Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title isn't very clear....trying to learn what generation the 2017 Q60 is and how many years this style has been in production. Would also appreciate your opinion on how many more years this body style will remain in production.

Thx, Boib

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's a second generation Q60, because there was a Q60 before it. It is the first year for this style/generation. Technically available since November 2016, I think. Third Gen Q60 probably won't be for five or more years.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Isn't it technically the 3rd generation since the G35/G37 name was essentially renamed to Q60 like all of the other models?

Or do we not consider the 1st coupe??

·
Registered
153 Posts
3rd generation i believe

Reactions: RandomRon82

·
Registered
479 Posts
I would say it is the 3rd generation. The way I see it is:

G35 Coupe-1st Generation
G37 Coupe-2nd Generation
Q60 Coupe(2017+)-3rd Generation

I don't consider anything except the 2017+ as the Q60 coupe as the previous was just a badge change, LOL. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Reactions: Q602B

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
G35 was never called a Q60. If you ever call a G35 a first generation Q60 you're a weirdo.
So using that logic you couldn't call the first generation Z, the 240Z because of the name change? Or is using the Z in the name and changing the number close enough? Good Question I think. Both has their own merits. Or a third possibility is it the Japanese Fairlady? I not even sure myself... lol

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
I could see it multiple ways but I prefer to just think of it as the best generation so far :D

I do think we'll get a slight refresh in the next year or so but I don't know how long this generation will last. It will depend on sales and how well the car does. It's not a money maker in the same way the suvs are for Infiniti so those will get preferential treatment before the coupe does. So we may end up with a Q60 that goes 7 or 8 yrs with minor changes (I sincerely hope not however for the longevity of the brand and the 2 door sport coupe gt).

My 2c.

Also, let's please refrain from name calling and such. It may not be meant to be insulting but can come across that way since this is the internet :|

·
Registered
231 Posts
Also, let's please refrain from name calling and such. It may not be meant to be insulting but can come across that way since this is the internet :|
Why can't we have a thumbs down/dislike button? lol

Reactions: testrage

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
Why can't we have a thumbs down/dislike button? lol
I know the software needs to be developed that way but I don't think our base software has that capability yet. I know some forum software integrates it as "rep" or "reputation" points. The concern I would have is that it's pretty easy to take offense and some folks might get offended easily and negatively rep others as a result or start vendettas against someone and neg every post of theirs.

I know the admin/mod team here tries to give everyone a welcome area to express yourself and not be entirely too P.C. However, there are terms and conditions that everyone agreed to when joining this forum and we do try to enforce in case something might get out of hand. I want everyone to consider this an inclusive environment and I'm confident the rest of the mod staff would agree with me.

:D

P.S. - I'd like to retire using the "red" for today. I've used it entirely too much today IMO so I'd like to give it a rest >:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys but you have confused me...one or more of you say or imply that 2017 is the first year of this "generation"...yet I see an add for a 2014 Q60 right next to this post????

Bob

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
Thanks guys but you have confused me...one or more of you say or imply that 2017 is the first year of this "generation"...yet I see an add for a 2014 Q60 right next to this post????

Bob
Infiniti changed the model name of the G37 in 2014 and 2015 to Q60. It was a new naming scheme being driven at the time by the head honcho of Infiniti. He came from Audi (if memory serves me right) and wanted to switch to a "Q" naming scheme for all cars with "QX" reserved for the SUVs or hatchbacks with some ground clearance (i.e. that were raised).

However, the G37 was only re-badged to go from the 2013 Infiniti G37 to the 2014 Infiniti Q60. No actual design changes or engineering changes were made to the car. So in effect, the first true Q60 (i.e. designed to carry the name from the concept stage) is the current model year Q60 that starts with the 2017 MY (production started in August 2016 with sales beginning around October/November 2016).

Hopefully that helps Bob :D

·
Registered
500 Posts
Infiniti changed the model name of the G37 in 2014 and 2015 to Q60. It was a new naming scheme being driven at the time by the head honcho of Infiniti. He came from Audi (if memory serves me right) and wanted to switch to a "Q" naming scheme for all cars with "QX" reserved for the SUVs or hatchbacks with some ground clearance (i.e. that were raised).

However, the G37 was only re-badged to go from the 2013 Infiniti G37 to the 2014 Infiniti Q60. No actual design changes or engineering changes were made to the car. So in effect, the first true Q60 (i.e. designed to carry the name from the concept stage) is the current model year Q60 that starts with the 2017 MY (production started in August 2016 with sales beginning around October/November 2016).

Hopefully that helps Bob :D
I have a feeling this won't be the first time. Someone might want to sticky something explaining the changes but make it part of some mega thread on helpful information.

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
I have a feeling this won't be the first time. Someone might want to sticky something explaining the changes but make it part of some mega thread on helpful information.
I agree. Wanna take a stab at it? :D

I can make it a sticky then. :) I want to encourage everyone to contribute...it would suck if most of the sticky's were mod generated threads. IMHO at least.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'll comply and agree that it is reasonable to see the 2017 Q60 as the third generation car. Just feels odd to me because I keep thinking that makes the G35 a first gen Q60 lol. Wonder if Infiniti themselves will have a say haha

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
I'll comply and agree that it is reasonable to see the 2017 Q60 as the third generation car. Just feels odd to me because I keep thinking that makes the G35 a first gen Q60 lol. Wonder if Infiniti themselves will have a say haha
Or conversely, the 2017 Q60 is a third generation "G" >:)

In all seriousness, I usually have to explain what it is by communicating that it is the next in the line of "G" cars but that the naming convention was switched around instead. I wonder what Infiniti would have named the 2017 Q60 if the "G" designation was still around. Would it have been G35, G37, & then G30 (based on displacement) or would they have followed the Germans (most likely imo) and switched to G40 (or something like that to denote succession/betterment, etc).

We'll never know but it's certainly food for thought :D

·
Registered
175 Posts
I wonder what Infiniti would have named the 2017 Q60 if the "G" designation was still around. Would it have been G35, G37, & then G30 (based on displacement)
Can't remember where I read it, but it was in several publication. What you stated was one of the main reason Infiniti went with the new naming scheme. They thought that a G30 would have had a psychological effect with existing customers...customers likely would have thought they were getting less car for more money. Gotta remember the the G37 sedan (Q40) was still being sold alongside the new Q50 when it debuted. Imagine, keeping with the G naming scheme...it would have been a G37 vs G30 (Q50; it was well understood in 2012/maybe 2011 that Infiniti would eventually move to 3.0L turbo). Just looking at the naming alone, which would you think would cost more...which would be the better the car?

Reactions: testrage

·
Registered
175 Posts
Oh, for long-time fans of Infiniti, the '17 Q60 (in my mind) will always be considered 3rd Generation G; the G started this thing...in spirit, it should always be the next G...no matter the naming scheme.

Reactions: Q60bob and testrage
1 - 20 of 23 Posts