Infiniti Q60 Forums banner

So will I "need" a tune?

19K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  JohnInNH 
#1 ·
Hello, I have a 2017 q60 premium. However, I came from a fully tuned WRX. Stage 3 tune, I had upgraded just about everything but was running very conservative as I wasn't forged and was scared to blow motor #3 , yes blew 2 short blocks due to Oil pump failures causing the engine to seize from spun bearing.

At any rate, I've been reading and researching our cars and from what I can gather I can do catback exhaust, downpipes and intake without a tune? Please help me understand if im misunderstanding. On my Wrx, it was very black and white about needing a tune to do these specific mods or else. I do understand the tune will help tie everything together and ultimately make the car performance better but on the wrx it was absolutely needed, whereas on the q60 it's not absolutely necessary? I haven't ordered anything yet but I'm getting the itch. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

#2 ·
Yes, you can do LDPs, CBE, and AMS Intake w/o a tune, however, if you want to "stick a toe in the water", buy a Burger Tuning JB4 w/Bluetooth & Fuel Wires - you'll be able to achieve 16-17 psi on pump gas w/o risk of blowing the engine. Otherwise, those bolt-ons with a stock tune will leave you around 7-8 psi peak boost, iirc (I have a Red Sport, so I'm going from memory...).

I have an Ecutek tune through Seb@SpecialtyZ. With mods (see my sig), my Q60 Red Sport AWD put down 437 WHP & 502 WTQ w/pump gas on a DynoJet AWD Dyno. Seb tunes for safe power. While some Q50 & Q60 owners have had engine and/or turbo issues, I'm not aware of anyone with Seb's Ecutek tune experiencing boost-related issues.

#3 ·
IridiumRS400, thank you. The Wrx was my only tuning experience so maybe things have always been this way with other turbo cars. I plan on just taking it slow as this car was a different type of investment than the Subaru. I'm not tracking it, just wanted a bit more out of it. Also, is there a general preferred mod to do first, out of my list? Also, the heat exchanger seems like another safe mod to add to my list.

#4 · (Edited)
Exhaust is the biggest bang-for-the-buck on this platform. As for exhaust choice, some owners want sound, some owners want power - I chose Fast Intentions out of Simi Valley, CA, as they have designed an exhaust that is well-built, good-sound, and impressive power gains for a CBE. FI uses an X-pipe in their mid-pipe design for additional cylinder scavenging. Add their LDPs for even more power and to support higher boost levels (the secondary cat is huge restriction).

Here's a video of my Q60 with the FI LDPs & CBE w/JB4, too:

This CBE is what FI calls their "touring" edition. It is not raspy or has drone at highway speeds. I've heard that FI may be marketing a shorter (louder) muffler as an option for their CBE in the near future. The only downside is FI requires a 6-8 week lead time, as they are a small shop, and as such, build-to-order. Kevin @ FI will help answer any further questions you would have. I installed the LDPs & CBE myself, using a friend's lift.

I would agree the HE is essential once the boost level increase. The stock HE is "one-and-done" when having higher boost levels - repeated boost will heat soak it easily. I chose the Infiniti-branded (AMS) HE, as it is an Infiniti Motorsports part, and I had my dealership install it, giving me a one-year warranty on the installation. It took them 4-5 hrs to perform the job @ $140/hr. While a few more dollars than the BMS HE, it fits like a glove, looks OEM, and performs very well for the street (and track, if you so choose).

So the mod suggested mod order - CBE, LDPs, JB4, and HE.

Regarding CAIs (because you'll eventually ask...), the stock intakes perform very well for this mod level. I would not buy a CAI until you invest in an Ecutek tune, because only at the level of tune will a AMS CAI give you another 10-15 hp, at best. Infiniti did a really good job with the stock airflow.

Intake comparison:

Good luck!

#6 ·
Welcome to the forum Chris.

You can't go wrong with @IridiumRS400's advice. I also am. just "dipping my toe in the water" with a JB4. I opted for the Stillen exhaust and Air Intake. As far as the Air Intake, I would recommend the Stillen if you live in So Cal. (I'm in Carson) It's getting pretty crazy (crazier!) around here with cops "raiding" meets and popping hoods looking for illegal (non CARB exempt) mods. As far as I know, Stillen parts, which is also sold through the Infiniti dealer is the only one with a CARB E.O number/sticker? Plus I've gotten to know the guys at Stillen over the years. They're local.

As far as the exhaust, I was between the FI and Stillen. Met a guy at a meet who had the Stillen exhaust and I had him rev it. Loved the deep growl.

https://youtu.be/oLCJqta0xOg

*WARNING- the sound clip doesn't really do it justice. It's every bit as loud as it sounds and then some. IF you are not certain this is what you want, you might wanna go for the FI CBE. It's got both non-resonated and resonated options, which is nice.

Great diversity of good experience on this board. Across multiple areas. Engine, tunes, suspension, turbos, electronics, sound, wheels, tires ... you name it. I too was new to this VR30 Q platform, but have managed to come up to speed pretty quick.

Best wishes

Keith Gipson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
As far as the Air Intake, I would recommend the Stillen if you live in So Cal.
While Stillen has, I believe, the only air intake available for California, I cannot recommend it to anyone. The Stillen air intake has had many bad reports -- just search the Q50 and Q60 forums; it is a junk product that was rushed to market. The OEM air boxes and filter are absolutely stellar; without a tune, nothing beats them; even with a tune, the cost for upgraded air intakes is difficult to justify. I would make air intakes one of the last upgrades, and I would only consider AMS' intakes as they do not have any drivability or quality issues.

#9 ·
Hey guys, I certainly appreciate all the great advice. I feel like I may stay with the OEM intake for now, but should I go with a drop in filter of some kind? Also, I've come across that is selling the Infiniti sport exhaust, no muffler, looks like straight pipes. Since I'm in New Hampshire, I can get away with whatever! Live Free or Die style.

#12 · (Edited)
Chris:
l live in SW NH.
I am a member on the Q50 part of this site. My mods are in my signature over there. I just joined to PM you here. (Just found out I need 15 posts to PM so will post this in a thread)

I'll gladly talk about the upgrade path for your Q60. Iridum400 (John on OR) asked me to talk to you. I have tracked mine at Palmer motorsports park for 2 days. I could pass 911's in the streight, but they killed me in the corners.

Pop over to the Q50 forum and search any of my threads so you can read my mods in my signature.

I've put about $18K into my 2018 AWD Red Sport.
I also have my Red Sport big brakes, Z1 two piece brake rotors, OEM pads, and race pads all boxed up with SS brake lines. I do have the OEM rotors as well.

John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.