LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Custom sub box/Bose system and electrical system upgrades

This is going to be three part project.
A custom dual 12" sub woofer enclosure to maximize free trunk space. Upgraded cabin speakers and finally a new high output (260A) alternator, deep cycle AGM battery and power cables/wiring (plus cap).

I'm starting to try to figure out the sub enclosure. The problem is that this old school Cerwin Vega sub enclosure that I got from my step son is way to big for the trunk. It takes up the majority of the space and there's a ton of wasted space behind it in the irregularly shaped area immediately behind the rear seat.

What I'm going for is something like this:

Which should allow me to reclaim at least half of the trunk back for 5-6 grocery bags, etc.

I've had a pair of upgraded rear deck speakers for a while now and since the new voice coils stick out about twice as much as the stock Bose speakers, I needed to install these before making my measurements as space for the custom box is going to be at a premium.

The new speakers are 4 ohm and the stock paper Bose speakers are about 3.4 ohms so the new speakers work (and sound) great. They're Boss 6x9s for the rear deck, nothing fancy but I've got some higher end JL speakers for the front mids and tweeters.

And then of course the subs.

Bose systems are notorious for just being middle of the road as far as sound quality, but no high treble or (sub) bass.

I saw this quote about Bose on a website and I think it sums up their approach to the market perfectly:

"Bose makes products that are nonoffensive to the general consumer. Their most general consumer products are always on loudness mode, with boosted lower treble and middle bass, and no high treble or sub-bass. No one hates the sound, but it doesn't sound like a high fidelity product.

They also find soundstage ambiance to be more important than soundstage accuracy, distortion numbers, or neutrality over the frequency range. Their higher end products can make you feel like you are in place when the recording is happening, but you'll find it difficult to isolate individual instruments... and the instruments don't sound quite right."

The custom box is going to be based on this ported sub enclosure design:

Phase one I'm going to "design build" a prototype using card board and masking tape. This approach makes it easy to test out different ideas " in real time". After this, then I'll build the next iteration using 1/8" MDF. The final will be a wooden enclosure...haven't decided what type of wood/material to use yet? I'd appreciate some feedback on this.

So far I've just started playing around with the design approach.

This is going to be a fun project and will involve several different aspects in modding the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by gipsonke; 06-02-2019 at 10:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
What's under the carpet? Could you have built the subs into the floor to save space?
gipsonke likes this.

2016+ Premium, JB4+fuel wires+meth, BMS HE, Z1 full catless DPs, Megan Y-pipe. 18" TSW's with 275/40/18's all around. [email protected]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddnspider View Post
What's under the carpet? Could you have built the subs into the floor to save space?

Nothing yet. And yes I could have. But I don't have runflats and am going to incorporate a small "doughnut" spare (from a G35), jack kit under there. So the rear trunk lid under the carpet may actually raise up a bit. I have to add mounting adapters to the rear deck 6x9s anyway

So this will raise them up slightly for a bit more vertical clearance from the thicker voice coils.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 09:15 AM

AAA and screw the doughnut. You'll get a TON of trunk space back.
gipsonke likes this.

2016+ Premium, JB4+fuel wires+meth, BMS HE, Z1 full catless DPs, Megan Y-pipe. 18" TSW's with 275/40/18's all around. [email protected]

|
|
|
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
AAA and screw the doughnut. You'll get a TON of trunk space back.

Sub's going to portable/removable so if I happen to need a bunch of space to carry some cargo, I'll take it out. and also I'm going to design the custom enclosure so I can "flip" it around to face in different directions. When I cruise the local, monthly Q meetups.... I'll flip the sub facing forward visible through the rear seat backs and lay the rear seats down exposing the amp, caps, wiring, etc., As well as the front of the subs.

Once I get the sub enclosure prototyped in 1/8th inch MDF I'm going to get it blueprinted out by Mark at caraudiofabrication.com. For $65 he'll refine your design based on the interior dimensions required by the sub, maximum space available, cost and what goals you have for your project. He'll then blueprint it out and provide detailed construction plans for the final box.

I'm not going for "window shattering" bass and most people go overboard on the size of the enclosure anyway thinking that when it comes to subs "bigger is always better" which isn't necessarily the case. This thing's going to be compact and very efficient.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 10:49 AM

That's pretty cool they'll design the enclosure and provide specs.
gipsonke likes this.

|
|
|
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
That's pretty cool they'll design the enclosure and provide specs.

Yeah you can't beat it for $65. This guy will custom design the box/port to your specs to optimize the harmonic response and tune the output for whatever bass range you're interested in, based on your music genre.

Last edited by gipsonke; 06-04-2019 at 11:07 AM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gipsonke View Post
Yeah you can't beat it for $65. This guy will custom design the box/port to your specs to optimize the harmonic response and tune the output for whatever bass range you're interested in, based on your music genre.

Got in touch with Mark today and since my box is going to be an irregular, wedge shape...the charge is going to be $125 for a fully blueprinted, custom sub box that will both fit precisely in the inner most area in the back of the trunk but will also be expertly tuned and ported for maximum sound level and quality.

I've already learned a lot from watching his videos found on CAF. It's a great resource.

https://www.caraudiofabrication.com/box-designs

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Ready to get going on this project and pull the trigger on the custom sub woofer enclosure design from Mark at CAF but slight change of plans. Just trying to get a decent upgrade solution for the rear deck OEM 6x9 Bose "sub woofers".

I had some Boss Elite series in place replacements and they sound pretty darn good for the price but the larger speaker coil just protrudes too much into the rear trunk space for my liking

and I'm limited to about 15 " clearance.

I checked around a little bit and decided to go with these (discontinued) Pioneer
TS-A6966R 6 x 9 inch 3-Way Speakers.

These are designed to be shallow mount OEM replacements and are just 2 3/4" deep.
We'll see when they get in but I think these are going to work out nicely.

Last edited by gipsonke; 06-16-2019 at 02:12 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 06:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
When you get that blueprint. I will pay you for a copy of it, so I can go ahead and have it fabricated. I have the Bose system, and my girlfriend even noticed the diminished sound quality in comparison to my G35 coupe. Man I really miss my highs and lows. Though the side mirrors shaking does make the bass seem more adequate lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page