Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking at buying my first set of aftermarket wheels (and tires), so I have some noob questions for the experts here.

My main objectives are improved performance overall while not being so aggressive as to create other headaches and staying within a reasonable budget. This is a daily driver that won't ever have to deal with snow and ice, and I'm not in a position to tinker with the car on my own so I want to go with something that is as close to install-and-forget as possible. Of course, it needs to look good too, but it's not the primary consideration. Just needs to look as good or better to me than the OEMs, which I think look nice at least.

My thought was that the good compromise is moving to 255 non-run flats all around, non staggered. Here is where my questions start.

(1) On the question of 19 v. 20, sticking with 19s serves my objectives better I think, as all things being equal going to 20s is mainly an aesthetic thing. BUT it seems like the 19s that will fit over the RS brakes without fuss are limited in number. Does that seem right? The AG models that I really like apparently won't work in 19 but will in 20. Seems true for other brands' models that I have looked at.

(2) going from the 19 OEM run flats to a higher perf non-run flat on 20s probably will not adversely affect ride quality and non-OEM 20s will still weigh significantly less than the OEM 19 wheels. So the main downside to moving to 20s is the slight durability issue with potholes and the like (and the expense of dealing with it if you have a problem). Am I right about that? How much of a durability issue to people think that is? Potholes are a thing now in the SF Bay Area.

Bottom line Q: Do I just go with 20s to have more options/get the wheels that I want (esp. not that Infiniti seems to be saying 20s are the wheels for this car anyway)?

(3) With AWD, the conservative upgrade is non-staggered presumably.

Seems like the max tire width is 255. Is that right? If I'm committed to sticking with non-staggered, is moving from 245 to 255 that big of a deal? I'm thinking it is, but of course even more rubber in the back will have its advantages.

If I want to minimize the risk of having AWD problems over the long haul, I want to rotate the tires, which means sticking with non-staggered. There's also the expense issue of going non-staggered and then having a flat. Do people have strong thoughts re: staggered versus non-staggered on AWD given my use of the car?

any help is very much appreciated.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have an awd Redsport. Running 20x9 with 255's all around. No issues and drives great - actually more nimble and drives nicer than the heavy stock 19 inch wheels and run flats

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Example attached - car is lowered slightly
looks fantastic.

I should probably just the 20s and stop fretting.

did you even bother setting up a spare to have around?

you are in Toronto? do you go with AW tires or do you have winter and non-winter ones?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Really have no reason to fret at all! Tons of people make the bump up, and on various other vehicles, do this all the time.

·
Registered
54 Posts
19in wheels will be lighter with closer rotating mass.
Wheels will be cheaper & Less expensive for tires
Michelin ss are awesome tires

·
Registered
125 Posts
New Asymmetrical Setup on RS 400 AWD

(1) BUT it seems like the 19s that will fit over the RS brakes without fuss are limited in number. Does that seem right?

(3) With AWD, the conservative upgrade is non-staggered presumably.

Seems like the max tire width is 255. Is that right? If I'm committed to sticking with non-staggered, is moving from 245 to 255 that big of a deal? I'm thinking it is, but of course even more rubber in the back will have its advantages.

If I want to minimize the risk of having AWD problems over the long haul, I want to rotate the tires, which means sticking with non-staggered. There's also the expense issue of going non-staggered and then having a flat. Do people have strong thoughts re: staggered versus non-staggered on AWD given my use of the car?

any help is very much appreciated.
Autechpan,

2017 Q60 RS 400 AWD owner here. I just went to a 20" asymmetrical setup.

I had many of the same concerns you did. I think regardless of weather you go to a 19" or 20" wheel, you should be able to find a brand/style you like with the correct offset. I got my rims from HRE and was very happy with their knowledge of the new Q60 and their helpfulness.

I thought I had read on this forum also that 255 was max tire width on the front wheels. This is not true. I am running a 265 on the front with no issues.

I also had concerns about asymmetrical tire sizes on an AWD setup. My setup is 0.1" difference front to back. Most AWD transmissions are set up to handle a difference (due to tread wear or whatever) of 4/32" or 0.125" I am running a 305mm tire on the rear and having no issues so far.

The OEM 245 run flats are junk IMHO. I went with Pirelli P Zero PZ4's. The car rides and feels better with these tires and 20" rims than it did with OEM and 245's! Very happy so far.

Planning on rotating tires side-to-side. Tires are not "directional" but do have an inboard and outboard side that will not change with rotating side-to-side.

Here's my setup: 20x10 Front 265/35/20 Pirellis
20x11 Rear 305/30/20 Pirellis

FWIW, 20x9.5 with a 255/35/20 front tire and 295/30/20 rear tire would have been exactly the same diameter front to back. I probably would have ordered a 9.5 front rim if I was doing it over again so I could have an exact size match. 255 is a little thin for a 10" rim

Hope this helps. PM me if yo have any other questions.

Shane

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
19in wheels will be lighter with closer rotating mass.
Wheels will be cheaper & Less expensive for tires
Michelin ss are awesome tires
Had Michelin PSS on my previous Audi A5. Great tires BUT they are being discontinued at the end of this year. The Pilot Sport PS4 will take its place. I decided not to go with them on my RS 400 AWD because, if you have an issue requiring replacement of a tire on an AWD setup, many installers may require replacement of either 2 or 4 tires if the tread is significantly different.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Everyone who says 255 is the max width on the front with an AWD would be incorrect :). I'm running 275s in the front with no issue. Although, with that in mind, 275s do start getting pricy.

I'm running 19x10+24 with 275/35/19 in the front.

·
InfinitiQ60.org Vendor
790 Posts
Many wheel options out there that can allow for 20x10 all around fitment or even a staggered 20x10 and 20x11 fitment.

If you are definitely looking for a 19" option, I would say Forgestar is definitely a brand to consider as we did setup a 19x9 setup.

·
Registered
5 Posts
just saw this link after posting earlier about the wheels on Infiniti's ' black edition'. I was interested in finding out what they are. I think they are 20" but that is all I know. What options in 19 and 20" would I have on a RWD Q60S to look like these wheels in the attached pic? What offsets would work with tire sizes of 245 front and 265 rear.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
After reading this thread I am considering getting 20" tires and wheels for my Q60 Red Sport AWD for non-winter use and use the run flats for Chicago winters. This way I wont have to purchase new runflats towards the end of my lease and will have better performance the rest of the year.

What do you think of this idea and what do recommend for the new setup? and where should I get the wheels? My car is black on black so black wheels may look good.

Thanks,

·
InfinitiQ60.org Vendor
790 Posts
After reading this thread I am considering getting 20" tires and wheels for my Q60 Red Sport AWD for non-winter use and use the run flats for Chicago winters. This way I wont have to purchase new runflats towards the end of my lease and will have better performance the rest of the year.

What do you think of this idea and what do recommend for the new setup? and where should I get the wheels? My car is black on black so black wheels may look good.

Thanks,
Let us know if we can help you out!

·
InfinitiQ60.org Vendor
790 Posts
just saw this link after posting earlier about the wheels on Infiniti's ' black edition'. I was interested in finding out what they are. I think they are 20" but that is all I know. What options in 19 and 20" would I have on a RWD Q60S to look like these wheels in the attached pic? What offsets would work with tire sizes of 245 front and 265 rear.
Reminds me of the Enkei EKM3 but those are only available in 17" and 18".

Another wheel that I can think of is the TSW Max

·
Registered
181 Posts
Everyone who says 255 is the max width on the front with an AWD would be incorrect :). I'm running 275s in the front with no issue. Although, with that in mind, 275s do start getting pricy.

I'm running 19x10+24 with 275/35/19 in the front.
What are you running in the rear?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thanks.

Michelin pilot sport 4s summer tires. Will put winters on the stock wheels.

No spare.

Example attached - car is lowered slightly
looks fantastic.

I should probably just the 20s and stop fretting.

did you even bother setting up a spare to have around?

you are in Toronto? do you go with AW tires or do you have winter and non-winter ones?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Sorry, I didn't look close enough at your pic on the other thread. This is the proposed Infiniti "Black S" Concept.

Looks like BBS RN-101s in Diamond Black. Those are some super expensive rims! $1000+ per wheel. See here:

Wheel Details - Road Wheels - BBS USA

·
Registered
159 Posts
What are you running in the rear?
19x11 w 295/30/19. Part of me wishes I would have done 305. maybe when these are dead depending if it's still within the 3%

·
Registered
10 Posts

Thanks,
I have an AWD RS and went with 20 x 9 all around (+25 offset) with 255 35 rubber. No issues at all and has an almost flush look. Wheels are Niche Misano M116 which come in an anthracite or black finish.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts