Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for all of you. I was curious if it’s possible to install a catback exhaust, and pair it with the infiniti helmholtz axelback? Specifically I am looking at the aFe as I enjoy it’s sound and has resonators included. My thinking would be that i currently have a helmholtz axelback and would then have another set of resonators (two pairs, one on the catback one on the helmholtz) to keep drone to a minimum. Do any of you know if it’s possible, or if this would even be worth my time? I would also have to see if the coupling between the aFe Catback would line up with the Helmholtz

I am also thinking of adding LDPs at some point but that doesn’t play into the question at hand.

Cheers!

·
Registered
481 Posts
I don't know if the coupler's would line up between the two. The better questions is: if you like the sound of the aFe catback, why not just use that? Swapping out their mufflers for the helmholtz resonators would certainly change the sound profile.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know if the coupler's would line up between the two. The better questions is: if you like the sound of the aFe catback, why not just use that? Swapping out their mufflers for the helmholtz resonators would certainly change the sound profile.
The car at that point technically would have 2 sets of resonators versus the single pair of the aFe. but i’m unsure if that would actually do anything to reduce drone further.

·
Administrator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
4,325 Posts
but i’m unsure if that would actually do anything to reduce drone further.
Since the Helmholtz is not tuned to the system you're trying to use, you might not get the effect you desire.

Reactions: Queue60RS

·
Registered
2018 Q60 Red Sport AWD
11 Posts
Question for all of you. I was curious if it’s possible to install a catback exhaust, and pair it with the infiniti helmholtz axelback? Specifically I am looking at the aFe as I enjoy it’s sound and has resonators included. My thinking would be that i currently have a helmholtz axelback and would then have another set of resonators (two pairs, one on the catback one on the helmholtz) to keep drone to a minimum. Do any of you know if it’s possible, or if this would even be worth my time? I would also have to see if the coupling between the aFe Catback would line up with the Helmholtz

I am also thinking of adding LDPs at some point but that doesn’t play into the question at hand.

Cheers!
YES, you can! This is the exact same set up I have on my Q60, aFe Y & Mid Pipe combo w/ 18” aFe resonators paired to the Infiniti Helmholtz. I now have resonated LDP’s from AAM Competition & love the way it sounds, tame when cruising & a nice refined loud growl when I step on it! I have always enjoyed the tone of the Infiniti Helmholtz & wanted to implement it into a full exhaust system. No fitment issues besides making the minor adjustment on the passenger side hinge/hanger for the axle back part of the exhaust. I love the way it sounds & performs, nicer then vs other more expensive exhaust systems IMO.

Originally wanted to opt for a Fast Intentions exhaust but lead time was crazy long during Covid & actually glad I didn’t go that route as this system sounds better!

Other notable exhaust systems:

AAM Competition
Ark
Motordyne

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
YES, you can! This is the exact same set up I have on my Q60, aFe Y & Mid Pipe combo w/ 18” aFe resonators paired to the Infiniti Helmholtz. I now have resonated LDP’s from AAM Competition & love the way it sounds, tame when cruising & a nice refined loud growl when I step on it! I have always enjoyed the tone of the Infiniti Helmholtz & wanted to implement it into a full exhaust system. No fitment issues besides making the minor adjustment on the passenger side hinge/hanger for the axle back part of the exhaust. I love the way it sounds & performs, nicer then vs other more expensive exhaust systems IMO.

Originally wanted to opt for a Fast Intentions exhaust but lead time was crazy long during Covid & actually glad I didn’t go that route as this system sounds better!

AAM Competition
Ark
Motordyne
Amazing! Thank you for your response! Do you have any videos of the full setup in action? The only two aFe videos on youtube are so short. Your setup is exactly what I envision so would love to hear some pulls and revs! Thank you again 🙏

·
Registered
2018 Q60 Red Sport AWD
11 Posts
Amazing! Thank you for your response! Do you have any videos of the full setup in action? The only two aFe videos on youtube are so short. Your setup is exactly what I envision so would love to hear some pulls and revs! Thank you again 🙏
Here is my Instagram/IG Handle: @myq60rs

I have a few videos on there, very early on the set up without LDP's so you can get an idea how it somewhat sounds w/ a few rev's. I might be able to take some more videos & send them privaletly lol!

Cheers, you are going to love the exhaust system!

·
Premium Member
76 Posts

AAM Competition
Ark
Motordyne
Where did you source your aFe mid pipes setup?

Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts