Audio Settings - Infiniti Q60 Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Audio Settings

I was going to add this question to an audio thread that I thought existed in this section but I can't find it, so I'll start a general Audio Settings thread.

The manual says there is the Bose Audio Pilot in addition to Speed Sensitive Volume. Both can change volume depending on different situations. My wife loves Speed Sensitive Volume in her JX, but I wasn't a fan of it in my G35. It seems to be active in my Q60, but I don't have the Speed Sensitive Volume setting like it's listed in the manual.

Any idea where it is or if it actually exists? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Bose Audio Pilot is speed sensitive, but as far as I can tell there are no adjustments.

2017 Q60 Red Sport 400 Pure White / Monaco Red
Premium Plus Package 3.0t Sport / Silver Optic Fiber Interior Trim / INFINITI Radiant Illuminated Kick Plates / INFINITI Radiant Grille Emblem / Infiniti Sport Exhaust Kit
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 09:45 PM

To get to the full suite of audio settings, you have to go to:

Settings > Audio > Sound Settings

Pressing the gear icon from the Audio/Radio screen doesn't take you to the full suite of settings - intuitive, eh?

And as Bevo pointed out, Bose Audio Pilot is the equivalent of speed sensitive volume in this car. But try playing around with the other settings.

I'm a salesperson at an
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
in the Bay Area. Since many interweb jockeys think all salesmen are untruthful scum, certain users here suggested I put in a signature so you can completely disregard everything I say. YMMV.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You can PM or
if you are around Northern California and want help with your Infiniti purchase decision.

Garage: 2016 Q50 AWD Red Sport Iridium Blue; 1960 Austin Healey Sprite

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Yeah, very weird. Based on 4-32 in the InTouch manual, Speed Sensitive Volume should be between Surround Vol and Driver’s Audio Stage and is described as "Automatically adjusts the volume depending on the vehicle speed. Touch [+]/[-] to change the sensitivity level". Maybe it's a hold over from past manuals and they only have the Bose Audio Pilot option now. Oh well. Thanks.
Bevo Horn likes this.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 11:52 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnoch View Post
Yeah, very weird. Based on 4-32 in the InTouch manual, Speed Sensitive Volume should be between Surround Vol and Driver’s Audio Stage and is described as "Automatically adjusts the volume depending on the vehicle speed. Touch [+]/[-] to change the sensitivity level". Maybe it's a hold over from past manuals and they only have the Bose Audio Pilot option now. Oh well. Thanks.
The manual adjustment info is regarding the cars without audio pilot. The manual has a lot of errors.
Z74Q60, Garnoch, Bevo Horn and 1 others like this.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 12:12 PM

My understanding is that audiopilot is not the same as speed sensitive volume ...and audio pilot listens for ambien noise and makes adjustments not dependent on speed. I remember reading that somewhere in a BOSE forum.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 12:14 PM

Here you go.. I was partly right.. Not just speed but also other ambient noise (wind, etc.)

Officially known as Bose AudioPilot Noise Compensation Technology, the feature detects ambient noise levels and analyzes vehicle speed to continuously monitor and adjust the audio volume. The end result is that your music or audio programming sounds the same at a set volume no matter how fast you’re traveling, or how much ambient noise is present in the vehicle due to speed, or other factors
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
No matter what you call it or how you describe it, the volume is higher at higher speeds and lower at lower speeds, however, it's not adjustable unless "On" or "Off" is an adjustment.
1701-64D likes this.

2017 Q60 Red Sport 400 Pure White / Monaco Red
Premium Plus Package 3.0t Sport / Silver Optic Fiber Interior Trim / INFINITI Radiant Illuminated Kick Plates / INFINITI Radiant Grille Emblem / Infiniti Sport Exhaust Kit
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I've tried A LOT of different audio settings to get a sound I was happy with. I originally kept DSP like Bose Centerpoint off while keeping everything flat, similar to how I used the sound system in my 2007 G, but I found I actually enjoyed using Bose Centerpoint. I mostly hate Driver's Audio Stage though, especially if someone is in the car with you. Bose Centerpoint tricks may not be how the artist and mixer meant the music to be heard but hearing the mono elements be out in front accentuates the stereo elements around you, and I started to dig the experience. So it was time to play with settings while Bose Centerpoint was on. I'd find something I was happy with then within a few days, I'd change it looking for something better. I've been doing this since getting the car almost 2 months ago.

My goal was to find settings that work for me on a wide range of music at a wide range of volume levels so I could refrain from constantly changing my settings. I often like listening loud and that may get the bass thumping, but when I turn it down, the bass may then be too low, so I wanted an average setting that could work fine for both loudness levels. Also, modern day mixes don't sound like a lot of older mixes. I wanted to find settings that worked for both. Different genres sound different too. I wanted something that could work for classical, classic rock, current rock, pop, alternative, hard rock and even thrash metal. Granted, my settings may be different if I listened to only one type of music or listened at the same level all the time.

I've now been using the same settings for a few weeks so I think I've found my sweet spot. For a stock system, I like the new Bose quite a bit. I rented a Mercedes a few weeks ago and though the sound system was nice, and some may even prefer it, I didn't feel it was as good and there was a spike in the low-mid that drove me crazy.

I did prefer how the Mercedes had a Mid EQ setting though and not just Bass and Treble, which is ridiculous. In the Q60, I kept wanting to bump the Treble up more than one notch for some additional mid frequencies, but the problem with that is the high end then becomes much too harsh, cymbals, esses and such. What I found though is that if you push the Fade one or two notches to the front, the mid frequencies sound more pronounced simply because of which speakers are being used. The sound system is already out in front of you so I felt this worked well. I was actually really happy about hearing the mids pushed this way.

The problem with this was that though I like certain elements out in front of me, I felt I wasn't surrounded by the music, and in my car, I want to be surrounded. Part of the problem was that, at the time, I was setting the Surround Vol half way down because of being stubborn about minimizing DSP tricks. So I set the Surround Vol back to the middle again and thought okay, that actually does work better, but now that I moved the Fade a little towards the front, lets experiment with the Surround Vol up even more. I spent time with Surround Vol at varying positive levels, settling at two notches up, then I'd go back and forth between that setting and just having it in the middle to see what I liked most. So here are the sound settings I've settled on (for now at least).

Bass +2
Treble +1
Balance 0
Fade +1
Bose Centerpoint On
Bose Auto Pilot N/R
Surround Vol. +2
Driver's Audio Stage Off

Maybe someone can find this useful. What I'm curious about is trying your settings. If you post your settings, also please say what what kind of volumes you prefer and what kind of music. Because this is all subjective, I think those two pieces of information is very important to what settings work for you. Thanks, all!
liquidq60 likes this.

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 11:19 PM

I cannot adjust surround volume. I see it, but it is greyed out. The slider appears to be set in the center, but I cannot adjust it up or down. Anyone know why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page