Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys -

I have a 2017 Q60 Redsport with 35k miles with sports exhaust and no other mods. Noticed a few things and was hoping for your expertise on these observations:

1. Nice puff of black smoke under hard acceleration (near WOT or WOT) but NOT during normal daily driving. Wonder about carbon build up in exhaust. It is quite black inside. Also wondered about fuel being too rich. My air filters were pretty dirty so just replaced them. Does anyone have this happen?

2. I looked at my coolant reservoir this AM and noticed it was EMPTY. got freaked out but I started the car and it filled to just above the MIN line just idling there. Car has never overheated but it does emit some white smoke on startup, which I always thought was condensation burning off. Goes away after driving (when I get to destination and I park I dont see any coming out of car as it idles). Never seen any coolant on the ground. I havent opened the radiator cap yet (when cold) and plan on brining it to dealership to have them look at it and fill the coolant to proper levels.

Has anyone noticed that the reservoir can be empty in the AM before starting after sitting overnight? I want to make sure I am not burning coolant due to a leak somewhere.

Want to make sure nothing major is developing before my powertrain warranty expires. I have another year I think (6 yr powertrain gets me to March 2023)

Thanks,
Dave

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,800 Posts
Carbon in the exhaust is normal. Check your manual on when to check reservoir fluid. There are two tanks. One is for the radiator and one is for the intercooler. One should be checked hot and one should be checked cold. I can't remember which but the manual tells you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The puff of black smoke is perfectly normal during the first moment of hard acceleration.
The ecu is protecting the motor from a lean fuel mixture by dumping extra fuel during the first moments of acceleration, causing a rich fuel mixture and a puff of smoke.

If the smoke continues through the entire hard pull then that could be a separate issue.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just brought car to dealership. Inter cooler has bone dry at startup and after driving to dealership. Radiator reservoir was dry at startup and at minimum after driving. Dealer topped off fluids and scheduled appointment with master tech to pressure test and test oil for contaminants. Let’s see what they find. Car running fine, no codes, no sweet smell or persistent white smoke. Will update after tests are done next weekend.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Just brought car to dealership. Inter cooler has bone dry at startup and after driving to dealership. Radiator reservoir was dry at startup and at minimum after driving. Dealer topped off fluids and scheduled appointment with master tech to pressure test and test oil for contaminants.
The oil analysis should be telling - if it has sodium and/or potassium in the oil, then you likely have a engine block or cylinder head porosity problem, which is an inherent defect in the block or head from when it was initially manufactured. We have seen a few cases on the forum, so that would not be unusual. Otherwise, the other way to lose coolant is by burning it, likely from a leaking head gasket, but that has occurred less often on the VR30.

Reactions: brn_doc

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,800 Posts
Inter cooler has bone dry at startup and after driving to dealership. Radiator reservoir was dry at startup and at minimum after driving.
How long ago in time and mileage was the last time the car was serviced?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Regular oil changes every 7k-ish miles. Just had it in for oil change and tire rotation two weeks ago and they said they checked fluids etc but doubt it and air filters were horribly dirty and they didn’t comment on that. Told service manager today about that and he was very apologetic. I changed my two air filters this week No other major maintenance. Due for some stuff coming up since I am at 35k miles.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,800 Posts
air filters were horribly dirty and they didn’t comment on that.
No excuse for that. No brainer and easy money for service department. If you're able, I'd find another dealership for service.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No other Infiniti dealership convenient to me. Agree no excuse for that and will keep a close eye moving forward. Will get everything documented as I still have over a year on power train warranty

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Ok, I'll add one more way to lose coolant - leaking water pump (WP). If you see crusty white deposits below the pump, then you have likely found your loss of coolant issue. Sometimes a leaking WP will allow coolant to drip onto the serpentine belt, which will make it screech, too.

Reactions: 2021Q60RS400

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,800 Posts
Ok, I'll add one more way to lose coolant - leaking water pump (WP).
After 5.5 years and 26+K miles, out of an abundance of caution took mine in for serpentine belt replacement. Had them inspect the water pump. Pressure tested and found water pump had a small leak. Replaced under warranty.
@brn_doc

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Question. Let’s say your are leaking coolant into engine. Would you get white smoke from exhaust all of the time or only during startup? I get white smoke at startup and it will continue for a bit but when I start driving and get to my destination it is gone

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,800 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Regular oil changes every 7k-ish miles. Just had it in for oil change and tire rotation two weeks ago and they said they checked fluids etc but doubt it and air filters were horribly dirty and they didn’t comment on that. Told service manager today about that and he was very apologetic. I changed my two air filters this week No other major maintenance. Due for some stuff coming up since I am at 35k miles.
I know a lot of u guys commenting have a lot of knowledge so going to ask on this thread… hoping people are still watching this thread…
I’ve got a 2021 Q60 RS AWD, and I just noticed the manuals maintenance schedule doesn’t mention when to change the engine air filters. Am I missing it? When should I change them?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I’ve got a 2021 Q60 RS AWD, and I just noticed the manuals maintenance schedule doesn’t mention when to change the engine air filters. Am I missing it? When should I change them?
On page 9-10 of the owner's manual:
Font Parallel Number Circle Document

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, car goes to dealership tomorrow to do a pressure test and test oil. I will ask them to inspect the water pump. They filled the radiator reservoir last Saturday and the level appears to have dropped both when I inspect in the morning before starting and after driving and engine warmed up. Intercooler is holding its coolant. White smoke on startup continues, even in higher temps like today where it was low 70s. Disappears after driving for a few minutes. I suspect it is burning coolant because I dont think there is another reasonable explanation as to why coolant levels are dropping as it is a closed system. no obvious leaks in hoses etc as I dont see any coolant on ground under car.

If it is a porous block or blown head gasket or failed turbo I am tempted to fix it under warranty and then consider selling it and getting something else. Love the car but if it is having problems at 34k miles I would be concerned what issues I might have to deal with later when warranty is expired. Curious what you guys think about longevity of car if an internal leak is discovered and whether repair would eliminate issue moving forward.

If I were to sell and buy I am considering 2021 BMW M4, vs Audi RS5 . Anyone driven these and thoughts? Big problem with buying now is that there are NO cars to test drive and I am not sure how comfortable I am buying sight unseen and without a test drive. Never driven either car before. Requirements for new car would be 1) needs a back seat for kids, 2) as fast or faster than Q60 RS, 3) under $85k, 4) good technology - I like the safety features on the Q especially the front collision prevention where it brakes if it senses a car in front and blind spot monitoring, 5) car play compatibility.

D

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
If it is a porous block or blown head gasket or failed turbo I am tempted to fix it under warranty and then consider selling it and getting something else. Love the car but if it is having problems at 34k miles I would be concerned what issues I might have to deal with later when warranty is expired. Curious what you guys think about longevity of car if an internal leak is discovered and whether repair would eliminate issue moving forward.

If I were to sell and buy I am considering 2021 BMW M4, vs Audi RS5 . Anyone driven these and thoughts? Big problem with buying now is that there are NO cars to test drive and I am not sure how comfortable I am buying sight unseen and without a test drive. Never driven either car before. Requirements for new car would be 1) needs a back seat for kids, 2) as fast or faster than Q60 RS, 3) under $85k, 4) good technology - I like the safety features on the Q especially the front collision prevention where it brakes if it senses a car in front and blind spot monitoring, 5) car play compatibility.

D
If the engine gets replaced, you'll likely be OK going forward. My '17 Q60 gets exercised regularly but gets (over-) maintained. While the forum has documented porous blocks and blown turbos, many of us have not seen any powertrain issues with our Qs. My only warranty items have been the window seals on both driver and passenger sides leaving a mark/smudge on the inside of the windows, which were replaced by the dealer. That's it.

RS5? Audi fanboy here. I absolutely would love a '19 or '21 RS5, even the Sportback, especially for the kiddos. I perused the Audizine forum, and someone is selling a '19 Sonoma Green RS5 SB for $77k:

For Sale: 2019 Sonoma Green RS5 Sportback - $81,999
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Don't know if this '19 RS5 SB in Nardo Gray (tied for my favorite color with Daytona Gray) is still for sale:

2019 RS5 Sportback Nardo Gray - $71000 - AudiWorld Forums
Wheel Car Vehicle Tire Grille

I looked at one earlier this year - a '19 Daytona Gray RS5 SB w/Dynamic+ Package and all the goodies w/15k miles for $71k in California, almost pulled the trigger, but a factory-ordered-for-stock, brand new '21 Daytona Gray SQ5 SB Prestige was offered to me at a discount (invoice) by a local dealer, so we took that instead. That's not to say I'm done looking at one - I may upgrade from the Q at some point and get a '21 or '22 in 1-2 years.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks! Hoping its a water pump or something not involving the engine. I guess if they replace the engine might hold onto it but would hope for an extended warranty on the new engine. What is so frustrating is that there is NO inventory out there to test drive or buy new. Called BMW and they quoted me 6 to 12 months for a new M3 or 4. Such is life :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts