Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First off my Q60RS doesn't have the tech pack so no Advanced Climate Control System (ACCS).

So I've noticed that my AC has been automatically turning off my air recirculation and switching to vent on its own. I notice this when I smell other car's exhaust in the cabin and look down and see that the recirulation button light is off. I press it to turn back on but eventually (about 15-20 minutes after turning it on) it turns back off and we're back to vent. I've gone thru the manuals and I can't find anything about the air recirculation automatically turning off after a set amount of time or under certain conditions. I'm probably missing something but is this just a normal feature that Infiniti doesn't feel warrants an explanation? Anyone else see this in their Q60? And please don't tell me stupid things like "it prevents methane gas buildup in the cabin", that's just ridiculous.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
So one thing the climate control is doing, is turning off the A/C compressor and switching to vent, after you have manually selected that the A/C be on?

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry I used the moniker AC for climate control in general. It's winter so I'm not using Air Conditioning to cool the cabin so A/C is off. Even still tho, why would climate control need to switch to vent for anything? My G37S didn't act this way so it's rather new to me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Maybe, the partnership of Nissan and Daimler is starting to show where the platforms have been shared? (from major components to the tiniest of code setups).

Because my dad's (Mercedes) GLC 250 has the same procedure of switching from internal air circulation to outside air circulation with nothing fiddled on the temperature controls.
By default, when the car starts, we have to switch on the internal air circulation...
And it has no single pattern to follow, except maybe how you drive? Sometimes, it is on for 30 to 45 mins and sometimes it last 10-15 mins.
We even checked with the dealer and learned it is completely normal... with the reason of the entire setup is to avoid overheating! (overheating of the turbo?)

However, I could be wrong with my Nissan and Daimler link theory! :p

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm sure Infiniti would say something along those lines. But if something turns off auto-magically after I've explicitly wasted the energy to lean over and press the stupid fucking button to turn it on, they best write that down in the **** manual! If anyone else sees this little pearl of an anomaly please let me know so I can feel less alone on this. I think I'm gonna do a bit of testing with it over the weekend to see if I can find a rhyme to the reason for its occurence.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
I'm sure Infiniti would say something along those lines. But if something turns off auto-magically after I've explicitly wasted the energy to lean over and press the stupid fucking button to turn it on, they best write that down in the **** manual! If anyone else sees this little pearl of an anomaly please let me know so I can feel less alone on this. I think I'm gonna do a bit of testing with it over the weekend to see if I can find a rhyme to the reason for its occurence.
If the A/C compressor is turned off and you're recirculating cabin air then moisture can build up. That's probably the reason it switches to outside air.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the A/C compressor is turned off and you're recirculating cabin air then moisture can build up. That's probably the reason it switches to outside air.
It doesn't matter if the A/C compressor is turned on or off, because it still turns off air recirculation when it feels like it from what I found. I'm sure you're right about it being for moisture control, but again it's not written anywhere and I find it annoying as ****. Regardless, in all my other cars I've never found 'cabin moisture buildup' to be a real problem I have to combat so vigorously that it begs the need for automation!

In fact I think you're exactly spot on with this Bevo, since it seems that it turns off 'less often' when the temperature in-cabin is set to match outdoor temps, thus reinforcing the theory of minimizing moisture. Still a stupid feature tho....

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
It doesn't matter if the A/C compressor is turned on or off, because it still turns off air recirculation when it feels like it from what I found. I'm sure you're right about it being for moisture control, but again it's not written anywhere and I find it annoying as ****. Regardless, in all my other cars I've never found 'cabin moisture buildup' to be a real problem I have to combat so vigorously that it begs the need for automation!

In fact I think you're exactly spot on with this Bevo, since it seems that it turns off 'less often' when the temperature in-cabin is set to match outdoor temps, thus reinforcing the theory of minimizing moisture. Still a stupid feature tho....
I guess if the car determines you don't need maximum cooling then it turns off re-circulation. I haven't really used the A/C enough to recreate what you have described.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess if the car determines you don't need maximum cooling then it turns off re-circulation. I haven't really used the A/C enough to recreate what you have described.
It does this on both cooling and heating.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
It does this on both cooling and heating.
I've never set a car to recirculate when I'm using the heater and I don't I don't think most cars will let you recirculate with defrost.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've never set a car to recirculate when I'm using the heater and I don't I don't think most cars will let you recirculate with defrost.
Well I've always set a car to recirculate when I'm using the heater. Defrost isn't the topic here but yes, defrost disengages recirculation on most cars.

I called up my buddy who's got a 2014 Q50 and he said his does the same thing typically when the temperature difference between outside and inside is large, so recirc cuts out after temperature is met. He said in the summer it seems to almost always keep recirc on which would back since cause it's harder to keep the cabin cool rather that warm. I just wish they'd document this feature just a bit better.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
Yup, these automatic climate controls give you less control.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am pretty sure you need to have the AC on to get it to recirculate. Not on, as in cooling, but just on so that the air recirculates through the filter system.

·
Registered
430 Posts
LoganB -- I do have the Tech Package but I have not seen it turning off the re-circulation. I keep it on re-circulation always since I live inthe Washington DC Metro area and hate fumes coming at me at traffic light stops. I like many of us, I am still trying to figure out the many nuances. Like how or can I turn off the A/C but alow all other climate controals to function like I could in my G35 Coupe? Heck I learn Q60 operational stuff and then forget LOL like couldn't get Cruise Control on today grrrr.

Maybe we can start a thread and our Administrator can have an Infiniti Rep to answer some of these type of questions?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm late seeing this thread, but virtually all vehicles today only allow the recirculation setting to stay on for a limited time before switching back to outside air. However, in most of them if you press and hold the recirc switch, it will stay that way, but I haven't tried it in the Q60.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
LoganB -- I do have the Tech Package but I have not seen it turning off the re-circulation. I keep it on re-circulation always since I live inthe Washington DC Metro area and hate fumes coming at me at traffic light stops. I like many of us, I am still trying to figure out the many nuances. Like how or can I turn off the A/C but alow all other climate controals to function like I could in my G35 Coupe? Heck I learn Q60 operational stuff and then forget LOL like couldn't get Cruise Control on today grrrr.

Maybe we can start a thread and our Administrator can have an Infiniti Rep to answer some of these type of questions?
Sometimes the A/C comes on because of the temp setting even though it doesn't display as being on. To make sure it's off, select A/C on the touch screen, and then de-select it. The cruise control button is on the right side of the steering wheel.

Reactions: Garnoch
1 - 16 of 16 Posts