LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 02:13 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Stoptech BBK Installation

I finally got some time to install a Stoptech BBK that I purchased used from another Q50 forum member.

Some background: This BBK is not available through the normal Stoptech retail channels, It just so happens Stoptech made a one-off kit for a Q50 SEMA car, and either this forum member had his car at SEMA, or he somehow got a hold of this BBK after the show - I never asked.

Anyways, this BBK had about 17k miles on it (he removed it at the end-of-lease), and when I received it, the rotor vents were rusty, and the black hats were faded and showed "runs" of what was probably dried wheel cleaner. So before I installed the brakes on my Q60, I disassembled the hats & rotor rings, and acid-dipped each rotor ring for 4-5 hours to removed the rust, using an Eastwood product called Fast Etch. It's basically phosphoric acid with a few proprietary ingredients. The result removed almost all the rust, only with some light rust residue left in the vents, which I used a rotary brush to clean-up afterwards.

With the rotor rings prepped, I took them and the Aluminum hats to a metal re-finisher, and they zinc-coated the rotor rings ($125 total) and stripped then applied black anodize ($150 total) to the hats. I re-assembled the rotor rings and hats with new retaining hardware from Stoptech, so I was all-set for the installation.

I started with the rear brakes, as the Stoptech Rear Rotors are the same diameter as the Akebono Sport Rear Rotors, so I could retain the rear dust shields. Aside from bending a tab on the dust shield, and curling one edge of the shield so the caliper bracket had clearance, the install was relatively straight-forward. I flushed out the old brake fluid, and installed ATE 200 DOT 4 brake fluid.

With 380 mm front rotors, I'll need to remove the front dust shields. I'll complete the front installation within a few days. It was enough for today to get the rear BBK installed.

I took the car for a long test drive, and I can already feel the difference with the 4-piston rear calipers (vs. the 2-piston Akebono rear calipers). I'll properly bed in the brakes when all four brake positions are complete.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	StopTech RR Q60 BBK.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	21186  

2017 Q60 Red Sport AWD Iridium Blue / Monaco Red
Premium Plus Package 3.0t Sport / Silver Optic Fiber Interior Trim / Infiniti Sport Mats / FI Full Catted DPs & CBE / Stoptech Trophy BBK FR & RR / Infiniti HE / Infiniti Intakes / Ecutek Tune / BMS Pedal Tuner / Infiniti Radiant Sport Grille / EMM Tuning CF Foglight Finishers / CF Duckbill RR Spoiler / Mishimoto OCC
/ Future: AMS LPFP & HPFP / AMS CF DS / Z1 LSD / Stillen Rear Stab

Last edited by IridiumRS400; 06-09-2019 at 02:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 02:53 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Stoptech BBK Installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by IridiumRS400 View Post
I took the car for a long test drive, and I can already feel the difference with the 4-piston rear calipers (vs. the 2-piston Akebono rear calipers). I'll properly bed in the brakes when all four brake positions are complete.

Wow. Nice!

My wife and I are celebrating our sixth wedding anniversary today and took a trip to Palm Springs. We took "the scenic route" through Idyllwild, CA and went up through the mountains (4,000 feet) and down. Although the brakes held up sufficiently, a bit of "spirited" driving through the winding roads exposed just how much room there is for improvement.

My last three cars all had Brembos and I guess I've just gotten pretty used to that level of braking performance and am a little spoiled. Definitely some brake fade and even a little just judder as I'm thinking these pads may have never been bedded in properly by the previous owner?

I'd like to figure out some sort of cost effective big brake kit solution for these cars.

Congrats on your Iridium blue build. It's coming along nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 04:01 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gipsonke View Post
Congrats on your Iridium blue build. It's coming along nicely.
Thanks! With this platform, it takes a certain level of confidence to mod it, as many things have not been done before (i.e., your remote battery mod, this BBK, etc.). As this is my daily driver, I have to start and finish mods/projects in short order, unless I sweet-talk the Mrs into using her Allroad, while the Q is getting work done.

BTW, I have recently added a QuickJack (5k lbs Capacity) to my arsenal of tools - I'm waiting on lifting blocks w/pinch weld cut-outs, which are back-ordered since mid-May. Luckily, they should be shipped to me this week. I'll need the QJ for upgrading the rear diff to a Z1 LSD and a rear Stillen Sway Bar, which should be towards the end of this summer.

Premium Plus Package 3.0t Sport / Silver Optic Fiber Interior Trim / Infiniti Sport Mats / FI Full Catted DPs & CBE / Stoptech Trophy BBK FR & RR / Infiniti HE / Infiniti Intakes / Ecutek Tune / BMS Pedal Tuner / Infiniti Radiant Sport Grille / EMM Tuning CF Foglight Finishers / CF Duckbill RR Spoiler / Mishimoto OCC

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 02:09 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Today I installed the driver's side front brake. My biggest worry was how much I would need to modify the dust shield, as the Stoptech FR Rotor diameter is 15 inches vs the stock Akebono rotor, which has a diameter of 14 inches. After I installed the Stoptech Rotor onto the hub, I was pleasantly surprised the design of the flat rotor hat moved the rotor ring outboard about an inch, which provided enough clearance that it cleared most of the dust shield, except for a double edge on the back edge of the dust shield. I simply bent it out of the way.

When I installed the 6-piston caliper, it initially made contact with the front edge of the dust shield, so I had to bend the dust shield down to provide some clearance. Moving on to installing the brake line, I used the Z1 Motorports SS lines which I had been using with the stock Akebono calipers. Unlike the Z1 Motorsports SS lines, the Stoptech lines which were included with this BBK setup used two (2) one-bolt clamps, and did not have a rubber donut for passing through the hollow bracket on the car. The brake was bled, the wheel was mounted (the 19" OEM Red Sport wheel has a 41 mm offset, which helps clear this BBK), I cleaned-up my tools and called it a night.

The passenger side front brake will be installed tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stoptech FRT Q60 BBK (2).jpg
Views:	34
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	21188  
JakeFromLI likes this.

Last edited by IridiumRS400; 06-10-2019 at 02:13 AM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Finished the installation today. No real issues with the passenger side front except for tweaking the dust shield so that it doesn't touch the rotor, even in heavily-loaded turns.

Now I got a bunch of extra OEM & aftermarket brake hardware to market. My storage area is starting to look like an Infiniti Parts Dept stockroom:

- OEM Chrome Front Grille
- OEM Chrome Fog Light Accents
- Sport (Black) Fronts Grille
- OEM FR & RR Rotors (1-piece)
- Z1 Motorsorts FR & RR Rotors (2-piece)
- OEM FR Brake Pads
-.OEM FR & RR Brake Lines
- Stoptech SS Brake lines
- Infiniti Red Sport Akebono FR & RR Calipers
- OEM Air Cleaner Boxes/Intakes
- OEM Primary & Secondary Cats
- OEM Y-pipe, Intermediate Pipe, and Dual Exhaust/Muffler
- OEM Carpeted Mats

I'm sure I'm forgetting something... oh yeah, I just purchased the AMS LPFP, but won't install it until later this summer after I purchase the AMS HPFP, too, and then get an updated tune from Seb.

And yes, mods are fun! That's one for you, Bevo
gipsonke likes this.

Last edited by IridiumRS400; 06-10-2019 at 10:24 PM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I might be interested in taking the chrome grill off your hands... :-)
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Finished the installation today. No real issues with the passenger side front except for tweaking the dust shield so that it doesn't touch the rotor, even in heavily-loaded turns.

Now I got a bunch of extra OEM & aftermarket brake hardware to market. My storage area is starting to look like an Infiniti Parts Dept stockroom:

- OEM Chrome Front Grille
- OEM Chrome Fog Light Accents
- Sport (Black) Fronts Grille
- OEM FR & RR Rotors (1-piece)
- Z1 Motorsorts FR & RR Rotors (2-piece)
- OEM FR Brake Pads
-.OEM FR & RR Brake Lines
- Stoptech SS Brake lines
- Infiniti Red Sport Akebono FR & RR Calipers
- OEM Air Cleaner Boxes/Intakes
- OEM Primary & Secondary Cats
- OEM Y-pipe, Intermediate Pipe, and Dual Exhaust/Muffler
- OEM Carpeted Mats

I'm sure I'm forgetting something... oh yeah, I just purchased the AMS LPFP, but won't install it until later this summer after I purchase the AMS HPFP, too, and then get an updated tune from Seb.

And yes, mods are fun! That's one for you, Bevo

Great work. I thought this kind of stuff was the whole point of having an enthusiast's forum like this? At least that's why I joined.

I enjoy this forum. I've gotten tons of useful information here. A place where experienced car modders like ourselves can figure out after market solutions for this platform that enable our cars to perform better than factory, as well as be highly reliable.

Whether it's solving a problem with the Stillen intake using custom tubing after studying the issue, building your own fiberglass sub woofer enclosure, adding meth injection using your windshield washer resoivoir as a boost juice tank, adding oil catch cans, BOVs, custom fabbing a BBK or even relocating your battery and upgrading your OEM electrical system.

YOUR car is now a better performing Q and SAFER as well! I would be interested in your 60-0 stop times now with those big six/four piston calipers and beefy rotors on there?

I've been modding and enjoying my rides since I was sixteen and though I'm far from an expert I've learned a lot in the 40+ years I've been driving. Yes there's a LOT more computers and black boxes since I had my '71 VW bug with its bored out (me and my Dad) 1580cc engine, headers (no CARB back then), Magnaflow exhaust, Blaupunkt stereo retrofitted from a junked BMW 320i and of course Centerline wheels...but the basic mechanics of the various systems are still there. A caliper and rotor haven't changed that much in 30 years.

This post inspires me to continue to "push the envelope" on this platform and I'm thinking there's some big brakes in my future as well.

Happy driving and modding. And keep the new ideas coming!

Keith

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gipsonke View Post
Great work. I thought this kind of stuff was the whole point of having an enthusiast's forum like this? At least that's why I joined.
Agreed. I would not have known the Stoptech BBK existed without the info posted on the forum.

This Sunday morning I'll be performing the Stoptech bed-in procedure to get the pad material to transfer to the rotor surfaces. The procedure requires 6-7 successive 60-5 mph stops w/o completely stopping, followed by a cool-down.

Initial impressions are positive. The brakes are not touchy, and have good linear feel. I'll wait to see how good these stop after the bed-in procedure.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Another comment on thie specifics of the BBK.

It uses the Trophy versions of the ST-60 (FR) and ST-40 (RR) calipers, which are universal among all Stoptech kits. In addition, the 380 mm & 355 mm rotor rings are also universal. Therefore, you could create this BBK by additionally sourcing the caliper brackets and rotor hats from Stoptech.

For reference:

The Stoptech P/N 84.489.000 is for the front kit, described on the box as "Custom Kit FR INF Q50 SEMA STR60 380x32".

The Stoptech P/N 84.489.001 is for the rear kit, described on the box as "Custom Kit RR, INF Q50 SEMA STR41 355x32".
gipsonke likes this.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Another comment on thie specifics of the BBK.

It uses the Trophy versions of the ST-60 (FR) and ST-40 (RR) calipers, which are universal among all Stoptech kits. In addition, the 380 mm & 355 mm rotor rings are also universal. Therefore, you could create this BBK by additionally sourcing the caliper brackets and rotor hats from Stoptech.

For reference:

The Stoptech P/N 84.489.000 is for the front kit, described on the box as "Custom Kit FR INF Q50 SEMA STR60 380x32".

The Stoptech P/N 84.489.001 is for the rear kit, described on the box as "Custom Kit RR, INF Q50 SEMA STR41 355x32".

Perfect!

Yeah that bed in procedure is similar to what I've been used to as recommended by the vendors. I'm going to hold off using the Orange G2 caliper paint kit until after I install this BBK, now that you've done the "real work" figuring this out.

Hopefully between either my walnut blasting with the custom adapter I had 3D printed or maybe the electrical upgrade or something else in the future...i can return the favor?

You've always been, in the short five months I've been on this forum, one of the most helpful and non judgemental, "even keeled" posters here. Sometimes guys have this kinda passive aggressive edge to their posts and it kinda is silly IMO. I mean, it's a car forum guys, that's all. Im almost sixty years old so my patience isn't what it used to be either LOL!

IridiumRS400 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page