4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Manual vs. Automatic

Hey guys, I am starting this thread to give you all a place to share your experiences, opinions, or just comments on the whole automatic vs manual hate within the greater car community.

In your opinion:

As the 2nd gen Q60 only comes in auto, have you received any hate for driving an automatic? If so, what was said? How did you handle the situation?

"Respect all Builds" is a very common saying in the car community, why do you suppose that is completely thrown aside when it comes to Auto vs Manual? Is it real hatred towards one side, or is it all just poking fun?

Shouldn't we all be trying to be unified? What do you believe causes this superiority problem within the car community?

Please share your responses and experiences!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Garage
If anyone talks trash I'll just pull out my CBR1000S1 Hurricane and then we'll see what's up.

But seriously, I bought the Q60 for me. I don't give a rat's a-s-s what anyone else thinks.
InfinitiFreak likes this.

2017 Q60 Red Sport 400 Pure White / Monaco Red
Premium Plus Package 3.0t Sport / Silver Optic Fiber Interior Trim / INFINITI Radiant Illuminated Kick Plates / INFINITI Radiant Grille Emblem / Infiniti Sport Exhaust Kit
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 12:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHarris View Post
Hey guys, I am starting this thread to give you all a place to share your experiences, opinions, or just comments on the whole automatic vs manual hate within the greater car community.

In your opinion:

As the 2nd gen Q60 only comes in auto, have you received any hate for driving an automatic? If so, what was said? How did you handle the situation?

"Respect all Builds" is a very common saying in the car community, why do you suppose that is completely thrown aside when it comes to Auto vs Manual? Is it real hatred towards one side, or is it all just poking fun?

Shouldn't we all be trying to be unified? What do you believe causes this superiority problem within the car community?

Please share your responses and experiences!!
The superiority complex comes from the fact that many AT drivers can't drive a manual car, that and a MT has greater control of the car during corners. Also a lot of it is posturing because modern ATs are faster at shifting than MTs. But then MT enthusiasts cite greater ATs have larger drivetrain losses. But modern drivetrains have minimized drivetrain losses, and on goes the bickering. It's all in good fun since everyone knows that higher output vehicles are all AT.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 06:55 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Garage
My experience is two types of people try to speak down to automatic transmission drivers: ignorant children and ignorant old people (including middle-class dad down the road with the beer belly and three children. Looking at you Larry with your minivan.) Thankfully, I avoid the car scene and communities because there are just too many unnecessary egos.

Fact of the matter is, automatic transmissions are hands down better than a manual from a performance and strength standpoint. Faster shifts and able to withhold more power. While a DCT is very fun, there is nothing quite like a manual transmission -- do this day, I would still prefer a manual transmission while cruising through a back-country road in the middle of autumn.

The one time I had a coworker that just would not shut up about it, and I could not avoid like any other random person, I dealt with it by inviting them to go get lunch one day -- I just so happen to be driving the wife's Mini JCW with a 6-speed manual and stage 2 clutch that day. Much to their surprise, I have thousands of hours of track time driving a manual transmission, and I am pretty darn good at it. That was the last time they brought up AT vs MT ...

2017 Q60 AWD - 414 whp, 494 wtq [Red Alpha Cold Air Intake Kit, Red Alpha Heat Exchanger, Red Alpha Coolant Expansion Tank, Red Alpha Auxiliary Coolant Tank, Mishimoto Oil Catch Can, Infiniti Akebono Big Brake Kit, Infiniti Q60 Helmholtz Sport Exhaust, aFe Power Y-pipe/Mid-pipe resonated, Red Alpha Lower Downpipes, Red Alpha Aluminum AWD Driveshaft, AMS Red Alpha Tune, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S + VS Forged VS02 Brushed Bronze - F:255/40R19 / R:295/35R19]
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Garage
You can also ask those AT haters to show you how competent they are rev matching on downshifts

2017 Q60 Red Sport 400 Pure White / Monaco Red
Premium Plus Package 3.0t Sport / Silver Optic Fiber Interior Trim / INFINITI Radiant Illuminated Kick Plates / INFINITI Radiant Grille Emblem / Infiniti Sport Exhaust Kit
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Yes I hate autos and I would have bought this car in a manual if I could but as much as I am MT over Autos all day.
Respect to everyone that has a manual though, I loved driving it. I will probably pick up a Civic Si down the road or whatever else is out there when the time comes.

First of all man, they don't even make this car in MT, and on top of that at least this car isn't the CVT that plagues every Nissan car.

Driving a manual takes skill and I'm not talking about to drive it normally, I'm talking about driving it "spirited" rev matching, heel toe, power-sliding/drifting. **** what about racing someone at a stoplight and you miss a gear from 2nd to 3rd but you put it into 5th. Yes I've done it and there's NOBODY else to blame for that mistake except me.
Basically man most people from what I see that have that elite attitude can't even drive a manual that good anyways.

One of the guys who gave me a hard time about my Q drives a S550 GT Mustang(Stereo-typical dad) and let me tell you....this dude should have gotten the 10 speed auto because he clearly cannot drive it. And as much faster he is than me (I have the premium trim) it doesn't mean anything if he stays spinning at that stoplight while I'm already gone.

But most of the time it's just young kids, I was also one of those kids who made fun of people for getting an automatic when I was their age....funny how it happens to me now.

And the next thing man, car enthusiasts as a community, we are dying very quickly the community is very small.

I've had all kinds of people make fun of me for driving an Auto....which is fine but at the end of the day man we drive nicer cars than most people who hate on us.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Garage
To me anyone who lives in any congested metro area is crazy to get a manual but hey whatever turns you on, but I'll never go back. I just laugh now if someone says I should have one, they just don't get that half your time is in stop & go. I often wondered why car manufacturers don't offer a system that truly includes both? Now that would be a way for them to differentiate they vehicles from others.

Chances are your future holds an electric vehicle. I test drove a Tesla S and was stunned that there was no shifting at all. I tried to turn the little knob on the steering column thinking that was my recourse and the sales guy almost lost it in midflight! Even on their high roadster there is no gears, no shifting. Their 4 motor vehicle goes 0 - 60 in 2.6 seconds but what fun is it if you can up & down shift...

- Omenx

2017 Q60 RWD Red Sport 400 Pure White / Graphite Leather Interior / Carbon Fiber
Every option except WiFi and the new Infiniti Sport Exhaust Kit
Tinted Windows, Debadged, Black Wrapped front spoiler lip and Chrome Blackout
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Garage
If you have the $ and can get your Q60 over to ConceptZ Performance, they can install a manual transmission for you:

2017 Q60 Red Sport AWD Iridium Blue / Monaco Red / Premium Plus Package 3.0t Sport / Infiniti Sport Mats / FI Full Catted DPs & CBE / Stoptech Trophy BBK FR & RR w/SS-Braided Brake Lines / Infiniti HE / Infiniti Intakes / AMS HPFP / Ecutek Tune / BMS Pedal Tuner / Infiniti Radiant Sport Grille / EMM Tuning CF Foglight Finishers / CF Duckbill RR Spoiler / Mishimoto OCC / Stillen Rear Stab Future: AMS LPFP / AMS CF DS / Z1 LSD / Vorsteiner 20" VFF 112s (Staggered) / Michelin Pilot 4Ss
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
I understand modern ATs can shift faster than I can, but I still prefer a manual because I think it is more fun to drive.

I miss my 2013 G37S 6MT.
Omenx likes this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I’m totally over MT. I traded my 2008 G37S 6MT in on my 2017 Q60 RS400. Two things I said I wouldn’t have again is MT or black paint. ��
InfinitiFreak and WShade like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page