Infiniti Q60 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(These comments are only my thoughts and opinions. Of course I welcome yours.)

I recently moved up to a fully optioned 2018 Q60 Red Sport AWD having previously owned a 2008 G37, a 2005 G35 and a 2003 G35 all of which were six speed manuals. I'm still getting used to the car, but as a long-time coupe owner, I thought I'd share my thoughts as they develop. My thought on doing this is mainly aimed at prospective buyers rather than current owners. However I encourage current owners to chime in too. So, in no particular order...

DAS: Its different. Not in a bad way, but rather it's just a completely different steering feel than the G37. I do particularly enjoy the fact it can be customized and filters out some road and tire vibration. However, that can also be a reason some others may not enjoy this system. Yet from my point of view I still feel like the steering communicates very well when cornering or rather that the cars overall chassis and suspension communicate quite well. I love the steering response and overall I like the DAS. However, I find very little differences in the steering settings. I mean, I do feel Sport mode quickens the response, but I'm having more trouble feeling a difference in firmness with those separate settings. I would prefer a heavier feel, especially on the highway.

ALC (Active Lane Control): I thought I would jump on to this topic because it's something I noticed already. The ALC does keep the car in the lane on a well marked highway fairly well. However it has a noticeable tendency to drift left and right frequently...almost clock like. This leads to a very strange sensation in the steering especially with the DAS. Ultimately I turned off the active system but left the warning on. This removed the intrusive behavior on the steering system and freed up the DAS letting me steer it myself. To me, turning this off contributed the most to improving the steering feel.

Forward Braking: I really like this and it will bring the vehicle to a complete stop for about 2 seconds before it releases the brake. However it should be noted that this should be treated as a passive rather than active system.

Drive Modes (Suspension Comments): Personally I can tell a big difference between the standard and sport mode suspension selection. Standard gives the car a more luxurious smoothed out almost floaty, but not quite, ride quality. It noticeably takes the edge off bumpy rough roads. Sport really firms things up and makes the suspension extremely responsive, quick & stable but never harsh. Compared to my G37S I would say that the G37 suspension feel fell somewhere between standard and Sport.

Drive Modes (Engine/Transmission Response Comments): Just like the suspension settings I can feel a big difference between the different settings regarding throttle response. Eco, with the nanny pedal off, smooths out throttle response considerably. It almost gives me the impression that the car has about 250 horsepower. I find this mode appealing in mild stop and go traffic and/or highway driving. Eco mode also seems to slow shifting response.

Standard seems to be, as the name implies, a best average fit. Throttle response is good but still lags occasionally. Transmission response is decent but not overly snappy.

Sport and Sport+ wake the car up a lot. In these modes the throttle response is excellent. The transmission response is also excellent. I have not found that shifts are dulled very much if it all. In manual mode and especially when using the paddle shifters these modes are very quick, so much so that sometimes there would be no way I could shift that fast with a manual transmission. These modes remind me of a large dog at the end of a leash, always pulling ahead and on the verge of being abrupt. Still, I believe a good driver will learn to feel when the car is about to erupt with power and can learn to deal with this easily.

Tires: This one has 255/35-20 Bridgestone RE97s on all four corners. These are not the run flats. Having come from Michelin AS3+ on my G37, these tires lack grip, especially in the wet. They are moderately quiet though. Overall when these wear out I will be going back to the Michelins.

Overall Quality/Feel: I loved my G37, but I have to say, the overall build quality, materials, chassis structure and NVH levels in the Q60 are remarkably improved. Still, the soul is there. I mean this still feels like an Infiniti coupe deep down. If you've owed all previous Infiniti coupe generations as I have, then you know what I mean.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
2018 Q60 Red Sport AWD Owner Impression (Continued...)

Lane Departure: I tried the active system but ultimately turned it off yet left on the warnings. When active, at least around my area, the car would far too frequently steer with a mind of its own. On one particular offramp that is not lined for the proper path to follow, everyone cuts a few feet over the white line to follow the better path. With this system active, the car literally steering me back to the left even though I was still "steering" right. This was a huge butterfly in the stomach / white knuckle sensation for me. Technically the system worked as intended, but I'm not ready to hand over that much control just yet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Congrats on the new car. I also have Q60RS. Love the car just wish it had an actual exhaust note, HUD, and a better NAV (or at least Apple CarPlay). Do you have the AVM? If so are you able to get a full screen reverse camera when cycling through the views?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
.....Do you have the AVM? If so are you able to get a full screen reverse camera when cycling through the views?
I do have it and not full screen. It's my understanding that with this option you're supposed to see the birds eye camera view on the right side at all times. I rather like that approach.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do have it and not full screen. It's my understanding that with this option you're supposed to see the birds eye camera view on the right side at all times. I rather like that approach.
I should clarify...I haven't tried to get it to cycle to a full screen yet. However I am now curious to try.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I agree with most of your comments except for the tires. I had Michelin A/S Pilots for years on my G35 Coupe and then tried a set of Continental Extremes. Wow fell in love with the feel, traction, life wear and how much quieter they were. I guess I should try their latest version since I'm sure there are a ton of improvements.

Enjoy your new Infiniti Coupe!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you have the AVM? If so are you able to get a full screen reverse camera when cycling through the views?
Well...doesnt seem it can be done. I cycled through all the camera views today but the screen on the right side remains.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now with a little over 5000 miles, I'm back for an update.

Fuel Economy: I am averaging 24mpg which is mixed city/hwy. My best has been 27mpg on a trip we took (100% hwy) and worst was 21.5mpg when I spent a week driving entirely in Sport mode. Overall I'm pleased.

In General: I had a random check engine light come on which read as a faulty fuel sending unit. This occurred immediately after I used a pressure washer under the car (drove into mud). I cleared the code and it hasn't returned.

I am still enjoying the car very much. I still miss a manual transmission but I've gotten accustomed to the automatic.

I've now found several sources that say Infiniti recalibrated the DAS for the 2018 models with 20" wheels. All I can say is that the steering on mine is flawless. Tracks beautifully and provides enough feedback to make spirited driving enjoyable and yet filters out enough vibration to remain smooth. I think its outstanding overall.

I'll report back later as the car ages.

·
Registered
447 Posts
i like how the blind spot indicator is in the a pillar of the car. Other manufacturers has the indicator built into the side mirror which makes it difficult to see if you have tint on your car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’ve had several coupes and looking to purchase a Q60 RS AWD. I too want to upgrade the tires. No staggered on the AWD. What’s the biggest size I can plus size to without having issues on a 2019 Q60 RS AWD?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
334 Posts
There are so many threads on this topic you're probably better off searching site tehn getting responses, IMO.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now near 12,000 miles and back with an update.

Fuel Economy: The car is settling in at around 25 to 26 real mpg (Car reads 26 to 27) with 80% highway driving / 20% city. No complaints there.

In general nothing new really. Everything is good. For touchup paint I've settled on the stock Infiniti paint pen. I tried a few others but the color was off. Stock non-runflat Bridgestone tires are wearing evenly...nothing unusual. Overall it still feels new and I still enjoy it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I’ve had several coupes and looking to purchase a Q60 RS AWD. I too want to upgrade the tires. No staggered on the AWD. What’s the biggest size I can plus size to without having issues on a 2019 Q60 RS AWD?

Im currently sitting on RSR downs with 20' wheels and 255/35/20 all around.. no rubbing issues for me however if your awd and your rim is 9-9.5 width then 255 all around should be good.. i dont think you want a bigger tire than 255 up front with the 9.5 rim.

I have 2018 q60 awd

·
Registered
4 Posts
Im currently sitting on RSR downs with 20' wheels and 255/35/20 all around.. no rubbing issues for me however if your awd and your rim is 9-9.5 width then 255 all around should be good.. i dont think you want a bigger tire than 255 up front with the 9.5 rim.

I have 2018 q60 awd

Here’s why I asked. Discount shows multiple options for awd

·
Registered
1 Posts
The one thing I miss the most (besides the manual transmission, obviously) between my 2008 G37S and the 2017 RS 400 AWD is the driver's seat. In the G37 it was an instant "AHH...how comfortable", but I had to purchase a lumbar support for the RS 400.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Now with a little over 20,000 miles, I'm back for another update.

Fuel Economy: I am averaging 25 to 26 mpg now which is mixed city/hwy, but my new best is 33.1 mpg on a trip I took (80% hwy). Overall I'm very pleased.

I added a W1 oil catch can, but I'm not sure if I like it or not. My average mpg seemed to drop just a bit from before and I had to change out the vacuum lines because the ones it came with leaked fuel fumes. But, then I got the 33.1 mpg on a trip I took. So...I'm not sure what to think. The junk that the oil catch can catches has been minimal too; much less than I expected. I guarantee it wouldn't fill up by 5000 miles.

Stock Bridgestone tires are still wearing evenly and look like they will go at least another 10k or more.

Overall, I'm still enjoying the car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts