LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
CZP HKS BOV kit vs Z1

From the kit description. Confirms what we all know now to be true:

From the factory, the VR30DDTT has no method of compensating for compressor surge, which means excess boost pressure is forced against the compressor wheel, this can accelerate wear on the turbocharger. For stock boost levels, Nissan has apparently deemed this to be acceptable for the life of the car, but once you crank up the boost, it's only going to get worse. While we would like to point out that some factors in the VR30's design mean that not ALL of the excess boost pressure will be bled off, we do strongly believe that adding BOVs will help extend the life of the turbos, on both stock and modified cars.

https://conceptzperformance.com/czp-...kt_p_40782.php

CZP released their own version of the HKS SSQV BOV kit. Current price $595, but I think they will price match?

Noted that Z1's kit for our cars are $648.

https://www.z1motorsports.com/z1-pro...t-p-12726.html

I haven't compared kits in detail or called either company to inquire, but I wonder what the differences, if any, might be?

I know I also want to divert/recirc in my application.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by gipsonke; 04-02-2019 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Kit description added
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 06:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gipsonke View Post
From the kit description. Confirms what we all know now to be true:

From the factory, the VR30DDTT has no method of compensating for compressor surge, which means excess boost pressure is forced against the compressor wheel, this can accelerate wear on the turbocharger. For stock boost levels, Nissan has apparently deemed this to be acceptable for the life of the car, but once you crank up the boost, it's only going to get worse. While we would like to point out that some factors in the VR30's design mean that not ALL of the excess boost pressure will be bled off, we do strongly believe that adding BOVs will help extend the life of the turbos, on both stock and modified cars.

https://conceptzperformance.com/czp-...kt_p_40782.php

CZP released their own version of the HKS SSQV BOV kit. Current price $595, but I think they will price match?

Noted that Z1's kit for our cars are $648.

https://www.z1motorsports.com/z1-pro...t-p-12726.html

I haven't compared kits in detail or called either company to inquire, but I wonder what the differences, if any, might be?

I know I also want to divert/recirc in my application.

The two kits are virtually identical, go with whichever one is cheaper.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 08:28 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
I assume people have seen this:
https://www.maperformance.com/produc...SABEgJNVvD_BwE

There's a coupler kit to add whatever BOV's you want for MUCH cheaper. $600 is outrageous for a BOV kit.
TEH215 and gipsonke like this.

2016+ Premium, JB4+fuel wires+meth, BMS HE, Z1 full catless DPs, Megan Y-pipe. 18" TSW's with 275/40/18's all around. [email protected]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddnspider View Post
I assume people have seen this:

https://www.maperformance.com/produc...SABEgJNVvD_BwE

There's a coupler kit to add whatever BOV's you want for MUCH cheaper. $600 is outrageous for a BOV kit.

Had never seen this, thanks. Which BOVs would you recommend? They seem to be the most expensive part... And we need two of 'em of course.

My mechanic initially recommended the Synapse air diverter to me as he swore by them as far as activation speed and reliability, and these are what he's using on his 21 PSI boosted daily driver (a turbo Mitsu EVO)

They're around $200 each x 2.

The (authentic) HKS SSQVs BOVs by themselves seem to be pricing out a little over $200 each ($218 on Amazon), so that's $436 + $118 for the adapter / tubing kit is a little bit more cost effective ($554)

I definitely wouldn't trust the "HKS" BOV on Amazon / eBay as being authentic for less than half the price ($84 each).

Finally the only other BOV that I considered, other than the HKS or Synapse, was the beautiful GReddy. I trust GReddy parts as well, as I have used their components extensively with some of my cars in the past (Nissan 240SX, Honda's, etc.)

They're pushing $250 each, so we're past the $600 mark with these?

I'm going to do some research and see if I could find a reliable BOV manufacturer that I could trust, that makes something in the $100-$150 range each for the BOVs.

Thanks for the link.

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 10:32 AM

I've been doing boosted stuff for a long time, at higher HP levels than the VR30DDTT, and there's a bit of a golden rule on BOV's vs. wastegates. Put all your money in wastegates, because if they fail you risk overboosting and blowing the motor. Cheaping out on a BOV which simply vents air will not cost you a motor if it fails, especially on a platform that wasn't designed with a BOV or diverter valve from the factory. I wouldn't hesitate to put $40 BOV's on this motor, which would put you at a total of ~$200 for a kit.

I was going to do the BOV's until I read up a bit about how the VR30DDTT avoids the use of BOV's. Even at higher boost I don't think it'll hurt the turbo's because A) the wastegates stay open after you let off the throttle. This avoids the "push from both directions" i.e. exhaust pushing and the boost in the intake pushing against the shaft of the turbo. And B) the ECU keeps the throttle open slightly to vent some of this pressure after you let off the throttle.
Bevo Horn and gipsonke like this.

2016+ Premium, JB4+fuel wires+meth, BMS HE, Z1 full catless DPs, Megan Y-pipe. 18" TSW's with 275/40/18's all around. [email protected]

|
|
|
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddnspider View Post
I've been doing boosted stuff for a long time, at higher HP levels than the VR30DDTT, and there's a bit of a golden rule on BOV's vs. wastegates. Put all your money in wastegates, because if they fail you risk overboosting and blowing the motor. Cheaping out on a BOV which simply vents air will not cost you a motor if it fails, especially on a platform that wasn't designed with a BOV or diverter valve from the factory. I wouldn't hesitate to put $40 BOV's on this motor, which would put you at a total of ~$200 for a kit.

I was going to do the BOV's until I read up a bit about how the VR30DDTT avoids the use of BOV's. Even at higher boost I don't think it'll hurt the turbo's because A) the wastegates stay open after you let off the throttle. This avoids the "push from both directions" i.e. exhaust pushing and the boost in the intake pushing against the shaft of the turbo. And B) the ECU keeps the throttle open slightly to vent some of this pressure after you let off the throttle.
AMS doesn’t think these BOVs are a great idea. I inquired on the install and their response had me send mine back to Z1 and not install them. I have more than a few AMS parts as well a tune by them so I trust their advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6C1C2E08-0212-4A04-B3FD-619BBBE9B32B_1554935573852.jpeg
Views:	259
Size:	507.1 KB
ID:	20798  
Bevo Horn likes this.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 08:50 PM

Don't get me wrong, it won't hurt anything. I just came to the conclusion it's overkill accept in maybe extreme instances due to how Infiniti designed the system.

|
|
|
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 08:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
i had a GoFastBits BOV on another car that i liked ... you could set it atmospheric, recirc, or 50/50. i think they are an Australian company.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
The Chinese had have made exact copies of the HKS SSQV down to the box, manual, everything!

IF anyone considers these, I would make sure you get them from a reputable source.

Also, Buying cheap car parts is also not recommended. Cheap copies and no R&D as cheap stuff is pushed out of a chinese sweatshop. Is this what you really want to put on your $XX,XXX investment?

If anyone said yes, How about this equation..

Would you rather spend $300-400 for a real BOV or spend thousands replacing a turbo?

As in post #5 said, He wouldnt hesistate putting $40.00 BOV's on the car..

IDK what kind of experience he has with boosted stuff, but one thing is clear "When you try to save a buck, It'll cost you 2" and your experience in building cars and boosting, I would never advise someone with cheap chinese aftermarket parts.

People try so hard to be unique, they lose their sense of style
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Wastegates do nothing on the intake side but regulate boost pressure. I dont know why people keep talking about wastegates when that is exhaust only and what is driving the intake side. Its sole function is to regulate when to stop the boost from climbing and set at a specific boost pressure. Thats it!

Now, If your statement is correct and the throttle plate stays open, then everyone who installed a BOV kit wouldnt hear it and wouldnt work. The boost going backwards would not be going backwards and go past the throttle plate. But ask anyone who has the HKS, they vent. This is the pressurized air that is causing the compressor surge

So, I stand by my statement as compressor surge are killing these turbos and a real BOV kit is needed.

Z1 motorsorts told me they should be used, but they need to have a tune for the slight moment in richness. Not to just install them and not tune.

People try so hard to be unique, they lose their sense of style
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page