Q60S Whistle/Siren - Turbo or exhaust related? - Infiniti Q60 Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Q60S Whistle/Siren - Turbo or exhaust related?

Hi all ~ new member here! I purchased my 2018 Q60 Silver Sport pre-owned last November with 18k miles on it. I enjoyed it since but...

Over the past few months, I have been hearing about some siren/whistle like noise when I hit the gas harder than usual. Maybe it was there when I purchased the car, and I thought it was normal, but it has been concerning me recently. Sometimes its faint, sometimes its not. I should note that I only hear this noise when I accelerate harder than usual. When I'm cruising or accelerate normally I don't really hear it. I've tried turning off the fake exhaust note (ANC/ASC settings) and it made no difference. I'm not sure what's going on, could it be turbos failing? I uploaded my video clip below.

I should also note that the previous owner seems to have modified the exhaust/muffler system. I'm not too familiar with car mods, but it looks like he deleted the muffler and welding the pipes? It does sound good, but is it done right and could it be the issue? Pictures attached for reference. I'm not very tech savvy with cars so I could use some help as to what I should do. Could the sound be exhaust or turbo related? Should I be concerned? Thanks in advance!

https://youtu.be/9ABTC7PZ_0A
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	21714   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	183.1 KB
ID:	21716  

Last edited by Bevo Horn; 10-03-2019 at 12:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Garage
I think another member had an issue with an O2 or some other sensor falling out.

2017 Q60 Red Sport 400 Pure White / Monaco Red
Premium Plus Package 3.0t Sport / Silver Optic Fiber Interior Trim / INFINITI Radiant Illuminated Kick Plates / INFINITI Radiant Grille Emblem / Infiniti Sport Exhaust Kit
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome to the forum!

I would definitely take it to an exhaust shop and have them look at the gaskets and welds as well. You should also check if the previous owner tried installing BOVs (blow off valves) or modified the factory intake/BOV set-up.

Red when moderating
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. Every other color when just being any ol' forum member
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Are you sure it's not a squealing belt? I had an issue with mine where the belt would squeal under hard acceleration. The dealer took care of it under warranty.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
So I took it to the Infiniti dealer. One of the techs drove it and heard the sound, though it wasn't as audible as my video clip above. He said it might be turbo related (honestly he didn't seem too sure). He did not check anything else to my knowledge (engine, sensors, belt, exhaust, etc.)

The service manager offered to replace the turbos under warranty. He said this is the first turbo replacement he's seen for a 2018 Q60. He said they will have to drop the entire engine and its a 2 day job. Wow!! It all seems very complicated to me; what if it was never the turbos causing the siren noise? Do you guys think its worth doing this replacement, or is it better to leave the engine alone? I don't want to cause other possible issues by dropping the engine. My car has close to 22K miles on it. Or should I get it inspected at another shop for the belt, exhaust, O2 sensor etc.? Or just live with the sound lol!

Last edited by Tintin; 10-03-2019 at 10:33 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NINaudio View Post
Are you sure it's not a squealing belt? I had an issue with mine where the belt would squeal under hard acceleration. The dealer took care of it under warranty.
Never mind, I couldn't hear the youtube video at work. It's definitely not belt related. Hope the new turbos solve the problem!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 09:07 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Garage
Even under warranty I would hate my baby to go through a Turbo rip out. I suggest getting a second opinion from another good Infiniti Dealership before having a major Thoracic Aortic Dissection Repair operation...

- Omenx

2017 Q60 RWD Red Sport 400 Pure White / Graphite Leather Interior / Carbon Fiber
Every option except WiFi and the new Infiniti Sport Exhaust Kit
Tinted Windows, Debadged, Black Wrapped front spoiler lip and Chrome Blackout
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omenx View Post
Even under warranty I would hate my baby to go through a Turbo rip out. I suggest getting a second opinion from another good Infiniti Dealership before having a major Thoracic Aortic Dissection Repair operation...
That's what I'm leaning toward. I might cancel the appointment. Who knows what else could go wrong by dropping the whole engine and putting it back. Do they mess with the transmission and subframe as well? Is it worth it? I don't know the intricacies but it sounds like a major job for a car thats barely 2 years old.

Anyone else have experience dropping their engine and/or replacing turbos?

Last edited by Tintin; 10-07-2019 at 02:10 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintin View Post
That's what I'm leaning toward. I might cancel the appointment. Who knows what else could go wrong by dropping the whole engine and putting it back. Do they mess with the transmission and subframe as well? Is it worth it? I don't know the intricacies but it sounds like a major job for a car thats barely 2 years old.

Anyone else have experience dropping their engine and/or replacing turbos?
Another member had his engine dropped and posted pictures. Can't remember the issue. Try using the forum's search feature.

2017 Q60 Red Sport 400 Pure White / Monaco Red
Premium Plus Package 3.0t Sport / Silver Optic Fiber Interior Trim / INFINITI Radiant Illuminated Kick Plates / INFINITI Radiant Grille Emblem / Infiniti Sport Exhaust Kit
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Man.....I feel for you. I am all too familiar with failing turbos. I had a N54 (BMW tt engine) and the stock turbos failed and then I purchased a prototype from a supplier who was coming out with a stage 2 upgrade and they failed TWICE (he had a machining error each time when I sent them back to be warrantied) and finally my 3rd time swapping the turbos they were fine. So to me even though the video is hard to hear it COULD be the turbos.

Typically, when I had the siren it was accompanied by more smoking from the exhaust bc of the turbos seals leaking oil and also some oil at the tips of the exhaust. Do you have either going on too? If not.. it still does not negate failing turbos. Only sure way is to pull them off and see if there is any shaft play too.

I did my swaps a few times until I got irritated and said let a shop do it lol. Each time I dropped the subframe. It was just way easier to have more room. I suggest getting a hoist and HOLDING the engine in place so you dont have to move it (but again not sure if that's the best option for the VR30 since I haven't gotten into its guts yet lol)

Past projects:

2004 Rx8 ~ 400whp 12.5 1/4 mi.
2007 335I ~ 680whp 11.1 1/4 mi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page