20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
heat exchangers options

The AMS Performance Red Alpha heat exchanger is listed at $799 .
While the BMS heat exchanger ( they have two models ) are listed at $299 and $399 respectively.

What is the difference between the AMS Red Alpha and the BMS and is it worth paying more for the more expensive one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Garage
I would say compare the amount of fluid capacity and before-and-after temperate graphs, but BMS does not provide any of that. I know many on the Q60 and Q50 forums are very happy with BMS, but I prefer AMS due to 1) openness and details provided and 2) quality. With AMS, you are paying an "AMS tax" ... that is, paying for the name (because they are always the highest quality) and the R&D that goes into their products -- AMS is very meticulous and pretty much perfectionists.

2017 Q60 AWD - 414 whp, 494 wtq [Red Alpha Cold Air Intake Kit, Red Alpha Heat Exchanger, Red Alpha Coolant Expansion Tank, Red Alpha Auxiliary Coolant Tank, Mishimoto Oil Catch Can, Infiniti Akebono Big Brake Kit, Infiniti Q60 Helmholtz Sport Exhaust, aFe Power Y-pipe/Mid-pipe resonated, Red Alpha Lower Downpipes, Red Alpha Aluminum AWD Driveshaft, AMS Red Alpha Tune, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S + VS Forged VS02 Brushed Bronze - F:255/40R19 / R:295/35R19]
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 09:39 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Iíve recommended the AMS in the past (outside of me selling them) because of zero fitment issues and proven performance. That AMS tax @Malmby is true, but it gets you a lot!

Because of the partnership with Infiniti, AMS is engineering their stuff from the ground up, which is a bit different than reverse engineering stuff.

Another support mod to consider is the larger expansion tank, which isnít crucial, but, to be considered. This adds to the price tag.

Of the HEís Iíve sold in the past, Iíve not had any dissatisfied buyers.

SO...honest questions and this should best direct you how to proceed: how hot does it get where you are and how often are you spirited in your driving? If memory serves, youíre in Canada. The AMS HE has no heat soak issues. I honestly donít know about BMS. From what Iíve caught in the past from others is the BMS May have slight fitment modification needed for install. But, if you are only spirited in occasion and it doesnít get hot up there like it was down here (101F at one point last week!), you should be fine going the lesser-cost BMS route.
@marcogag, if youíre after the AMS one, hit me up and let me see what I can work for you.

Sorry if this is a bit scattered in thought. Iím trying to give the best overall argument for both sides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
testrage likes this.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by saboxerman View Post
Another support mod to consider is the larger expansion tank, which isnít crucial, but, to be considered. This adds to the price tag.
A great recommendation, but I would personally pick the Auxiliary Intercooler Tank over the Coolant Expansion Tank if I had to pick only one of those two additions to run with initially, but I guess that does add another $100 to the hardware cost + likely more in labor ... (Heat Exchanger first, before any other mods, whether you choose to go with AMS or BMS!)
Warning: the Coolant Expansion Tank is easier to install than the Auxiliary Intercooler Tank; however, the Coolant Expansion Tank is slightly annoying when it comes to measuring your fluid levels -- I made a dedicated, marked stick for this purpose.

All of those cooling modifications from AMS are available through the Infiniti Motorsports catalog, FYI. And @saboxermanis the best to work with in my experience.
IridiumRS400 and saboxerman like this.

2017 Q60 AWD - 414 whp, 494 wtq [Red Alpha Cold Air Intake Kit, Red Alpha Heat Exchanger, Red Alpha Coolant Expansion Tank, Red Alpha Auxiliary Coolant Tank, Mishimoto Oil Catch Can, Infiniti Akebono Big Brake Kit, Infiniti Q60 Helmholtz Sport Exhaust, aFe Power Y-pipe/Mid-pipe resonated, Red Alpha Lower Downpipes, Red Alpha Aluminum AWD Driveshaft, AMS Red Alpha Tune, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S + VS Forged VS02 Brushed Bronze - F:255/40R19 / R:295/35R19]
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Garage
I have the Infiniti-branded (AMS) HE. The Infiniti dealership installed the HE and also gave me a 1 year warranty on the installation labor.

2017 Q60 Red Sport AWD Iridium Blue / Monaco Red / Premium Plus Package 3.0t Sport / Infiniti Sport Mats / FI Full Catted DPs & CBE / Stoptech Trophy BBK FR & RR w/SS-Braided Brake Lines / Infiniti HE / Infiniti Intakes / AMS HPFP / Ecutek Tune / BMS Pedal Tuner / Infiniti Radiant Sport Grille / EMM Tuning CF Foglight Finishers / CF Duckbill RR Spoiler / Mishimoto OCC / Stillen Rear Stab Future: AMS LPFP / AMS CF DS / Z1 LSD / Vorsteiner 20" VFF 112s (Staggered) / Michelin Pilot 4Ss
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
thanks for all your comments .
I will digest and make my decision.
saboxerman likes this.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
I second the AMS HE. I was between AMS and Burger but because of AMS i went with them... They do have an AFFIRM PAYMENT OPTION if you dont want to shell out 800 off the bat just a thought!

2018 Platinum Graphite Q60 AWD
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 01:36 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeFromLI View Post
I second the AMS HE. I was between AMS and Burger but because of AMS i went with them... They do have an AFFIRM PAYMENT OPTION if you dont want to shell out 800 off the bat just a thought!

Itís not much, but, Iím offering the Infiniti variant of the AMS HE at $740 shipped to the 48. Saves off of MSRP and shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WShade and JakeFromLI like this.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
just get the infiniti branded HE...its the same as the AMS one but its cheaper and if you get it on ebay you can do the 6months 0% financing through paypal credit. Its also considered a infiniti part so less warranty issues to deal with.

Current ride: 2017 BMW M2 6spd

Last cars
2018 Q60 Redsport AWD

2008 BMW 335xi AWD

2014 Subaru WRX AWD

2003 G35 RWD

2002 Mercedes C32 AMG RWD
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IridiumRS400 View Post
I have the Infiniti-branded (AMS) HE. The Infiniti dealership installed the HE and also gave me a 1 year warranty on the installation labor.
What was the labor on the install if you don't mind me asking?

2017 Graphite Shadow Q60 3.0t AWD; Rohana RFX11s in Brushed Bronze (20x11 +50, 20x9 +22); JB4; MBRP LDP & Catback; Z1 Sport Brake upgrade w/braided lines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page