Keep Dunlop RFT, or replace w/ non run flat tires? - Infiniti Q60 Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Keep Dunlop RFT, or replace w/ non run flat tires?

I will be purchasing the wheel and tire insurance from Infiniti ($600 est), since the stock Dunlop SP SPORT 5000 DSST CTT
are $421 ea, and I believe the stock 19" rims go for almost $1000 ea.

I'd like a much better tire than the Dunlops since they have horrible reviews. However if I go w/ non run flats, I see some of you have stated there is no space in the trunk for a spare b/c of blocks in the trunk area. But then some have said there is a spare kit being developed by infiniti. So if there is a flat, I don't have a jack to lift the car, or donut to put on.

In my 2014 Q60 the Dunlop Sport Maxx tires were excellent in dry/wet/snow, no issues at all w/ them for the past 3 years. I'd like to have a similar experience w/ the 2017 RS AWD Q60's tires.

What's the best solution here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 02:53 PM

I believe run flats also don't offer the best performance compared to non-run flat alternatives. Those seem to be rated as Summer tires, you ran them all year? I'm assuming you get minimal ice / snow build up?

I personally ran Falken FK 453s last summer on my G37 with Nokian Hakka r2s for winter and loved them both, even though the Falkens died within 10,000 kms (partially my own fault). However, I'll be trying Super Sports this summer for the Q60, as the 4s don't come in the size I need for the rear.

2010 G37X - Gone
'17 Q60 RS
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Gauthier-Wiebe View Post
I believe run flats also don't offer the best performance compared to non-run flat alternatives. Those seem to be rated as Summer tires, you ran them all year? I'm assuming you get minimal ice / snow build up?

I personally ran Falken FK 453s last summer on my G37 with Nokian Hakka r2s for winter and loved them both, even though the Falkens died within 10,000 kms (partially my own fault). However, I'll be trying Super Sports this summer for the Q60, as the 4s don't come in the size I need for the rear.
The SP Dunlop Sport Maxx's on my '14 Q60 AWD were All Seasons. We see quite a bit of snow here in NYC, so I'm looking into Dunlop Signature HP ($184), Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ ($204) or something similar, if the stock run flats are as bad as they say.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 10:17 PM

I say live out your run flats then get some real tires from Tire Rack like Continental Xtreme's. The Insurance IMO isn't worth it but get the insurance on your new tires from Tire Rack. Also pick up a portable air compressor for $50 Bucks and keep in trunk so if you get a flat you can get to safety. Again juds IMO.

- Omenx
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 07:28 AM

Garage
Honestly whether to keep the RF's or not is entirely up to you and your wallet. The Dunlop's indeed have horrible reviews and I personally hated them so much I replaced them with Continental DWS's with little hesitation and the ride quality improved dramatically with a quieter and smoother feel.

As far as your concern about not having a spare or jack with non-RF's you can easily resolve that. You can buy a third party scissor jack from a number of places or just buy one from Infiniti (which will be exceedingly more expensive I bet). Or better yet just ask your dealer to transfer your jack and hook from your G37 to the Q60. Personally I feel that even with RF's they still should supply one with the car given the fact they have a cut out in the block in the trunk there in the first plays. As for the spare you can always just get a tire patch kit and a tire inflator that can be powered via the cig lighter in the car, that's what I do. Or just get a can of fix-a-flat and call it even.

Honestly the best solution is what gives you what you want in the end.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
I will be purchasing the wheel and tire insurance from Infiniti ($600 est), since the stock Dunlop SP SPORT 5000 DSST CTT
are $421 ea, and I believe the stock 19" rims go for almost $1000 ea.

I'd like a much better tire than the Dunlops since they have horrible reviews. However if I go w/ non run flats, I see some of you have stated there is no space in the trunk for a spare b/c of blocks in the trunk area. But then some have said there is a spare kit being developed by infiniti. So if there is a flat, I don't have a jack to lift the car, or donut to put on.

In my 2014 Q60 the Dunlop Sport Maxx tires were excellent in dry/wet/snow, no issues at all w/ them for the past 3 years. I'd like to have a similar experience w/ the 2017 RS AWD Q60's tires.

What's the best solution here?
Yeah, the RWD comes with no jack and no spare. We get this:

Continental ContiMobility Puncture Repair Kit 12v Air Compressor

I bought a used Altima jack off of ebay which is a standard Nissan scissor jack. Works great.

There is absolutely no place under the trunk deck for even a space saver spare tire.

2017 Q60 Red Sport 400 Pure White / Monaco Red
Premium Plus Package 3.0t Sport / Silver Optic Fiber Interior Trim / INFINITI Radiant Illuminated Kick Plates / INFINITI Radiant Grille Emblem / Infiniti Sport Exhaust Kit
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 01:27 PM

The strange odyssey of the Q60 'trunk'....The RS 400 AWD comes with run flats with a questionable reputation and a lug wrench. No spare, no jack, no tow hook. There is a place to store Bevo's repair kit in a cubbie in the side of the trunk. It looks like Infiniti went to extra trouble to spot weld metal blocks in the 'spare tire well' to make sure it could not be used for much of anything. I didn't even get a full sheet of insulation pad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1096.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	545.4 KB
ID:	4873   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1098.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	318.1 KB
ID:	4881   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1100.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	369.6 KB
ID:	4889   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1099.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	343.3 KB
ID:	4897  
testrage and Bevo Horn like this.

1974 260Z 2+2..Original owner
1989 Maxima SE...Gone
1990 300ZX NA...Gone
1990 300 ZX TT...Gone
2002 Infiniti Q45
2009 370Z...Gone
2017 Infiniti Q60 RS400 AWD
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z74Q60 View Post
The strange odyssey of the Q60 'trunk'....The RS 400 AWD comes with run flats with a questionable reputation and a lug wrench. No spare, no jack, no tow hook. There is a place to store Bevo's repair kit in a cubbie in the side of the trunk. It looks like Infiniti went to extra trouble to spot weld metal blocks in the 'spare tire well' to make sure it could not be used for much of anything. I didn't even get a full sheet of insulation pad.
I'm wondering if those metal blocks are to make the structure more rigid to handle the 400HP?

2017 Q60 Red Sport 400 Pure White / Monaco Red
Premium Plus Package 3.0t Sport / Silver Optic Fiber Interior Trim / INFINITI Radiant Illuminated Kick Plates / INFINITI Radiant Grille Emblem / Infiniti Sport Exhaust Kit
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo Horn View Post
I'm wondering if those metal blocks are to make the structure more rigid to handle the 400HP?
I need to look at them closely and I'm not a structural engineer (mechanical & aerospace though), but they don't seem properly set up to add any torsional rigidity from 350lbft of torque. If anything I wonder if they were cutouts made to the BIW to help during the assembly process and then haphazardly welded over...dunno. Or there could have been some kind of clearance or other issue (suspension components??) that they fixed with a band-aid solution (thereby ensuring no spare tire).

Red when moderating
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. Every other color when just being any ol' forum member
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 04:13 PM

I have seen mini versions of floor jacks for those who want something safer that they can have more confidence in. Local auto parts stores and even wal-mart should have them. I have more confidence in those jacks than scissor jacks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page