infiniti is all about undercutting the Germans price wise while providing a car that is 8 or 9/10s of the way there but with more standard features.

Time will tell for sure. If there are multiple issues at stock power levels, we'll end up with another class action lawsuit similar to what Nissan saw on the 2009 GTR
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestige View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q602B View Post
I would think there are some reputable tuners out there trying to crack that code as we speak (or is that type).
There are from what I found. Level10 transmission is one such shop that offers support for the 7AT and is one of the best

- Level10 - 370Z TRANSMISSION,370Z TRANSMISSION UPGRADE,LEVEL10 370Z,370Z VALVE BODY,370Z TORQUE CONVERTER,370Z TORQUE CONVERTER UPGRADE although you will also need a beefed up torque converter as well 370 TORQUE CONVERTER
Q602B and Sonnik like this.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 09:19 AM

So the same RE7R01A transmission is still used in the 400HP Q60?

Wouldn't the transmission have issues at some point in the extra torque the TT Q60 has?

Reason I ask, is because I am adding TT setup to my 370Z and am worried the transmission will give in at some point. I can't afford to ship the whole Level10 transmission from the US to Australia, I would be paying $3K USD just in shipping fees!
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow85 View Post

Wouldn't the transmission have issues at some point in the extra torque the TT Q60 has?
I trust that Nissan has that figured out.
Sonnik likes this.

2017 Q60 Red Sport 400 Pure White / Monaco Red
Premium Plus Package 3.0t Sport / Silver Optic Fiber Interior Trim / INFINITI Radiant Illuminated Kick Plates / INFINITI Radiant Grille Emblem / Infiniti Sport Exhaust Kit
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow85 View Post
So the same RE7R01A transmission is still used in the 400HP Q60?

Reason I ask, is because I am adding TT setup to my 370Z and am worried the transmission will give in at some point. I can't afford to ship the whole Level10 transmission from the US to Australia, I would be paying $3K USD just in shipping fees!
It may or it may not have issues. Not every OEM designs everything to be 100% robust in every situation and under every condition. At the end of the day, the bean counters get a large say. So corporations as such will accept some liability and assume that a certain % of failures will occur over the expected sales population and decide that they can handle that level of liability. If the % of failures exceeds the expectations or public perception changes to where it affects sales, then the corporation will revise the design, issue a recall, extend the warranty, etc.

I trust Nissan only to an extent. Heck, Nissan GTRs (their halo car) were having major transmission problems that while mostly alleviated still affect them to this day (they took a massive reputation hit). Additionally, Nissan is still trying to get the stupid bell-housing issue resolved and despite the car having been in production for what 10yrs now???

I'm certain that anyone who doesn't mod or give Nissan a reason to cancel their warranty will be covered. YMMV for anyone that does mod. It's why I bought my car from a dealer that offers a lifetime warranty and it's why my only "real" mod has been Infiniti's sport exhaust axleback.

Just my 2c based on my experiences working within the automotive sector and previously at NNA corporate

Red when moderating
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. Every other color when just being any ol' forum member
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 12:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by testrage View Post
I'm certain that anyone who doesn't mod or give Nissan a reason to cancel their warranty will be covered. YMMV for anyone that does mod. It's why I bought my car from a dealer that offers a lifetime warranty and it's why my only "real" mod has been Infiniti's sport exhaust axleback.
Pansy

Haha just kidding, testrage is right there's a certain amount of risk involved when we mod, but that's part of the thrill!

As far as the transmission is concerned I've heard from a few 370Z tweakers with boost installed say that a transmission cooler alone works wonders and they've never had any problems, as one of the biggest problem for these transmissions (and pretty much all transmissions) is heat. That may be the best place to start as far as helping your transmission out with running healthy with boost.

On the flip side I've also read many a 370Z nightmare stories of after boosting, the transmission eventually started slipping and failing, and the only thing that saved them was the Level10 approach. The funny thing I remember now was I can't recall any of those stories mentioning anything about adding/having a trans cooler with the 370z boosted.

Last edited by LoganB; 05-11-2017 at 12:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page