Stillen Intake Owners - Experience so far? - Infiniti Q60 Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Stillen Intake Owners - Experience so far?

So, I know there are a few owners here with the Stillen intakes installed in their Q60s....how is it holding up so far?

There is a large thread on Facebook and also on InfinitiQ50.org where a lot of people are having issues with the "jerky" shifting on low RPMs when taking your foot off the pedal, which is an issue that has been noted by several Q60 owners here....a lot of people are seeing this as a legitimate problem with the intakes and may not be good for these VR30s overall.

Those of you with Stillen intakes and over 300 miles on them to let the ECU adjust, are you still experiencing hard jerking during downshifts? Are you going to leave your intakes on? I have to say, seeing/reading about these issues have made me hold off on buying these, and I was literally just a few clicks away from placing an order with Marco of ACG today...

Relevant discussion links:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/5557...5816084203038/ - (Closed Q50/Q60 group, you must be a member to see the thread)

hows your experience with Stillen intake? - Infiniti Q50 Forum - Q50 Forums

Pic of post for non-FB group members:
LoganB likes this.

Last edited by Jayce; 06-05-2017 at 05:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 07:10 PM

Garage
I understand what people are saying when they feel "jerky shifting" or when the car jerks when they pull off the throttle at low rpms because that is exactly what has been going on with my car.
Everyone sounds great and nothing seems off during acceleration, there is no jerking unless my foot is taken off the gas at a low speed/rpm. I currently have about 1000 miles on the stillen intake and it still jerks from low rpms.
Its def noticeable but I love the sound of the turbos spooling Im just gonna keep it on for now hahaha
I just hope it isnt straining our engines too much :/
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 07:52 PM

still seeing this on mine after 500+ miles. dont think it has been doing it as much as when i first installed them though...

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 10:24 PM

Garage
Almost pulled the trigger. Guess I won't be getting those.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 12:09 AM

Garage
Installing mine this week also making an install video, i'll let you guys know!

Thanks,
Marco

2017 Q60 Red Sport
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 05:09 AM

Hmmm damnit is it really that "bad". Just purchased one but it hasnt shipped out yet, now second thinking ny decision
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSNRX View Post
Hmmm damnit is it really that "bad". Just purchased one but it hasnt shipped out yet, now second thinking ny decision
No one will know how bad it is unless people start having engine/transmission problems and the like...people could also live with this jerkiness for years and never have a single actual drivetrain issue.

When these things happen, it's up to each individual to decide if it's worth it on their expensive car....but for me, i'm probably holding off due to the abundance of reports of this and the fact that we don't have a lot of data around how bad this might be for the engine/transmission, if at all....paying $500 to take a risk for turbo spool sound isn't worth it for me unless Stillen comes out with an official response that acknowledges this...wouldn't be the first time they've had to come out with a revision of an intake to fix things.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 02:31 PM

Garage
Jayce I swear you've had a thing against these intakes since DAY ONE! Just kidding man

It's still there if I don't manage the throttle release the right way, but since teaching myself how to mitigate it with some conscious throttle control it's been a moot issue for me really. I'm installing my FI DP's this weekend so here's to hoping it smoothes out a bit. If not I'll entertain the idea of retrofitting the OEM airbox to the Stillen tubes. Bottom line is it doesn't really bother me cause I know how to manage it.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 02:44 PM

Garage
And just looking thru the Q50 thread you listed Jayce I saw someone posted that resetting the ECU via battery disconnect and letting the ECU re-learn was showing some promise. I may do that after the DP's go in for giggles. I'm actually quite ashamed I hadn't thought of doing that before now lol
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganB View Post
And just looking thru the Q50 thread you listed Jayce I saw someone posted that resetting the ECU via battery disconnect and letting the ECU re-learn was showing some promise. I may do that after the DP's go in for giggles. I'm actually quite ashamed I hadn't thought of doing that before now lol
Just be careful, quite a few folks have already done an ECU reset and have driven 500-1k miles and are still having the issue...

Honestly i've wanted these intakes since day 1 due to the sweet turbo spool sound....but i thought it was crazy how quickly people were throwing these in their cars without regard for tuning or any hard data for how this would affect AFR, etc., especially given all the QC complaints against Stillen with the first couple of batches (and the insane $500 price for basically 2 cone filters and tubing)....and now, we're getting reports that there are potential issues and I just want to a) make Q60 owners aware and b) get feedback from people with these intakes on their Q60s to add more data points to the Q50 owners so that Stillen can take action instead of ignoring people.
Coahman likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page