Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard when an intake system will be available? Stillen does not have anything listed yet.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
Has anyone heard when an intake system will be available? Stillen does not have anything listed yet.
My dealership's service manager mentioned that intake and exhaust upgrades would be coming in, but didn't say when. Probably from NISMO

·
Registered
591 Posts
You can preorder for the STILLEN Q50 & Q60 3.0t Intake System now for $499.00. Worth it for a 18 rear wheel hp gain and 29 torque gain?

·
Registered
327 Posts
It'll be worth it when you combine everything together, ie. intake, exhaust, and tune. Then it'll be a component to a package that works out much better :) But is that 18whp with a tune already or on it's own from bolting it on ?

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
It'll be worth it when you combine everything together, ie. intake, exhaust, and tune. Then it'll be a component to a package that works out much better :) But is that 18whp with a tune already or on it's own from bolting it on ?

Just from the bolt-on...

·
Registered
25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
Stillen blog detailing the turbos, complete with compressor maps and discussion of turbo efficiency.
https://blog.stillen.com/2016/12/to-infiniti-beyond-analyzing-the-vr30ddtt-turbos/

Doesn't look good to me from a modding standpoint in terms of drivability and turbo longevity. I think Nissan knew exactly what they were doing when they basically gave the turbos no headroom for additional boost.
I had seen this previously and my opinion is the same as yours. Nissan left just the slightest bit of headroom so the turbo wasn't pushed past it's breaking point, but they didn't leave anything close to what they've done in previous turbo applications including the GTR. I also think they did this intentionally since all the info I've seen to date indicates the transmission will be the weakest link.

I have a feeling the higher output VR30TT they eventually come out with will have bigger snails and a 10speed transmission. In the meantime, we'll all find out the limits of the transmission and engine from the folks that decide to give up their warranty.

;)

·
Registered
479 Posts
I had seen this previously and my opinion is the same as yours. Nissan left just the slightest bit of headroom so the turbo wasn't pushed past it's breaking point, but they didn't leave anything close to what they've done in previous turbo applications including the GTR. I also think they did this intentionally since all the info I've seen to date indicates the transmission will be the weakest link.

I have a feeling the higher output VR30TT they eventually come out with will have bigger snails and a 10speed transmission. In the meantime, we'll all find out the limits of the transmission and engine from the folks that decide to give up their warranty.

;)
I agree that the higher output (black sport/IPL) will need a better transmission, but I am thinking it will be the DCT that is rumored to be coming in the new Z, as the Z/Q have always been very similar, including transmissions.

Seems like the Red Sport is topped out with the tranmission it has which seems to be verified by there being no headroom.

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
I agree that the higher output (black sport/IPL) will need a better transmission, but I am thinking it will be the DCT that is rumored to be coming in the new Z, as the Z/Q have always been very similar, including transmissions.

Seems like the Red Sport is topped out with the tranmission it has which seems to be verified by there being no headroom.
Part of me likes the idea of it being a DCT, part of me wishes they would just stick with a conventional torque converter automatic. The worst and best part (simultaneously) of the GTR is the DCT. If they have a DCT that is on par with PDK, then it will be fine but if it's anything close to the DCT of the GTR, then it will be problematic.

The other issue with DCTs is the cost. Automatic transmissions while expensive are much cheaper to replace.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Part of me likes the idea of it being a DCT, part of me wishes they would just stick with a conventional torque converter automatic. The worst and best part (simultaneously) of the GTR is the DCT. If they have a DCT that is on par with PDK, then it will be fine but if it's anything close to the DCT of the GTR, then it will be problematic.

The other issue with DCTs is the cost. Automatic transmissions while expensive are much cheaper to replace.
Definitely agree with you, but I think GTR DCT was developed quite a while ago and hasn't seen that many tweaks since then, so I would hope that Nissan/Infiniti has learned from it and would be able to make this DCT better and more refined. I only think it would be a DCT because if the new Z gets one, then they wouldn't just put it in that car, not cost efficient. Will be interesting to see what happens!

A DCT that can come close or match the PDK woujld be awesome!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Has anyone ever confirmed the 7AT is the same one used in the 2nd gen cars? I know there are two versions, one being able to handle 450ft.lbs of torque the other, as used in the G, far less.

But yeah, intake, full exhaust and a tune will definitely push the transmission to it's breaking point. The new Z, if they do indeed make it, is at least two years off.

If I were to go with a new Q60RS, it'd come down to choosing power or handling. Power will require the AWD model but as with the 2nd gen, there won't be much forthcoming in the suspension dept. The 2wd will obviously have substantial issues putting down more power but an aftermarket differential and higher end suspension will more than likely be available for it. A modded AWD will also stress the transmission more than the 2WD car. Either way, it's a compromise. I sort of feel like I'd be getting into the same situation I'm in with my current G. Live with the power or shell out a massive amount of cash.

I hate an imperfect world.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Stillen blog detailing the turbos, complete with compressor maps and discussion of turbo efficiency.
https://blog.stillen.com/2016/12/to-infiniti-beyond-analyzing-the-vr30ddtt-turbos/

Doesn't look good to me from a modding standpoint in terms of drivability and turbo longevity. I think Nissan knew exactly what they were doing when they basically gave the turbos no headroom for additional boost.
I'm sure we are going to make about 500rwhp in a couple of months or sooner with intake, down pipes, and tune. How can that not look good to you?

My dyno was 396rwhp at 14 psi on a safe tune and lower down pipes . I'm sure 5 more psi, intakes, upper down pipes, e85 and a better tune, 500 wheel should be capable.

I think stillen is getting to technical about things and they are known for doing things by the book and safe.

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
Has anyone ever confirmed the 7AT is the same one used in the 2nd gen cars? I know there are two versions, one being able to handle 450ft.lbs of torque the other, as used in the G, far less.

Here you go...from December and one of mine LOL - http://www.infinitiq60.org/forum/20...ion-forum/5161-infiniti-7at-transmission.html

Stillen confirmed it was the same 7AT transmission from the 3.7. Nissan elected to stick with the same transmission for both RS and Sport versions of the 3.0T. So there's a likelihood that transmissions will fail as the torque level gets pushed higher past it's 295 lb-ft design limit. The design limit doesn't always mean a hard stop real life limit.....but it usually translates to something pretty close.

It could be that Nissan felt it would be robust enough to meet the warranty needs (a lot of dealerships including mine offer free lifetime drivetrain warranty as long as the car is not modded so I'm not worried about the transmission since I won't be modding), or it could be Nissan already has plans in the pipeline to replace the transmission and the new one is still in the development/procurement phase (so not ready for launch with the 2017).

:)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm sure we are going to make about 500rwhp in a couple of months or sooner with intake, down pipes, and tune. How can that not look good to you?

My dyno was 396rwhp at 14 psi on a safe tune and lower down pipes . I'm sure 5 more psi, intakes, upper down pipes, e85 and a better tune, 500 wheel should be capable.

I think stillen is getting to technical about things and they are known for doing things by the book and safe.
There isn't another 5psi in the turbos (on the RS anyway) which was the point of their blog. That's the problem, no turbo headroom. I think guys are going to see a reliable number in the 440hp range with all the bolt-ons and a tune. Not bad, no, but it's a 3800 pound and change car with no LSD in the 2WD model (my personal preference given the basic nature of the AWD system). Maybe the bolt-on numbers (and more importantly feel) would be enough to sway me but its still a compromise.

Nice numbers though! What tune are you running? Has ECUtek or someone else cracked the ECU? That's sort of the other thing that's turning me back away from Nissan/Infiniti. If you look at what's available for the Audi/VW and BMW platforms (specifically Burger Tuning), the whole ECU overwrite/void your warranty thing is outdated.

·
Registered
359 Posts
My dealer said that the transmission in the Q50 RS is different than the one in the Q60 RS. Are we sure the Q60 isn't using the RE7R01B? Would I be able to see the model stamp if I get underneath my car?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
My dealer said that the transmission in the Q50 RS is different than the one in the Q60 RS. Are we sure the Q60 isn't using the RE7R01B? Would I be able to see the model stamp if I get underneath my car?
Don't know why it would be any different. Same engine, same wheelbase at 112.2 inches.

Reactions: testrage

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
To add to what Bevo said, the Q60 RS is such low volume that it would not be financially sound for Nissan to use a different transmission from the Q50 RS. The ECU could be programmed slightly different (since it's basically just a software flash) but I doubt even that was done.

After all, this is the same company that elected to keep the standard 2014+ Q50 interior set up/screens in a 2017 MY newly designed car. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts