Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks

I'm in the Los Angeles area, I'm retired and loving it.

My last car was expensive, to drive and maintain, and it only gets more expensive the older it gets. Quite a number of years ago I had a G37 and loved the car, always remembering it w/fondness.

A couple of years ago I went to the LA car show, sat in a Q60 which bought back memories, so when my last car started showing it age, I've decided to replace it w/a Q60.

I've read complaints that the car is no longer state of the art whatever that means, and I guess if you're a stickler on that issue than so be it, but I don't have a problem w/the car on that score.

I'm now in the process of picking out the car I want along w/the right deal and hope to be riding in it within the week.

·
Registered
2018, Q60 LUXE twin turbo
420 Posts
I wish you luck with getting the car you want. Are you buying it new or used? If it is used there is a post somewhere that you should have these things checked out or inspected before the purchase.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank U very much folks I appreciate it. I'm going to try a new one and start fresh, and since I'm retired, I think that's the best way to go. I'd hate inheriting other folks headaches.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport AWD
1,853 Posts
I've had my Q60S since December 2016. Still get complements on it to this day.

Good luck with your purchase, and share pics of your Q when you finally find the one you want.

·
Registered
457 Posts
What color are you looking for?

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
I've had my Q60S since December 2016. Still get compliments on it to this day.
Well, the way your car is set up - what's NOT to like ?!?
@MyQ60 - good luck finding the Q with your name on it !
~

Reactions: IridiumRS400

·
Registered
540 Posts
I was gonna get the Graphite Shadow but when I found the pure white with all those dark carbon fiber options, whoa sweet!!!! I saw the two on the lot and its was a no brainer!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just got home w/a 2022 Q60 Red Sport, w/a Graphite Shadow ext. and Monaco red seats. I'm bone tired so I'm going to get a fresh start tomorrow and take a few shots of the car.

The paint job, and the red seats look so much better in person. The metallic paint job,and refinement of the car overall impressed me. I spent hours at the dealership, and at one point was wandering around on the lot looking in/sitting several Benz and Porche rides, and I would say the Red Sport generally held it's own against some fancy rides.. All the materials in the car felt GOOD.

Some guy followed me for 10 miles on the freeway about 5 feet from my bumper no how many times I changed lanes, and I'm growling because I wanted to enjoy ONE night w/o the car getting torn up.

Tomorrow I'm going to get some leather conditioner, whatever's the latest for the dash and doors, and some Mother's California Gold for the exterior, at least for starters.

The saleman I had was a very laidback non-pressure guy, and so it was a feelgood experience at the dealership getting the care.

Well here I go.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport AWD
1,853 Posts
Just got home w/a 2022 Q60 Red Sport, w/a Graphite Shadow ext. and Monaco red seats. I'm bone tired so I'm going to get a fresh start tomorrow and take a few shots of the car.

Well here I go.
Awesome news! Congrats on the Graphite & Monaco combination - good choice. Looking forward to the pics.

Note: Depending on how long you plan to keep your Q, if it will span a few years, a good investment is XPEL Clear Bra and Ceramic Paint Protection. My Q is clear-bra'd from the front to the "B" pillar, and also the rear quarter in front of the rear wheel. I also have XPEL Fusion Plus Ceramic Coating - makes hand-washing & drying my Q a breeze, and no more waxing!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
What kind of cash outlay will it take for that kind of protection? I plan on keeping the car so I'd be interested in long term protection. If I have it done, I'm just outside of Los Angeles in Redondo Beach and so I'll have to track down somebody who'll do it for a reasonable amount of money whatever that is.

I'd have to defer to you folks in terms of what you think is a reasoable price, for the folks that know what they're doing. Is there somebody in Southern California that is a "GO TO" outfit for this kind of work?

i went on the XPEL and found an outfit called Bulletproof Automotive in Torrance which is close to me, but again I'd defer to the folks here for a "GO TO' outift

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update: Forgive me, I seemed to have asked this question too soon, because after some due diligence/research around here I found some relevant info here...

Future Q60 RS owner ? | Infiniti Q60 Forums

$2500 is a lot of money (at least for me), but I certainly don't mind paying that eventually if that's what it takes to preserve the original factory paintjob which is usually the best paintjob you get coming off the lot on a new car.

I'm glad I found this venue, and I appreciate the warm welcome I got, and I figure I've already gotten some money saving advice from listening to the folks around here.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
I can relate to your hesitancy to do a total body wrap because of the cost factor. Four years ago I only had the front bumper done ("ClearGuard Nano SR") and it still cost me almost $900 up here in NorCal. The front hood would have run another $800 but I chose to pass on that. In retrospect, I should have done that also as my hood has various little nicks in it now. So, though a complete wrap is best, protecting at least the front bumper (and hood) is helpful and easier on the wallet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I have a great deal to catch up on.

While I am, there's a big park near me, The park is encircled by huge overhanging trees wherever you choose to park. I'm going to do like I did as a kid, and park the car under a nice tree, and detail the interior/wax the car. Its summer, I figure some nice shade, at the park, polishing her up will end up being quite relaxing.

Meanwhile I'll keep reading up on this becuase I'd like to eventually do it.

I haven't bought a new/any car in yrs. and what brought me back memories of my G37 was driving this car home from the dealership and I COULDN'T get my mind off of getting my 1st DINK. Had to run some errands yesterday including getting some leather conditioner and vinyl treatment. Drove to the back row of a huge parking lot behind the store.. NOT ONE car was parked along the back row.

Come out of the store, and a rustbucket was parked next to my car with only the rustbucket and my car parked on the back row. ALL the room to park anywhere in the parking lot, and he parks next to me.

I went over the car for a couple minutes to make sure that I didn't have a dink.. Had to be careful not to open door too wide when I got in, that's how close his truck was, go figure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I went to a nearby park whose parking spaces are shaded by large trees. It's a beautiful park full of families w/kids, basketball and tennis courts, along w/any number of folks who just want to relax outside in this kind of friendly atmosphere. As soon as I arrived at the park, it filled up, and I was lucky to get a parking space shaded by a humongous "weeping willow". I waxed the car first w/very soft carnuba wax which is very easy to apply and easy to polish up. Took me about 2 hrs.

One gentleman walked by in shock that I was waxing my car. "Old school huh", I said yes. He said "good looking car". About 6 folks took the time and effort to stop briefly and compliment me about the car.

What I find interesting about the Q60 (at least to me) is that it looks better the closer you are to it. It took me another 1 1/2 to detail the interior. It was relaxing.

I've got some decisions to make. I've laid down a big chunk of change, so I'll have to decide in the "here and now" whether it's the wheels I want for this car or the body wrap.

One or the other will have to wait, but for right now the paint job at least has something on it.

There's an alley adjacent the park and I wheeled the car into the alley and took a quick couple of shots of the car after I was finished.

I love the car, to the extent that if someone gave me some more money to buy another big name brand, I'd stick w/this car.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport AWD
1,853 Posts
$2500 is a lot of money (at least for me), but I certainly don't mind paying that eventually if that's what it takes to preserve the original factory paintjob which is usually the best paintjob you get coming off the lot on a new car.
The clear bra protection on the dark metallics like Graphite Shadow, Iridium Blue, and Majestic Black are almost mandatory, to prevent the small rock chips from creating white specs on the surface over time. I learned my lesson with my now-sold '15 Audi Allroad Brilliant Black paint - no clear bra, and the leading edges were peppered with stone chips, despite my best efforts to not ride behind dump trucks, or buses in the winter (they are grit hoovers when travelling down the road), etc.

You'll thank me later when your $60k purchase still looks new, years down the road...

·
Registered
96 Posts
The clear bra protection on the dark metallics like Graphite Shadow, Iridium Blue, and Majestic Black are almost mandatory, to prevent the small rock chips from creating white specs on the surface over time.
I totally agree. As a side note, white Qs end up with dark gray spots. Unfortunately, Ive found the the Q's paint to be a bit on the thin/soft side. Seems like it doesnt take a whole lot to chip the paint. I have clear vinyl on the front, hood, headlights, a pillars, and mirrors. I opted not to do the front fenders. I have 3 chips in the fenders in about 30,000 miles.

Also friendly advice. Set one of the memory seat settings to all the way back and use it whenever getting in and out of the car. With the bolsters being so aggressive in our cars, its super easy to rub them. I have the Monico red interior as does my best friend. We have both had issues. I dont know if they have improved the dye since the 2017 model. but I had my seat covers replaced more than 1/2 dozen times (no exaggeration) under warranty due to white spots forming from the dye getting rubbed off. Now that its out of warranty, I have a bottle of dye and touch up the spots that form with a dab from a Q-tip.

Here is an older thread regarding the red seats. (1) Red Leather Seat Issue(s) | Infiniti Q60 Forums

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I've been searching. There's an Xpel 8 mil adhesive backed wrap, is this the "clear bra" that's being discussed. Then there's the ceramic covering, I'm still not clear on the ultimate protection difference between the two.

I've seen estimates re protection for 10 years being thrown around, really?? I'd love this to be true, but what I'd like bottom line is something that would last me at least five yrs. w/the required upkeep.

My feeling as I'm absorbing all this is that I'd want to just get it over with and do the whole car when I do it.

I couldn't resist attempting to track down and getting a look at the actual material, so this is what I came up with.

Is this the real deal??

60" x 60" XPEL Ultimate Plus Paint Protection Film PPF Clear Bra Bulk Roll | eBay

Also, is what he's doing in this video, a viable automotive application?

Ceramic Coating in Colorado Springs (proautospa.com)

Scrolling down from the top of the page to the video.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts