7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 04:07 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Trade in values of Q60

This thread comes up as last week I was helping my girlfriend compare a few cars (she is not into cars at all, and ended up buying a pre owned Accord V6). We were on Carvana.com and there is an option there where you can get a quote for a trade in value. For kicks, I put in the info of my Q60, and was a bit surprised when they returned $29,500 for my 2017 Q60 RedSport RWD. I have 21.5k miles at the moment, and last July walked out the door purchasing it for 38K.

She is better at math than me, but basically said every month I have driven that car, it has lost over $1000 in value, outpacing most cars in it's class.

Now of course I know that is just one data point, and if you sell private you likely could get more. I also know these models aren't ideal from a resale perspective, and curious to know for those who have purchased in the past 12 months or who have looked at trading in, have you seen similar numbers.

2017 Q60 RS400 (Liquid Platinum)
Premium Plus Pkg
So Far:
3M Crystalline Tint 35% All Around, 70% Windshield
Uniden R3 Radar Detector Hardwired
Next Up: De-badge and chrome delete, carbon fiber side mirrors and trunk lip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just went through a similar thing last year. Dealer wanted me to trade my 2015 Q50 in and offered me 18000. Paid 54000 for it less than 2 years before from that same dealer.

Well a year later and many km's more and it was in an accident and insurance gave me 27000 for it.

They make their money on the trades for sure. Also remember the trade in value you got doesnt include taxes so it's worth a bit more.

When buying my Q50 I traded a Honda civic in awesome condition I for 3500. They sold it a week later for 7900. I was told by a friend in the trade that they make the most money in on trades .

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Garage
Dealerships make a lot of money selling pre-owned vehicles

2017 Q60 Red Sport 400 Pure White / Monaco Red
Premium Plus Package 3.0t Sport / Silver Optic Fiber Interior Trim / INFINITI Radiant Illuminated Kick Plates / INFINITI Radiant Grille Emblem / Infiniti Sport Exhaust Kit

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo Horn View Post
Dealerships make a lot of money selling pre-owned vehicles
Sounds like there haven't been a lot of guys who yet have felt the sting of trading in our Q60. I know many have leases, and turn them in. I would be curious to know the ratio on the forum who are purchasing vs leasing.

2017 Q60 RS400 (Liquid Platinum)
Premium Plus Pkg
So Far:
3M Crystalline Tint 35% All Around, 70% Windshield
Uniden R3 Radar Detector Hardwired
Next Up: De-badge and chrome delete, carbon fiber side mirrors and trunk lip
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 09:14 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Wow that sucks some Infiniti's don't hold they value like Lexus and Mercedes, I bought mine instead of leasing but now reading this post I should have lease it due to value depreciation. However before I was looking at the GTR but could find one that was not pure most that I found was Souped up and then put back as stock even some dealer's was trying to sell it! Anyway I look at other manufacture, aftermarket parts and that's Y I purchased this platform.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
So a lot of those online quotes use a system like the Kelly Blue Book Instant Cash offer. This is essentially what they feel they could get for it at auction. Carvana gets a lot of their vehicles (if not all) from auctions. To get max trade value you would be best going to a reputable Infiniti dealer as they can certify it. Sure private party will always net you more, but also what cost is your time dealing with shmucks on Craigslist.
testrage and skid like this.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I sold about 7 cars online vs trading them and for me that’s the way to go. Trade in figures are an insult and most of the time you get robbed.
You net more period selling yourself. For our 2017 Q60 premium midnight black in Jan 2019 paid 33,000 miles paid $28,000
Options , Navi, heated steering wheel , auto start , missing the other great options, blind spot etc. but when you intend on keeping it for 10 years you don’t worry about value dropping.
Our 2010 Acura ZDX Advance was $60,000 new
Jan 2018 I paid $23,000.
Well bad example cause my cars old !!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
keep in mind when you buy the car too..your paying full sales tax upfront, unless your state gives you back parital sales tax back. On a 38k car...thats a few grand in sales tax if you live in a blue state.

All luxury cars have massive depreciation...guess what a 50k luxury car does the exact same thing as a 25k civic. If you look at a cpo 2017 is200t with 36k miles on it, they go for around 24kish when new they were 45-48k. When you look at 2017 CPO civic ex-l with 36k miles on it, they go for 20k when they were 25k new.

I almost had my gf get the cpo IS200t since i thought it was a lot of car for the money (turbo i4, leather, led head lights) for 24k but i was able to get her a new 2019 civic ex-l for 23k with 10 miles on it, we thought it was a better choice since she's a student. I told her just to drive it until she graduates and she can get a luxury car afterwards.

But to be honest when your starting to get 30k+, its usually safer to lease and buy the car after the lease if you like it. Most manufacturers tend to offer lower interest rates and lease cash versus buying. For example infinit lease is 0.075% interest versus the 2.9% interest if you buy.

if your going to keep the car for 10+ years then depreciation doesnt matter, if you switch cars every 3yrs, leasing is cheaper.
Omenx and rdavisq60 like this.

Current ride: 2018 Q60 Redsport AWD

Last 3 cars
2008 BMW 335xi

2014 Subaru WRX

2003 G35
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
negotiate a lower residual price

Anyone with a lease try and negotiate a lower price than the residual? My 17 Q60 RS has like a $37K residual with another 9 months left the car isnt worth that now.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Lease residuals are a fixed number from your contract signing. It is not the dealer who comes up with that price, it's Infiniti Corporate. In a situation where you want to buy out your lease you can either just do it, or turn it in and see if the dealer can bid on it from the leasing company. The latter option is however not guaranteed to get you your car back as it is a nationwide auction for the vehicle.

Best bet, re-lease a 2019 since the residuals have gone down in line with the market. However incentives are not super strong right now on these cars but in 9 months, holiday time usually has some great incentives. Take advantage of the pull ahead program if you do this, they waive your last two payments, get you into a new car 2 months earlier and get you an extra 500 bucks towards a new Infiniti in addition to incentives and discounts.
TemjinX2 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page