44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Unhappy Another drive belt problem

So apparently I thought I'd be safe regarding the drive belt issue, but not, it just happened yesterday while driving on the highway. Battery light comes up first, then engine light and car starts to bog down, pull over and pop the hood. There's a blue liquid spilled all over the engine. Towed the car to the dealer Sunday, got a call today from them saying the drive belt ripped apart. /cry

Funny (or not) enough the car just came out of the dealer 2 days ago, took it there to complain about a wobble around 30 km/h (which they told me it was normal, due to the engine and rpm - total bullshit, anyone driving it can feel the wobble). Oh yeah, I also complained about a plastic noise coming from the center console where they told me it would be 250 bucks to try to fix plus no guarantees and they even said it could make it worse - like WTF with this dealer?!

Last edited by JonnyB; 06-10-2019 at 05:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 01:37 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Garage
What model/year?
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
My 2018 q60 coupe also has a constant plastic noise from the front entertainment system.. cant decipher where it actually comes from but i noticed if my knee is pressed hard against it sometimes it simmers down lol

2018 Platinum Graphite Q60 AWD

post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
i still think its because nissan uses cheap belts. I know nissan ranks near the bottom in terms of supplier relationships. Nissan is probably getting the bottom of the barrel belts. i wondering if theres a belt upgrade from gates or continental.
testrage and staying_tuned like this.

Current ride: 2017 BMW M2 6spd

Last cars
2018 Q60 Redsport AWD

2008 BMW 335xi AWD

2014 Subaru WRX AWD

2003 G35 RWD

2002 Mercedes C32 AMG RWD
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TemjinX2 View Post
I know nissan ranks near the bottom in terms of supplier relationships. Nissan is probably getting the bottom of the barrel belts.
This is so true based on my own experience working for Nissan. The only OEM I've heard of that treats their suppliers worse is VW. However, it's been a few years since I worked there so things may have improved (but I doubt it).

OP (@JonnyB), GL with your car. I'd push back with paying $250 to fix the plastic noise. You could try doing it yourself (the tech will basically take the panels apart and wrap a dense foam around the clips so they don't squeak). Heck, you could probably get a local audio shop to do a much better job (and for that price, they might even add a layer of sound damper to various surfaces).

FWIW, my old GTR tech asked for $100 to fix some plastic on plastic noises from my center console on my old GTR. No way in h*ll that I would pay $250 for a debatable if it'll work fix on any car.

Red when moderating
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. Every other color when just being any ol' forum member
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by byanchu View Post
What model/year?

2017 Q60 Red Sport AWD (from Ontario)
post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testrage View Post
This is so true based on my own experience working for Nissan. The only OEM I've heard of that treats their suppliers worse is VW. However, it's been a few years since I worked there so things may have improved (but I doubt it).

from what i read it was mainly ghosn with his 90s style GM pushing suppliers to hit a certain price point vs Toyota/honda working with suppliers to reach their performance and reliability goals together. GM/Ford in the last 10yrs adapted a similar attitude as toyota with suppliers and has resulted in improvement in the quality of their cars...seems like the opposite has been happening with nissan since 2006.
testrage likes this.

Last cars
2018 Q60 Redsport AWD

2008 BMW 335xi AWD

2014 Subaru WRX AWD

2003 G35 RWD

post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 04:37 PM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TemjinX2 View Post
I wondering if there's a belt upgrade from gates or continental.
Continental - No.
Goodyear - No.
Gates (P/N K060766A) - Yes
Dayco (P/N A060767) - Yes

I just ordered a Gates Serpentine Belt for my '17 Q60 Red Sport w/21k miles. No apparent alignment issues, but the tensioner indicator is between the mid-point (new) and the limit mark, so some stretch has occurred.

The Gates P/N is K060766A, which I got directly from Gates Technical Support via an email request.

I did not find any online sources for this P/N, but O'Reilly's carries Gates belts local to me. I had to see the Manager to get the belt special ordered (the P/N is a valid number in their ordering system).

Price TBD, but unless it is priced over $75, it's good as sold.
testrage, Bevo Horn and TemjinX2 like this.

2017 Q60 Red Sport AWD Iridium Blue / Monaco Red / Premium Plus Package 3.0t Sport / Infiniti Sport Mats / FI Full Catted DPs & CBE / Stoptech Trophy BBK FR & RR w/SS-Braided Brake Lines / Infiniti HE / Infiniti Intakes / AMS HPFP / Ecutek Tune / BMS Pedal Tuner / Infiniti Radiant Sport Grille / EMM Tuning CF Foglight Finishers / CF Duckbill RR Spoiler / Mishimoto OCC / Stillen Rear Stab Future: AMS LPFP / AMS CF DS / Z1 LSD / Vorsteiner 20" VFF 112s (Staggered) / Michelin Pilot 4Ss
post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IridiumRS400 View Post
No apparent alignment issues, but the tensioner indicator is between the mid-point (new) and the limit mark, so some stretch has occurred.
So I checked what I believe is the tensioner. Is it silver and and near the left coolant reservoir? I see two adjacent marks on the engine block side, and an arrow on the radiator side. Looks like the range of those indicators is just a few millimeters. Can you confirm?

2017 Q60 Red Sport 400 Pure White / Monaco Red
Premium Plus Package 3.0t Sport / Silver Optic Fiber Interior Trim / INFINITI Radiant Illuminated Kick Plates / INFINITI Radiant Grille Emblem / Infiniti Sport Exhaust Kit
post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IridiumRS400 View Post
Continental - No.
Goodyear - No.
Gates (P/N K060766A) - Yes
Dayco (P/N A060767) - Yes

I just ordered a Gates Serpentine Belt for my '17 Q60 Red Sport w/21k miles. No apparent alignment issues, but the tensioner indicator is between the mid-point (new) and the limit mark, so some stretch has occurred.

The Gates P/N is K060766A, which I got directly from Gates Technical Support via an email request.

I did not find any online sources for this P/N, but O'Reilly's carries Gates belts local to me. I had to see the Manager to get the belt special ordered (the P/N is a valid number in their ordering system).

Price TBD, but unless it is priced over $75, it's good as sold.

too bad there's no continental part yet...i'm more of continental fan when it comes to accessory parts...tires are eh..lol.

Gates is pretty decent...i had a gates belt on my mercedes without any issues.

keep us updated on the gates belt.

Last cars
2018 Q60 Redsport AWD

2008 BMW 335xi AWD

2014 Subaru WRX AWD

2003 G35 RWD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page