Infiniti Q60 Forums banner

Possible Safety Features for the next-generation Q60

7K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  cfrp 
#1 ·
Infiniti has been on the forefront when it comes to advanced safety features in its vehicles. Just look at the Q50 (the sedan version of the upcoming Q60.) It has predictive forward collision warning, a blind spot monitoring system, a lane departure warning system, active lane control and a standard backup camera. Are these safety features wonderful news that are going to keep us all safer, or are they features that let lazy and bad drivers be lazier and worse drivers? Here is a little pro and con on the safety features we will likely see come with the Q60 coupe.

Pre-Collision Warning

This system uses sensors in the front of the car to detect distances of objects in front of it, relative to the speed and trajectory of the vehicle. If a crash appears imminent, the vehicle will warn the driver.

This system has merits. If you are not looking at the road and the driver in front of you slams his brakes, you will be given the chance to do something about it. The other side of that coin is that it makes it more okay to drive distracted. Why pay attention when your car can for you?

Pre-collision braking

This system is essentially the same as the precollision warning system except you need not even apply the brakes -- the car does it for you.

The benefit of this system is if you aren't braking hard enough to prevent a crash, the system will press harder on the brakes to stop you from hitting whatever is in front of you, but I don't think that a car automatically braking for you is a sign of a good driver. In fact, I think it lets bad drivers get away with more.

Lane Departure Warning System

Sensors monitor the dotted lines on the road. If they sense that the vehicle is drifting out of its lane, it will alert the driver.

The benefits of this system are obvious, if you start traveling over the double-yellow line, you will be warned. Countless other "wrong lane situations" can also be avoided. But again, now you don't have to pay as much attention to where you are going because the car will tell you if you start to veer. With it watching the road, now I am more free to send that text message.

Active Lane Control

Same as the last, but now the car will actually steer for you.

The benefit of this system is that it helps to stop people from over correcting if they turn to stop from drifting into one lane, but should we be comfortable with a car taking over steering from us forcibly? What if you veer in order to avoid something on the road? I don't want this system to stop me from lane drifting, only to cause me to hit that dog that just ran across the road.

Blind Spot Monitoring

Sensors determine of there are objects or vehicles in your blind spots.

It is impossible to see 360 degrees outside your car. The pillars are there, and they aren't going anywhere soon. This system can also promote excessive passing. Drivers can use the system to determine if they are clear of the car on the left or right before cutting them off. Other drivers may not even use their mirrors anymore.

Now all of these features come as options on the Q50 sedan, so one can only imagine that they will be offered on the Q60 coupe as well. Are you interested in these options? Do you think that they are doing more harm than good?

Is this progress good progress, or just progress for the sake of progress?

See less See more
#11 ·
It all comes down to people not being trusted with their own safety. We don't think you're responsible enough to handle you're own life. Don;t you see we're treated more like assets than free humans. Protect the revenue streams!

Toyotas unintended acceleration is a microcosm of this effect. When people are bred to believe that someone else is responsible for their safety bad things happen. They have no concept of emergency reaction. Think about it. Accelerator stuck, brakes wont do squat, what do you do? Neutral, pistons through the hood. How many people did that? None...

Mandatory "Vehicle-to-Vehicle" Communications Coming To U.S. Cars | Zero Hedge

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.