• 1 Post By Strokedluxury
  • 1 Post By Malmby

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hey guys, so I was pondering around on Rockauto and noticed these. With the caliper and brackets all being sold on Rockauto, why aren't we doing this as a cheap and effective DIY BBK? They look quite similar to the Akebonos, and if they work as good as the stock premiums, I would be happy with that. Im certain its obvious, but I have the Q60 premium.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190704-094837_Samsung Internet_1562258934533.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	545.7 KB
ID:	21320  
JakeFromLI likes this.

Last edited by Strokedluxury; 07-04-2019 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Need to input model
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
So after doing more research and back and forth cross referencing on the Q50 forum. I have realized that Powerstop has an entire kit that outperforms the stock brakes for $900.00 with a $225 core charge. Here is the link https://www.infinitiq50.org/forum/q5.../topics/120545 . If you want OEM peformance, you can do this for under $900 bucks, add an infiniti decal and a few coats of clear and you're all set. Im gonna do this swap myself very soon.
JakeFromLI likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Heres a picture of the kit
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190704-103757_Samsung Internet_1562261898168.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	643.4 KB
ID:	21324  

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Garage
Keep us posted.

Q60 RS400
Q50S
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'm no expert but I'm not sure that is a big brake kit. It's only got two pistons and doesn't look to cover any more area than the stock brakes. I think it's just a standard caliper that's been powder coated.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chomachomachoma View Post
I'm no expert but I'm not sure that is a big brake kit. It's only got two pistons and doesn't look to cover any more area than the stock brakes. I think it's just a standard caliper that's been powder coated.
What? It is very, very similar to the Sport Akebono calipers. Four piston in the front, two piston in the rear. Overall size looks quite similar.

PowerStop is not known for StopTech or Brembo/AP Racing quality (in fact, PowerStop is known for low cost sliding calipers on low-cost automobiles), but those calipers are not bad. Definitely a worthy upgrade over the non-Sport Akebono sliding calipers.
JakeFromLI likes this.

2017 Q60 AWD - 414 whp, 494 wtq [Red Alpha Cold Air Intake Kit, Red Alpha Heat Exchanger, Red Alpha Coolant Expansion Tank, Red Alpha Auxiliary Coolant Tank, Infiniti Akebono Big Brake Kit, Infiniti Q60 Helmholtz Sport Exhaust, aFe Power Y-pipe/Mid-pipe resonated, Red Alpha Lower Downpipes, Red Alpha Aluminum AWD Driveshaft, AMS Red Alpha Tune]
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Today, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
What? It is very, very similar to the Sport Akebono calipers. Four piston in the front, two piston in the rear. Overall size looks quite similar.
Like I said, I'm no expert. To me, these calipers don't look nearly as big as a Brembo caliper. And I've never seen a BBK retail for less than a couple g's. Don't let me stop you. If they work for you - awesome! If you do try them out, we'd love to hear your feedback.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Today, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I did the Akebono caliper upgrade, & this is what you need: Bigger brake rotors, brake line banjo bolt, & you need to cut or get new sport front & rear brake dust shields. Hope this helps.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Today, 10:38 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chomachomachoma View Post
Like I said, I'm no expert. To me, these calipers don't look nearly as big as a Brembo caliper. And I've never seen a BBK retail for less than a couple g's. Don't let me stop you. If they work for you - awesome! If you do try them out, we'd love to hear your feedback.
Brembo has 4 piston calipers, and they are the same size as these (and the Akebono Sport brakes. The size of the caliper will vary with piston count). I debated the Power Stop option for a very brief moment before I went with the Akebono Sport brake kit upgrade, as I do basic track days (and drive assertively) and do not trust Power Stop to hold up to abuse.

I know someone did purchase the Power Stop brake kit for either their Q50 or Q60 -- too lazy to go searching for the thread. -- I recall they stated that the calipers were pretty good (certainly more than sufficient for street driving).

2017 Q60 AWD - 414 whp, 494 wtq [Red Alpha Cold Air Intake Kit, Red Alpha Heat Exchanger, Red Alpha Coolant Expansion Tank, Red Alpha Auxiliary Coolant Tank, Infiniti Akebono Big Brake Kit, Infiniti Q60 Helmholtz Sport Exhaust, aFe Power Y-pipe/Mid-pipe resonated, Red Alpha Lower Downpipes, Red Alpha Aluminum AWD Driveshaft, AMS Red Alpha Tune]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement