Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read in one of the major auto magazines today that the 2018 update for the Q60 Red Sport will now be coming with 20" *Non*-run-flat tires . Is this true?

·
Registered
189 Posts
I am not sure what any of this means. The RS400 will have 20" wheels, but it is not clear to me if the AWD model still has Run Flats. Is someone able to clarify this for me?? All-season performance tires could still be Run Flats, right?

"The ultimate Q60, the RED SPORT 400, comes complete with staggered 20-inch aluminum-alloy wheels (20x9.0 front / 20x9.5 rear – rear-wheel drive models only) and summer performance tires (255/35R20 front / 275/30R20 rear). The RED SPORT 400 AWD features 20x9.0 wheels at all corners, mounted with 255/35R20 all-season performance tires. "

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
I am not sure what any of this means. The RS400 will have 20" wheels, but it is not clear to me if the AWD model still has Run Flats. Is someone able to clarify this for me?? All-season performance tires could still be Run Flats, right?

"The ultimate Q60, the RED SPORT 400, comes complete with staggered 20-inch aluminum-alloy wheels (20x9.0 front / 20x9.5 rear – rear-wheel drive models only) and summer performance tires (255/35R20 front / 275/30R20 rear). The RED SPORT 400 AWD features 20x9.0 wheels at all corners, mounted with 255/35R20 all-season performance tires. "
The 2017 AWD has "19-inch aluminum-alloy wheels with all-season tires" which we know to be run flats, so could the 2018.

·
Registered
189 Posts
:( :( :(

·
Registered
175 Posts
The bigger, non-RFT should definitely improve lateral grip...and the smash from a dig:

"The ultimate Q60, the RED SPORT 400, comes complete with staggered 20-inch aluminum-alloy wheels (20x9.0 front / 20x9.5 rear – rear-wheel drive models only) and summer performance tires (255/35R20 front / 275/30R20 rear). The RED SPORT 400 AWD features 20x9.0 wheels at all corners, mounted with 255/35R20 all-season performance tires. RED SPORT 400 models also feature red-painted brake calipers (front and rear), custom exhaust tips, red "S"exterior badging and, of course, 400 horsepower."

http://infinitinews.com/en-US/infiniti/usa/presskits/us-2018-infiniti-q60-press-kit

·
Registered
500 Posts
So far Infiniti along with Lexus are some of the car makers that impress me with factory wheel designs but as nice as it looks, I still see better offerings on an aftermarket level that complement the design better. They might be dumbing down design here to save themselves some effort on the IPL version.

·
Registered
148 Posts
slightly off topic.
the answer I'd like to know (I did search forums) - is the fact that run-flats are OEM on 2017 RS - is it legally binding? Will the warranty/insurance be void if non run-flat of correct size are installed?
I would appreciate definite answer that includes link to verified Infiniti approved document.
So far I am unable to find one and it starts to p1ss me off that many installers refuse to swap RF to NRFs
thank you

·
Registered
107 Posts
slightly off topic.
the answer I'd like to know (I did search forums) - is the fact that run-flats are OEM on 2017 RS - is it legally binding? Will the warranty/insurance be void if non run-flat of correct size are installed?
I would appreciate definite answer that includes link to verified Infiniti approved document.
So far I am unable to find one and it starts to p1ss me off that many installers refuse to swap RF to NRFs
thank you
Your not going to find a document about that. What warranty are you referring to? Infiniti will not void your warranty for using different tires. You can use what ever tires you like. Now if you purchased a 3rd party converge or warranty then that might require you to use certain brand/model but tires are a wear and tear user responsible item.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Your not going to find a document about that. What warranty are you referring to? Infiniti will not void your warranty for using different tires. You can use what ever tires you like. Now if you purchased a 3rd party converge or warranty then that might require you to use certain brand/model but tires are a wear and tear user responsible item.
Let me elaborate.

OEM is run flat which handles/reacts to punctures differently from run-flat - right? yes (no matter what anyone says)

next - non run flat that replaced OEM run-flat has blowout and someone gets killed/property damaged.

Car insurance refuses to pay since NON OEM part was used.

you get sued

I hope that is a simple example of WHY I am looking for legally binding explanation.

Oh, I know - I am that boring type that never paints headlight black....

·
Registered
148 Posts
Let me elaborate.

OEM is run flat which handles/reacts to punctures differently from run-flat - right? yes (no matter what anyone says)

next - non run flat that replaced OEM run-flat has blowout and someone gets killed/property damaged.

Car insurance refuses to pay since NON OEM part was used.

you get sued

I hope that is a simple example of WHY I am looking for legally binding explanation.

Oh, I know - I am that boring type that never paints headlight black....

Of course there is a "Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act that gives consumers rights to have the vehicle serviced at a business of their choice and the option to use aftermarket parts, meaning potentially money-saving alternatives to those that came on the car, while retaining the original warranty. The automaker is not allowed to void a warranty just because a nonfactory part is used"

But - car INSURANCE is a whole different story

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have never run into insurance not covering because tires where not OEM. No where in my policies or any that I have seen that won't cover if they are no OEM. Some policys might have that clause. But my understanding is that they will cover what's on the vehicle at time of claim. If you are curious, I would ask your agent.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
107 Posts
Been in the business 7 years. Many people don't get tires from the dealership, mostly due to cost and better quality options available thru other retailers.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Been in the business 7 years. Many people don't get tires from the dealership, mostly due to cost and better quality options available thru other retailers.

with all due respect - you are missing the point.
There is a difference between using after market parts that comply with OEM reqs and using DIFFERENT KIND OF TIRES.

run flats and non run flats are totally different animals.
Well - I guess it is all fine for most people until they have to deal with that and then most will complain how unfair rules are...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Correct and my argument is that insurance will replace what is on the vehicle, and not deny the claim if it is not OEM tire. I base this off my experince with past interactions with my customers and thier insurance compaines. Again, it can and probally does happend but I dont recall a case where it did.

Last year, we sold a Q70 Signature select and the customer filed a claim acter bending and scraping all 4 wheels. Insurance covered 4 tires and 4 wheels. Customer repaced tires with Continetal DWS as they where same price as the OEM (Bridgestone? cant recall oem right now). We submitted the quote to insurance and they sent the check. I was personaly involved with that claim and it was approved with no fuss from insruance company. Side note, customer saw value in extended tire and wheel protection at that point. Had a similar situation back when Q50 came out. The OEM runflats are known to not stand up to pot holes and road hazards. In that situation, customer poped 2 wheels and had a bubble in the side wall on a 3rd. Insruance replaced all 4 with non runflats. Different insurance company.

Again, might be best to check with your company. Now infiniti warranty would cover OEM only and i think we are both on the same page in thay regard correct?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Now that the 2018 Red Sports are appearing in dealerships, is there any confirmation on which wheels/tires come stock on these?

Thanks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
with all due respect - you are missing the point.
There is a difference between using after market parts that comply with OEM reqs and using DIFFERENT KIND OF TIRES.

run flats and non run flats are totally different animals.
Well - I guess it is all fine for most people until they have to deal with that and then most will complain how unfair rules are...
No offense, but this is a ridiculously anal retentive issue. There is no way that running nrfts will affect anything warranty or liability wise. The only way they could use that against you is if they expressly notified you in advance that nrfts would void warranty or expose you to legal liability due to some fictional change in handling. I am an injury attorney and I can tell you two things: That scenario is ridiculous and I have personally switched to nrfts and the handling is no different. Lol. Obviously, you have never driven the q60 with nrfts. It actually drives better in that it doesn’t pull or track on uneven roads.

·
Registered
148 Posts
No offense, but this is a ridiculously anal retentive issue. There is no way that running nrfts will affect anything warranty or liability wise. The only way they could use that against you is if they expressly notified you in advance that nrfts would void warranty or expose you to legal liability due to some fictional change in handling. I am an injury attorney and I can tell you two things: That scenario is ridiculous and I have personally switched to nrfts and the handling is no different. Lol. Obviously, you have never driven the q60 with nrfts. It actually drives better in that it doesn’t pull or track on uneven roads.
assumption is the mother of all trouble.
switched rf to nrf on my prior q50, and did the same on my q60rs.
specifically because of what you stated - no tramlining, better cornering, wet and cold traction and much better ride quality and no exploding sidewalls.
however - your answer provides no info on the topic whatsoever, but it is ok...
peace

1 - 19 of 19 Posts