Infiniti Q60 Forums banner

Engine Cuts out at WOT Off of Launch

13K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  NINaudio 
#1 ·
I have been experiencing engine cutting out during spirited launches from stop. Sometimes it's in second gear others in 3rd gear, it's all over the place. First time I noticed is when I was going up a hill, but it also happens during flat runs. I don't recall how much fuel I had the first time, but it definitely is much more prevalent when at roughly 1/4 tank or less. No CEL or warnings coming up, although I don't have a OBDII scanner currently to see if there is anything on the back end.

Pretty sure it's starving fuel so it's either the tank pump, pump pickup tube or poor design? Talked to Dealership Service department and there are no known issues with the fuel design and they will need to replicate the situation so they can determine the issue for themselves.

2018 Q60RS
FI Cat Back
HKS Lower Downpipes

#3 ·
Traction control? Are you tuned?

I have seen two similar reports; one because the filter sock on the LPFP had a little build-up that prevented sufficient fuel flow during full throttle, one because the tune and engine build exceed the capabilities of the OEM LPFP and the engine was not getting enough fuel on an aggressive tune.

#5 ·
Same issue with my 2019 RS 400 with ~ 9K miles. Pure stock setup. Doesn't seem to be matter what drive mode or fuel tank status. Only happens maybe one of 50 times pulling away from a stop. 2-3 seconds of hesitation before the power kicks in. Just enough of an issue to make me have it in the back of my mind when accelerating out into on-coming traffic. Took it to the dealer and they spent a day trying (unsuccessfully) to replicate. Also told me they had never heard of this being an issue. Not sure how to pursue.

#6 ·
Do you hear the wheels chirp Before or when it occurs? It sounds like traction control ...

Reactions: WShade
#9 ·
Update: Took it to the dealership with under 1/4 tank and I was able to replicate issue without a problem. The mechanic I took for a spin was stunned as he has never had anyone come in with the issue. They ended up attaching a fuel pressure gauge which they monitored while driving. As I suspected, they were able to confirm fuel pump/sock issue. I am going to pick up the car tomorrow and will find out exactly what the culprit was.

#11 ·
I have been experiencing engine cutting out during spirited launches from stop. Sometimes it's in second gear others in 3rd gear, it's all over the place. First time I noticed is when I was going up a hill, but it also happens during flat runs. I don't recall how much fuel I had the first time, but it definitely is much more prevalent when at roughly 1/4 tank or less. No CEL or warnings coming up, although I don't have a OBDII scanner currently to see if there is anything on the back end.

Pretty sure it's starving fuel so it's either the tank pump, pump pickup tube or poor design? Talked to Dealership Service department and there are no known issues with the fuel design and they will need to replicate the situation so they can determine the issue for themselves.

2018 Q60RS
FI Cat Back
HKS Lower Downpipes
Honestly at this point I don't know why SOMETIMES my Q60 it launches amazing and other times it launches like I'm a prius during rush hour. Don't know if anyone has experienced this but I build boost at 2k RPM and launch when I've hit 1-1.2 psi, when the car wants it launches amazing don't get any wheel spin (probably due to the Federal RS-RR's I'm running) get really good clean passes. Other times the car builds boost and everything looks fine until I let go of the brake, the car gets off the line as if I was at 1/4th on throttle then the turbos kick in ages after like when I'm at 5K. Help???? (running custom map 6 on my JB4)

#12 ·
Feels like i've been getting this issue. Just picked up this Q60 about a week ago. Had a q50 TT before this. At WOT, sometimes the car will totally take off. Other times there's nothing then suddenly at like 4k BAM tons of power. Another time i'm going slightly uphill but feels like no power just barely making it in automatic... switch to "manual", downshift to 2nd and finally rpms get high enough and power returns.

#18 ·
No, no wmi. Just 94 octane. I've been good to not push the car. On map 7 with latest update should be auto managed boost. However yeah I haven't been going crazy with it cause there's so little km's on it right now. Although before I added the jb4 I had noticed a weird low power feeling when going up a hill. Weird tho is after those 2 times, I haven't experienced it again. Going to keep a close eye on it.

#19 ·
I thought map 7 was the WMI map? Honestly, I'd leave the JB4 off until after your break in period.

As for driving modes, I personally prefer sport mode as it doesn't downshift as soon as normal which makes the car feel more responsive.

#20 ·
Ok, well after replacing my fuel pump assembly, the problem appears to have gone away but now it's back. The dealership is perplexed as to what is the exact root cause, but I am going to have to dig in further to see if I can get some diagnostics on this issue. My last occurrence was when I was going up a hill with slightly less than 1/2 tank. I dropped the pedal and it launched great at first but then the car lost all power and then power surged back when I let off. Yesterday I was taking a right aggressively on a main road with traction control off and under full throttle. Again this seems to point to an issue with the fuel pickup.

I like Aaron's replay regarding boost spike. It does make sense, but my situation tends to happen when I am around 1/4 tank of gas or so.

Does anyone know if a tool like Blue Driver has fuel pump pressure recording so I can show the dealership?

#21 ·
Please keep us posted and the determination of what is causing symptom. Has a techie at a Infiniti dealership seen this first hand??

#24 ·
To date I have just had my 4th fuel pump installed by the dealership under warranty. Clearly there is a problem with the design of the fuel system on the Red Sport. Looking at the Q50 forum, there is a picture of the gas tank which makes the problem easier to understand, if the Q50 and Q60 do in fact share the same gas tank design. Maybe someone can chime in. This also points out the fact that there should be no hard acceleration under 1/4 tank. I think what happens is that with repeated starvation of fuel that the output of the pump fails after a while. I will probably upgrade to an AMS pump for future reliability.
Font Slope Parallel Auto part Rectangle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.