LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Ams cai

Hi All,
Been thinking about getting a AMS CAI. Went to the AMS web site And saw this chart. From what I gather is there will be no real benefit from installing their CAI compared to the Stock CAI. Not without doing a tune.
Being a average person who cannot afford everything in one shot; Is it even worth buying and installing with out buying the whole stage one package?

https://www.amsperformance.com/wp-co...e-1024x463.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stock_red_sport_intake-1024x463.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	21172  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Garage
You ask a very good question @Richard Hul

I have the AMS CAI and didn't really notice any additional power (although I did notice slightly better throttle response at WOT even when the A.C. was off but I doubt that's quantifiable and might just be anecdotal.

I don't regret getting the CAI (I got a **** good deal on it thanks to an ebay 15% off coupon) and it'll work out well if I ever add more AMS mods+tune but there's probably less reason to get it by itself (except for the usual bragging right, etc imho) and that money could haven probably been put to better use.

Also, that install is a major pita....I hated every single minute of it and gave up midway (only to realize I was SOL since I couldn't figure out how to get everything back the way it was meaning I had to keep going with the install...lmao).
saboxerman and JakeFromLI like this.

Red when moderating
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. Every other color when just being any ol' forum member
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 03:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Hul View Post
Hi All,
Been thinking about getting a AMS CAI. Went to the AMS web site And saw this chart. From what I gather is there will be no real benefit from installing their CAI compared to the Stock CAI. Not without doing a tune.
Being a average person who cannot afford everything in one shot; Is it even worth buying and installing with out buying the whole stage one package?

IMO, Instead of paying $500 for the intakes.Just get a JB4. You will definitely feel a difference with it.

'17 Q60 3.0t (Jb4 Map 6)

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 04:06 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Hul View Post
Hi All,

CAI yields limited returns because the main bottleneck after exhaust, are the tiny turbos. Would help with in ease of tuning though.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 07:09 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Garage
One of the members on the facebook Tech Page did a detailed study on each brand's CAI and yielded data that showed the stock intakes allow the car to PERFORM better than any other intake. You'll get the benefits of aural/visual perks from aftermarket intakes, but if you're looking for straight gains, you're better off with stock.
Bevo Horn and pel0quin like this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Garage
Who doesn't love the inconvenience of washing filters and allowing "a full day or two to dry"?
Morpheus likes this.

2017 Q60 Red Sport 400 Pure White / Monaco Red
Premium Plus Package 3.0t Sport / Silver Optic Fiber Interior Trim / INFINITI Radiant Illuminated Kick Plates / INFINITI Radiant Grille Emblem / Infiniti Sport Exhaust Kit
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderman7000 View Post
One of the members on the facebook Tech Page did a detailed study on each brand's CAI and yielded data that showed the stock intakes allow the car to PERFORM better than any other intake. You'll get the benefits of aural/visual perks from aftermarket intakes, but if you're looking for straight gains, you're better off with stock.
Double check to see if the AMS kit was included. I've seen the chart a couple times it was stock compared Stillen, AEM, and BMS.

The AMS one is the only one that I've come across that was direct fit, no CEL, no transmission jerking issues and no tune required. That's due to their partnership with Infiniti and being able to build from the ground up with the proprietary engineering specs rather than reverse engineering stuff.

However, in conversations with anyone, I always stress CAI's are a compliment mod and their full potential will NOT be realized without at least a tune, exhaust upgrade, or both. Vehicles are so heavily computer regulated, it's not like the old days where where it was bolt-and-go and that's it.
testrage likes this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 11:28 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Garage
Check out BMS intakes. Since you should already assume any aftermarket will not yield power gains, look into the next advantage of an intake, sound. BMS intakes sound awesome!

I had them on my car for 12k miles and never had a single issue. No CEL, no jerking, nothing and they don't require a tune. Install was also very easy compared to the other options.

2007 G35 Coupe
2011 G37x Coupe
2013 G37x Sedan
2015 370z Nismo Edition

2017 Pure Whtie Q60 RS AWD
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Garage
Save the $499 and purchase the LDPs for less $. LDPs are one of the best bangs for the buck on this platform, and it removes one of the biggest restrictions (secondary cat) in the exhaust. And no, the LDPs will not cause a CEL.
testrage and saboxerman like this.

2017 Q60 Red Sport AWD Iridium Blue / Monaco Red / Premium Plus Package 3.0t Sport / Infiniti Sport Mats / FI Full Catted DPs & CBE / Stoptech Trophy BBK FR & RR w/SS-Braided Brake Lines / Infiniti HE / Infiniti Intakes / AMS HPFP / Ecutek Tune / BMS Pedal Tuner / Infiniti Radiant Sport Grille / EMM Tuning CF Foglight Finishers / CF Duckbill RR Spoiler / Mishimoto OCC / Stillen Rear Stab Future: AMS LPFP / AMS CF DS / Z1 LSD / Vorsteiner 20" VFF 112s (Staggered) / Michelin Pilot 4Ss
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 05:05 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
you can just get the infiniti branded versions on ebay for cheaper and wait for a 15% off ebay coupon.

But best bang for your bucks would be heat exchanger and jb4.

Current ride: 2017 BMW M2 6spd

Last cars
2018 Q60 Redsport AWD

2008 BMW 335xi AWD

2014 Subaru WRX AWD

2003 G35 RWD

2002 Mercedes C32 AMG RWD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page