Infiniti Q60 Forums banner

Suggestions on buying an exhaust

6K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Cado 
#1 ·
I have a 2017 Q60 Premium. Just wanted to get some guidance on what exhaust to buy and/or how to go about it? Thanks.

#2 · (Edited)
It would help to know what you want from it ... how loud? What tone are you aiming for--lawnmower or a more refined noise? Maximum performance or balanced performance and comfort? Are you looking to do downpipes as well? Do you have a budget? Do you care about the aesthetics of the exhaust tips?

Plenty of fantastic options available through AMS Performance, Z1 Motorsports, Concept Z Performance, and even participating Infiniti Motorsports dealers.

I would guess the two most common exhaust upgrades for after the downipes are Infiniti Motorsports axle-back exhausts and Fast Intentions cat-back exhaust.

Reactions: Edwin Ramos
#5 ·
Refined sound with good performance and going with the Fast Intentions downpipes ... I would go with the Fast Intentions cat-back exhaust. I would recommend the resonated x-pipe with the Touring mufflers (14-inch). If you like your exhaust on the louder side, then pick the Sport mufflers (10-inch) to get a slightly louder sound than the Touring mufflers, which should be a little louder than OEM (noticeably louder with the downpipe upgrade). Definitely get the resonated x-pipe to minimize drone, especially on the highway.

#4 ·
I just installed the Infiniti Hemholtz axle back exhaust mentioned earlier in this thread. In my opinion, it sounds great. I'm very happy with it (my wife, not so much).

While I would have liked something with decibel levels that would peel the paint off my neighbors house, it was important I get something that wouldn't give me warranty problems if I took it in to the dealer for service. The dealers by me are not very cool and I need to make sure my mods are covert enough or manufacturer approved to avoid any issues. This is a genuine Infiniti product. You used to be able by it directly from the Infiniti Motorsports website, but I guess Ghosn must have taken that with him to Lebanon since the site's no longer up.

I think it's a very refined sound. Not too loud at idle or low revs, which is good if you're passing a cop, you can just coast by and he/she shouldn't cite you for noise. But once you put a little throttle into her, it screams and sounds great.

Best part was I could install it myself since it's just a bolt-on part. No welding required. Just 4 14mm bolts. Took me about an hour once I got the car is lifted.

#9 ·
A heat exchanger has nothing to do with your exhaust. It's for helping to keep your intake charge temp down. Better heat exchangers will mean you can make more pulls before your engine heat soaks.

#10 ·
Might have seemed like a stupid question but the reason I asked is because I was a pros & cons video about full & lower downpipes. This is my first time modding a car so I want to make sure I do everything right and avoid problems. I appreciate you replying. Thanks!

#11 ·
IMO, lower downpies (AMS or Z1) coupled with Fast Intentions cat back exhaust (resonated or non resonated) non resonated will be a touch louder..and get the AMS heat exchanger and than maybe a tune the car would be a world of a difference from stock. I used to full full downpipes but the tuner couldn't control the boost spikes and caused me to over boost often so went back to lower down pipes and looking for a new tuner which will most likely be RT tuning in PA. Or Brandon (BT tuning) i have seen him giving people some major gains.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.