Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Frist time poster here. I have just received a call back from the dealership after my car has been in for the 3rd time in about 3000km. I am having the coolant loss issue, no visible leaks and it passes the pressure test. The dealer said there is nothing they can do at this point as there are no error codes or visible leaks and this is coming from Infiniti.

Does anyone have a dealership contact in the Greater Toronto Area who has had the coolant loss issue resolved with? They keep telling me it is an airpocket - which is obvious as there is no coolant. I am beyond frustrated at this point.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,894 Posts
I am having the coolant loss issue
Are you the original owner? If there's an "air pocket" that they can't solve then they have no business servicing any vehicle. How much coolant in total has been added to the system? It could be a porous block which means engine replacement. Make the service manager read all the posts on the subject in this forum if they don't understand.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you the original owner? If there's an "air pocket" that they can't solve then they have no business servicing any vehicle. How much coolant in total has been added to the system? It could be a porous block which means engine replacement. Make the service manager read all the posts on the subject in this forum if they don't understand.
2nd owner, bought used 12 months ago with CPO - put on about 10k kms. After the 1st time I took it in I was filling up the reservoir every day after a 60km round trip. After the 2nd time I took it in, I did not even open the hood until the heat stopped working and temp gauge spiked when in the driveway, this was after approximately 600km. Picking it back up tomorrow with nothing solved.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,894 Posts
Picking it back up tomorrow with nothing solved.
So what service, if any, did they perform? If they added coolant find out how much was added. Is the car under the factory warranty? If not, corporate is probably not going to do jack.

·
Registered
2017 Q60 Red Sport AWD
1,649 Posts
How does the oil on the dipstick look like? Milky? Normal? If you can, extract or drain off a sample of your oil, and send it off for an oil analysis (Blackstone Labs is a popular lab in the US), you should do so (or convince your dealership to do it)..

The coolant could be weeping into an the oil galley from a water jacket within the cylinder block (a.k.a, block porosity). If so, the oil sample would show elevate levels of silicon from the coolant.

I mention block porosity because some members of this forum and on the infinitiq50.org forum have had engines replaced from coolant loss due to block porosity, which is a manufacturing defect. It is not easy to diagnose, but there are some tell-tale signs - i.e., smoky white exhaust, high silicone in oil.

If this Infiniti dealership can't help, you may want to try a different dealership, as their experience level with this problem will vary.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So what service, if any, did they perform? If they added coolant find out how much was added. Is the car under the factory warranty? If not, corporate is probably not going to do jack.
Will ask tomorrow for the exact amount of coolant added, my guess is the full capacity. Will get the details tomorrow on the service bill. I got the CPO added thankfully when I bought it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How does the oil on the dipstick look like? Milky? Normal? If you can, extract or drain off a sample of your oil, and send it off for an oil analysis (Blackstone Labs is a popular lab in the US), you should do so (or convince your dealership to do it)..

The coolant could be weeping into an the oil galley from a water jacket within the cylinder block (a.k.a, block porosity). If so, the oil sample would show elevate levels of silicon from the coolant.

I mention block porosity because some members of this forum and on the infinitiq50.org forum have had engines replaced from coolant loss due to block porosity, which is a manufacturing defect. It is not easy to diagnose, but there are some tell-tale signs - i.e., smoky white exhaust, high silicone in oil.

If this Infiniti dealership can't help, you may want to try a different dealership, as their experience level with this problem will vary.
The oil looked fine, not milky. I will ask them about a sample tomorrow, I am also sure it will be back in in another 7 business days when it inevitably happens again so I will insist then too.

This is a smaller dealership, hoping someone near Toronto has had a dealership successfully help them and I will take it there before it needs to be towed to this dealership again. I may make a few calls to other dealerships to see if they have had this. The manager said its all Infiniti's directions on what they can do unfortunately, at this point I will gladly pay for an oil test as this is beyond inconvenient having no vehicle and driving 45 minutes each way to the dealership.

I also don't know if they are dragging their feet because it's CPO but when the motor is seized their hand will be forced.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts