LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 01:55 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Suggestions on buying an exhaust

I have a 2017 Q60 Premium. Just wanted to get some guidance on what exhaust to buy and/or how to go about it? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 08:14 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Garage
It would help to know what you want from it ... how loud? What tone are you aiming for--lawnmower or a more refined noise? Maximum performance or balanced performance and comfort? Are you looking to do downpipes as well? Do you have a budget? Do you care about the aesthetics of the exhaust tips?

Plenty of fantastic options available through AMS Performance, Z1 Motorsports, Concept Z Performance, and even participating Infiniti Motorsports dealers.

I would guess the two most common exhaust upgrades for after the downipes are Infiniti Motorsports axle-back exhausts and Fast Intentions cat-back exhaust.
Edwin Ramos likes this.

2017 Q60 AWD - 414 whp, 494 wtq [Red Alpha Cold Air Intake Kit, Red Alpha Heat Exchanger, Red Alpha Coolant Expansion Tank, Red Alpha Auxiliary Coolant Tank, Mishimoto Oil Catch Can, Infiniti Akebono Big Brake Kit, Infiniti Q60 Helmholtz Sport Exhaust, aFe Power Y-pipe/Mid-pipe resonated, Red Alpha Lower Downpipes, Red Alpha Aluminum AWD Driveshaft, AMS Red Alpha Tune, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S + VS Forged VS02 Brushed Bronze - F:255/40R19 / R:295/35R19]

Last edited by Malmby; 01-12-2020 at 08:19 AM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
I would like more of arefined noise and a balanced performance. I've been looking into getting downpipes from Fast Intentions.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I just installed the Infiniti Hemholtz axle back exhaust mentioned earlier in this thread. In my opinion, it sounds great. I'm very happy with it (my wife, not so much).

While I would have liked something with decibel levels that would peel the paint off my neighbors house, it was important I get something that wouldn't give me warranty problems if I took it in to the dealer for service. The dealers by me are not very cool and I need to make sure my mods are covert enough or manufacturer approved to avoid any issues. This is a genuine Infiniti product. You used to be able by it directly from the Infiniti Motorsports website, but I guess Ghosn must have taken that with him to Lebanon since the site's no longer up.

I think it's a very refined sound. Not too loud at idle or low revs, which is good if you're passing a cop, you can just coast by and he/she shouldn't cite you for noise. But once you put a little throttle into her, it screams and sounds great.

Best part was I could install it myself since it's just a bolt-on part. No welding required. Just 4 14mm bolts. Took me about an hour once I got the car is lifted.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin Ramos View Post
I would like more of arefined noise and a balanced performance. I've been looking into getting downpipes from Fast Intentions.
Refined sound with good performance and going with the Fast Intentions downpipes ... I would go with the Fast Intentions cat-back exhaust. I would recommend the resonated x-pipe with the Touring mufflers (14-inch). If you like your exhaust on the louder side, then pick the Sport mufflers (10-inch) to get a slightly louder sound than the Touring mufflers, which should be a little louder than OEM (noticeably louder with the downpipe upgrade). Definitely get the resonated x-pipe to minimize drone, especially on the highway.

2017 Q60 AWD - 414 whp, 494 wtq [Red Alpha Cold Air Intake Kit, Red Alpha Heat Exchanger, Red Alpha Coolant Expansion Tank, Red Alpha Auxiliary Coolant Tank, Mishimoto Oil Catch Can, Infiniti Akebono Big Brake Kit, Infiniti Q60 Helmholtz Sport Exhaust, aFe Power Y-pipe/Mid-pipe resonated, Red Alpha Lower Downpipes, Red Alpha Aluminum AWD Driveshaft, AMS Red Alpha Tune, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S + VS Forged VS02 Brushed Bronze - F:255/40R19 / R:295/35R19]
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
[QUOTE=chomachomachoma;181774]
Best part was I could install it myself since it's just a bolt-on part. No welding required. Just 4 14mm bolts. Took me about an hour once I got the car is lifted.[/QUOTE

Right! I left mine on the ground though and just crawled underneath.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstod88 View Post
Right! I left mine on the ground though and just crawled underneath.
Sure. If you're skinny enough, that works too.

I just picked up a new floor jack and was looking for an excuse to use it.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Would I need to buy a heat exchanger to go along with the exhaust?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 12:51 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin Ramos View Post
Would I need to buy a heat exchanger to go along with the exhaust?
A heat exchanger has nothing to do with your exhaust. It's for helping to keep your intake charge temp down. Better heat exchangers will mean you can make more pulls before your engine heat soaks.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 01:42 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Might have seemed like a stupid question but the reason I asked is because I was a pros & cons video about full & lower downpipes. This is my first time modding a car so I want to make sure I do everything right and avoid problems. I appreciate you replying. Thanks!
NINaudio likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement