• 1 Post By Anthonya182

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Buying used infiniti Q60 3.0T concerns

Hi I am new to infiniti and I am currently looking at a 2017 Q60 3.0T. The car has 45,000 miles on it. What should I expect for future service, engine and transmission reliability, turbo life and overall car reliability and performance.
gipsonke likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Reynolds View Post
Hi I am new to infiniti and I am currently looking at a 2017 Q60 3.0T. The car has 45,000 miles on it. What should I expect for future service, engine and transmission reliability, turbo life and overall car reliability and performance.
The motor is relatively new (2016), so there are always some growing pains with new platforms, especially one as complex as the VR30DDTT. Overall the motor seems to be robust and definitely responds well to mods. The transmission may not be the hottest thing on the street, but it's robust to handle whatever the stock turbos are capable of and then some. There is a known serpentine belt alignment issue that is being watched by many. Turbo is good to about 500whp or thereabouts. Minor mods like tune/exhaust/downpipes people are making 400+whp and 450+ftlbs and giving domestic V8's a run for their money. Nobody really has high miles yet on them so long-term reliability is still a question, but there's no reason to think that they will fall apart at xxxxxx miles.

2016+ Premium, JB4+fuel wires+meth, BMS HE, Z1 full catless DPs, Megan Y-pipe. 18" TSW's with 275/40/18's all around. [email protected]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 08:58 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Buying used infiniti Q60 3.0T concerns

Quote:

I've owned my 2017 Q60 3.0t Premium AWD for about five months now. Bought it from
Carvana with almost 40K miles on it.

I too was new to this particular platform but not to modding cars. This forum has been extremely helpful to me. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here. Their recommendations and opinions have assisted me in what I'm going to do with my car. I just took it in for its 50,000 mile checkout.

Here are some things to consider:

Turbo reliability and BOVs.
This is probably the most I'll call it, controversial subject (next to oil catch cans) on this forum.

Seriously.

I have some concern about turbo reliability when pushing the boost, but I have ordered and received HKS BOVs. I also have a JB4 which I have not installed yet.

I have been getting to know each one of the service departments of the two Infiniti dealers near me.

One seems to be much more "mod friendly" than the other. For example, one prominently displays most of the AMS Red Alpha stuff, as well as the Stillen intake (which I have) and cat back (which is on order) right in the display cases of their service and parts department. The other dealer's parts guy doesn't even know the difference between a radiator and heat exchanger?

IF I have any issues, that are supposed to be covered under warranty, I know which dealer I'm going to!

However, even at the non mod friendly dealership, when the service representative dropped my car off to me, he asked me if I had any questions about my car? I took the time to chat him up, about mods. Turns out he has a 2017 Iridium blue like me. I asked him about mods...the first thing he said was "oh are you going to get BOVs?, These cars don't come from the factory with them, and it really helps the reliability!"

Then when I asked him about warranty coverage, he said that even though there's no way BOVs could hurt the engine, Infiniti is very ANAL (that was the word he used) about warranty coverage and will "try to find any excuse" (to void your warranty).

He then nervously looked around as if to make sure no one overheard him.

I asked him if HE had BOVs? He sheepishly said NO...but was going to put them on after his warranty had expired. So I've got a feeling that, like a lot of us, the stock OEM hoses and other components are in a box in the garage, ready to go back on the car should a possible warranty covered issue arise. IF something happens that is catastrophic I will probably do the same. Except for the Stillen air intake, catback and Infiniti purchased and installed HE. I'm not going to take those off and I'm not going to play stupid games with Infiniti on stuff like that. The burden of proof is on them to prove that these mods caused the failure.

Check out this very informative video from @BoostInMotion regarding mods and warranties.

https://youtu.be/b4_oamLZdfk

Pretty much in agreement. I'd highly recommend subscribing to his channel as well as @MidwestHooligan. Both being lots of experience and knowledge on modding these cars.

My oil change interval is 5,000 miles.
Religiously. By either of the dealers (i alternate between them). I would never follow the recommended 10,000 OCI with these cars. You're just asking for trouble.

I'm going to perform walnut blasting between now and the (major) 60,000 mile maintenance. Which will probably be the last time my Infiniti sees a dealer. After that I'm switching to Valvoline ME (modern engine) oil. I'll also have my dual Oil Catch cans installed, one can connected to the PCV and the other to the twin valve cover ("breathers"). Gonna also most likely install the Burger Tuning meth inject kit, which will help as an octane booster as well as help keep the valves, etc clean after the walnut blasting.

The Alpha heat exchanger (or something similar) is a must for these cars, as they suffer from heat soak badly. I have just ordered the Infiniti branded one and will of course have the "mod friendly" dealer install it.

I've got RSR down springs, front only so far. And the final "major" mod is either the carbon fiber or aluminum drive shaft. Haven't decided yet. And that will pretty much be it.

I buy cars like this to mod. So (even in California) I plan to enjoy this car to the fullest. Will I track it at Willow? No, probably not. I'm not sold on the stability and predictability (handling, engine management, throttle response, etc) enough to feel safe tracking this car. Me and my son will probably buy a pair a cheap Miatas for that! (Or my favorite car I've owned in the past, the Nissan 240SX).

But occasionally will hit one of the local strips for a little father/son Infiniti Q60 vs Mustang GT drag race.

I don't know what your intentions and plans for your car are, but if you're leaving it stock...i definitely don't think you'll have any problems with it. This engine seems pretty strong and robust. If you're really concerned about reliability I would recommend a 3-5K oil change interval. My local dealers are always running specials on oil changes and I never spend more than $40-$60, even at the dealer, for oil changes.

Hope this helps. I love these cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Omenx likes this.

Last edited by gipsonke; 05-19-2019 at 09:03 PM.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
So an update. I bought a 2015 Q60s with 21k miles. I've heard the transmissions aren't the best. Anything I should know about owning this car. I know they are basically the g37
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
So an update. I bought a 2015 Q60s with 21k miles. I've heard the transmissions aren't the best. Anything I should know about owning this car. I know they are basically the g37
I haven't heard of any reliability issues with the transmission. The complaints have been the shifts aren't "crisp" like a dual-clutch transmission.

2017 Q60 Red Sport 400 Pure White / Monaco Red
Premium Plus Package 3.0t Sport / Silver Optic Fiber Interior Trim / INFINITI Radiant Illuminated Kick Plates / INFINITI Radiant Grille Emblem / Infiniti Sport Exhaust Kit
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Quote:

i havent heard anything in terms of reliablity. you pretty bought bought the most mature version of the vq37. You do notice a difference in shift speeds between the 7spd on the vq37 and the 7spd on the vr30. Their the same transmission but they improved the programming. i noticed the 7spd shifts faster the vr30 in my q60 compared to my friends dads 2015 q50.
Bevo Horn likes this.

Current ride: 2017 BMW M2 6spd

Last cars
2018 Q60 Redsport AWD

2008 BMW 335xi AWD

2014 Subaru WRX AWD

2003 G35 RWD

2002 Mercedes C32 AMG RWD
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Whats the price? To me its to many miles. I have a 2017 and only have 28k miles.
you can find 2018 used with 12 to 14k miles for half the price of a new Q60.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I recently picked up a 2018 Q60 3.0t Luxe AWD with 30K on it for a good price. I got mine from an infiniti dealership and the car is certified so its under warranty until 2024 (unlimited miles), so if you are worried about reliability an extended warranty (especially the one from infiniti) is nice peace of mind.

My previous car was a WRX and while I wouldn't call it super unreliable it definitely incurred some additional maintenance costs as the miles went up that I wasn't expecting or planning for (2x clutch replacements over the life of the car @ ~$1,000 each, head gasket replacement @ ~$2,500, radiator replacement, thermostat replacement, etc.) so for me the extra cost of the warranty was well worth it to not have to worry about anything breaking down for the next several years.

Of course, having the extended warranty makes it harder to mod, but these cars respond so well to basic FBO mods that I don't think that will be a problem for me. My previous several vehicles have been heavily modified and while I enjoyed them I wanted to keep this one closer to stock for reliability and longevity.
Richard Hul likes this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by helterstupid View Post
Welcome to the nightmare that is Infiniti warranty in 2019!

My experience is like this:

dealership: "this is the problem"

nissan: "prove it"

dealership: "we just kinda know, from our experience and factory training from Nissan, plus we've seen this dozens of times"

nissan: "okay whatever. if you replace the part you have to send it to us, and if we determine that wasn't the problem, then your service department does not get paid for the part or the labor, you will have to pay us instead, if this happens enough, you will eventually get in trouble and might lose your job"

dealership" "but we see this a lot we know wha-"

nissan: "fuckin try us. do it, test us. see what happens. what you gonna do, huh? fly to japan and argue with us?"

dealership: "w-w-why are you doing this nissan??"

nissan: "our QA program was fake. we are being investigated by Japanese regulators. Our CEO is in prison. Our President quit to work for Dyson. We missed sales targets by miles and just canned the top two execs in North America. We just notified shareholders that our profits will miss targets by 45% due to the scandal around our CVT transmissions which will cost us at least 500 million dollars over the next year to repair every CVT transmission we sold. This, combined with all of our other massive institutional failures that have come to light in the last two years, means that we are hyper vigilant about warranties and inclined to just deny most warranty repairs in a manner that make it look like the dealership is at fault, when really, we have just ran out of money. We will literally attempt to come up with any excuse to prevent the cost of repairs. If you keep pushing us, we will send a field engineer some time in the next two weeks or so to deny everything, make you look like fools, and further strain our relationship."

tl;dr- Nissan 2019 is in absolute financial shambles, and getting ANY warranty work is like pulling teeth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I don't believe its THAT bad as several people in the FB groups have been able to get warranty work for the serpentine belt, and some blown motors in some cases. Maybe Nissan is more inclined to take care of you if its at an Infiniti dealer?

Regardless Nissan definitely has problems right now with the Ghosn scandal and heavily discounting its vehicles for years to hit sales targets. I believe, and hope, that management will align itself and they will right the ship. I think they have the assets (the brand itself is still good and they are at the forefront of EV and driver assistance tech) but the product line lacks focus and too many vehicles have been allowed to stagnate without refreshes while competitors have caught up or surpassed them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page