post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 12:07 PM
IridiumRS400

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Right.On.Q! View Post
Also, according to one of the oil mfrs, direct-injected motors produce more "soot" than other fuel delivery systems, and that will also turn the motor oil darker.
DI can also cause a higher % of fuel dilution in the oil, which depends on drive cycles, mods (i.e., higher boost levels). In my case, the Used Oil Analysis (UOA) showed 2% fuel dilution in a 5W30 oil after 4500 miles.

Why be concerned about fuel in oil, you may ask? For one thing, it changes the viscosity of the oil. When it was tested, my 5W30 oil was effectively performing as a 5W20 oil with the entrained fuel. If I had been running the 0W20 oil, would the loss of viscosity been similar? I shutter to think about it.

In addition, the "soot" caused by DI can result in carbon deposits on the backside of the intake valves. With that in mind, I'm currently using Valvoline 5W30 Modern Engine Oil, available in a 5 qt. jug at your local Wally World, and using Top-Tier gas (Chevron).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0474 (2).jpg
Views:	90
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	18644   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0476 (2).jpg
Views:	81
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	18646  

2017 Q60 Red Sport AWD Iridium Blue / Monaco Red / Premium Plus Package 3.0t Sport / Infiniti Sport Mats / FI Full Catted DPs & CBE / Stoptech Trophy BBK FR & RR w/SS-Braided Brake Lines / Infiniti HE / Infiniti Intakes / AMS HPFP / Ecutek Tune / BMS Pedal Tuner / Infiniti Radiant Sport Grille / EMM Tuning CF Foglight Finishers / CF Duckbill RR Spoiler / Mishimoto OCC / Stillen Rear Stab Future: AMS LPFP / AMS CF DS / Z1 LSD / Vorsteiner 20" VFF 112s (Staggered) / Michelin Pilot 4Ss

Last edited by IridiumRS400; 08-07-2018 at 12:13 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome