Weird Transmission Problems 2017 Q60 RS400 - Infiniti Q60 Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Weird Transmission Problems 2017 Q60 RS400

Just passed my break in period on 2017 Q60 RS400 at 1500 miles. Purchased the vehicle a month ago.

I was driving about 75 mph in automatic, standard mode, about 2500 RPM on the Tachometer.

I pushed the throttle all the way down, and the transmission did a loud nasty clumpy shift. It was like a loud thunk as if the whole car was being kicked. It was an instantaneous thing that lasted a second, no power lag, no loss of acceleration, no delay. It almost felt like the auto transmission was shifting from gear 6 to 7 and forgetting to use the clutch.

Was able to reproduce it 2 more times with the same parameters. I am too scared to try that again. Of note, I have experienced no other problems or issues with the transmission and have done fast launches, high RPMs, etc since the break in period.

Has anyone else experiencing similar issues or any issues at all with the transmission?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 12:32 AM

Garage
im sorry to hear that man :/
My RS400 seemed to break in just fine and I havent had any transmission issues with it and I feel like most of the guys on here have had fairly smooth break in periods.
You should get it checked up and keep us updated!
Best of luck to you bro
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 06:30 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Since you can reproduce it I'd take it to the dealership.
saboxerman likes this.

2017 Q60 Red Sport 400 Pure White / Monaco Red
Premium Plus Package 3.0t Sport / Silver Optic Fiber Interior Trim / INFINITI Radiant Illuminated Kick Plates / INFINITI Radiant Grille Emblem / Infiniti Sport Exhaust Kit

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 01:45 PM

Sounds like it's the diff clunking on it or something rear end related. Definitely take it straight to the dealership and get it dealt with asap. You don't want a worn transmission to be cause of anything else needing to be changed.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo Horn View Post
Since you can reproduce it I'd take it to the dealership.
Agreed. Take a tech for a ride and you do it for them while they are in the car.
Bevo Horn likes this.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
So here is an update for everyone that is following this thread.

Took the car to the dealership. Went on a ride with the service technician and we couldn't reproduce the problem.

Went home and drove it around for a few more days, no problems.

Today I was driving it with the same parameters...about 70-75 MPH and hit the throttle and it happened again.

It was a very rough shift. Not quite as bad as before but very annoying and enough to make me go "ouch".

What I neglected to mention in my initial post is that I had a Stillen CAI installed because I didn't even think it mattered.

This leads to the discussion I had with the lead service technician. He made mention of my aftermarket Stillen CAI. He brought up the fact that these Stillen CAI have been causing problems with the rough transmission shifts and strongly advised me to remove it and install the stock Intake. He also advised me in as nice of a way as possible that should anything happen to the transmission, Infiniti may not honor the warranty. This is if they determine that the CAI is directly responsible for the transmission damage. He strongly encouraged me to remove the aftermarket intake and replace it with stock intake so that I would not risk my warranty.

I am on the verge of listening to his advice and returning to stock.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenboy444 View Post

Took the car to the dealership. Went on a ride with the service technician and we couldn't reproduce the problem.

Today I was driving it with the same parameters...about 70-75 MPH and hit the throttle and it happened again.

It was a very rough shift. Not quite as bad as before but very annoying and enough to make me go "ouch".

What I neglected to mention in my initial post is that I had a Stillen CAI installed because I didn't even think it mattered.

This leads to the discussion I had with the lead service technician. He made mention of my aftermarket Stillen CAI. He brought up the fact that these Stillen CAI have been causing problems with the rough transmission shifts and strongly advised me to remove it and install the stock Intake. He also advised me in as nice of a way as possible that should anything happen to the transmission, Infiniti may not honor the warranty. This is if they determine that the CAI is directly responsible for the transmission damage. He strongly encouraged me to remove the aftermarket intake and replace it with stock intake so that I would not risk my warranty.

I've been seeing very similar posts on the Facebook pages about issues with the Stillen CAI.

Seems like there is a lot of people pissed at Stillen.

2010 G37X - Gone
'17 Q60 RS
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:

I wonder if the problem would resolve itself if you switched back to stock. As some have stated, it could be an issue that is already present but made worse by the installation of the CAI. Since you've felt the issue first hand, I'm curious if you might still feel it (to a lesser degree) if you went back to stock.

Either way, I'd listen to the tech for now. If your transmission craps up (and there's a lot we still don't know about the robustness of it), Infiniti may take the easy way out and void that warranty. I doubt Stillen or any other third party would come to your aid to fix your transmission in the event of a failure leaving you on the hook for the fixing/replacement costs.

Let us know what you decide and if you still feel the transmission acting up if you switch back. Also, on a side note confirm with your service tech if a note was made in your dealership file that you had a CAI installed (and try to get them to remove it if they did).

Red when moderating
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. Every other color when just being any ol' forum member
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Well, I removed the Stillen intake and installed the stock back on this morning. I do miss the turbo spooling sound. Also, I am not sure if it was psychological, but I think I did feel an improvement in acceleration and power with the Stillen system.

I will give everyone an update in the next few weeks if the transmission jerk/thunk thing happens again.

In the meantime, I guess I am going to sell the Stillen intake system on e-bay. Even if the transmission thunk happens with the stock intake, I've decided to stay with stock. If anyone is interested in purchasing the stillen, PM me.

The service department at my dealership is actually extremely decent and cool about. They did not make any mention about the Stillen intake system being on there. He emphasized that they would do nothing to jeopardize my warranty claims with Infiniti because they want a happy and satisfied customer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170610_111915.jpg (202.0 KB, 48 views)
testrage likes this.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:

The service department at my dealership is actually extremely decent and cool about. They did not make any mention about the Stillen intake system being on there. He emphasized that they would do nothing to jeopardize my warranty claims with Infiniti because they want a happy and satisfied customer.
THIS!

This is how customers should be treated. Not like morons (despite sometimes deserving it), not like outcasts or punks or criminals.

I'm a salesperson at an
in the Bay Area. Since many interweb jockeys think all salesmen are untruthful scum, certain users here suggested I put in a signature so you can completely disregard everything I say. YMMV.

You can PM or
if you are around Northern California and want help with your Infiniti purchase decision.

Garage: 2016 Q50 AWD Red Sport Iridium Blue; 1960 Austin Healey Sprite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page