5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Tire Pressures: over or under?

Difficult to dial in your tire pressures precisely as of course the PSI varies by 2-6 lbs depending on OAT, road top temperature, amount of time driving, etc.

The recommended tire Psi is 35 pounds. (COLD inflation). Generally after about 30-45 minutes of driving highway/street my tire pressures range between 36 to 38/39 PSI.

My question is this:
Given the choice of running slightly over inflated vs slightly under inflated, which is preferable?

My "tire guy" says you should NEVER drive on UNDER inflated tires. He says it's dangerous because when a tire is under inflated the risk of over heating and blowout is greatly increased. He checks my tires and inflates them for free whenever I feel like dropping in. He always adds about a pound of air to whatever the recommended tire PSI is (sticker on the inside of the door jamb).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Garage
Always set tire pressure cold with an accurate tire gauge. Don't rely on the TPMS for accuracy. Tire pressure should increase as you drive because tire temperature increases as you drive. When your cold tire pressure is too low, then your tires run hot which hurts gas mileage and tread life. If tire temperature gets too high they can delaminate. I always inflate mine to 37 psi cold, then I don't have to worry about them being too low, especially when ambient air temperature drops.
gipsonke likes this.

2017 Q60 Red Sport 400 Pure White / Monaco Red
Premium Plus Package 3.0t Sport / Silver Optic Fiber Interior Trim / INFINITI Radiant Illuminated Kick Plates / INFINITI Radiant Grille Emblem / Infiniti Sport Exhaust Kit
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo Horn View Post
Always set tire pressure cold with an accurate tire gauge. Don't rely on the TPMS for accuracy. Tire pressure should increase as you drive because tire temperature increases as you drive. When your cold tire pressure is too low, then your tires run hot which hurts gas mileage and tread life. If tire temperature gets too high they can delaminate. I always inflate mine to 37 psi cold, then I don't have to worry about them being too low, especially when ambient air temperature drops.
+1 Always set my to like 36-37 cold
Bevo Horn likes this.

'17 Q60 3.0t (Jb4 Map 6)

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Hello Guys. My TPMS is indicating about 41/42 psi, and it looks like the alarm threshold is set to 38. These values are slightly higher than I prefer. What is the process the lower the warning value? I'd like to set it to about 35 and run 38 psi.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by '18RS View Post
Hello Guys. My TPMS is indicating about 41/42 psi, and it looks like the alarm threshold is set to 38. These values are slightly higher than I prefer. What is the process the lower the warning value? I'd like to set it to about 35 and run 38 psi.
You receive an alarm when pressure hits 41? Once I start rolling I switch the display to show tire pressure. After I get confirmation pressure is good I change the display to something else. In 3 years I've never received an alarm.

Premium Plus Package 3.0t Sport / Silver Optic Fiber Interior Trim / INFINITI Radiant Illuminated Kick Plates / INFINITI Radiant Grille Emblem / Infiniti Sport Exhaust Kit
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 01:50 PM

No the alarm has never been triggered, but it will if I decrease the current pressure of 42 down to 38. So, I'm asking how to change the alarm setting from 38 psi down to 35 psi.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
No the alarm has never been triggered, but it will if I decrease the current pressure of 42 down to 38. So, I'm asking how to change the alarm setting from 38 psi down to 35 psi.
I'm not sure there's a setting that can be changed. There's no setting on my car that I know of. Are you referring to the pressure readings on the display as seen in the first post?

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 02:50 PM

Yes, in the photo of the first post the value between the wheels is "35", which I am assuming is the set point for the alarm for low tire pressure. My car displays "38" here... I want to change the 38 to 35
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 02:51 PM

My goal here is to run 38 psi in the tires and not get alerted constantly for a slight dip in pressure with temp swings.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Yes, in the photo of the first post the value between the wheels is "35", which I am assuming is the set point for the alarm for low tire pressure. My car displays "38" here... I want to change the 38 to 35
That 35 is a graphic. That's embedded in the icon. It can't be changed. It's just a label, a friendly reminder that recommended cold tire pressure is 35 PSI

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page