Infiniti Q60 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Q60 RS400 AWD, AMS Ecutek Tune, AMS FDP, AMS HE, AMS Auxiliary Tank, Invidia Gemini CBE, Stillen CAI, Add W1 V3.3 OCC and rolling with staggered 20s Verde V99 Axis wrap in Michelin AS/3 Plus

·
Registered
154 Posts
Well ****, another thing to buy for fuel upgrades now. :cautious:

·
Super Moderator
2,894 Posts
That's why I shy away from modifying my cars and motorcycles. There's almost always a side effect. If you want a 500+ HP car or 200+ HP motorcycle, then buy a 500+ HP car or 200+ HP motorcycle.

Reactions: WShade

·
Registered
839 Posts
That's why I shy away from modifying my cars and motorcycles.
Yes, modding is always a risk. However, it appears the issue with the fuel rail is related to the internal coating of the fuel rails, and the material is breaking-down and contaminating the fuel injectors, which causes them to malfunction/stick. This can happen with totally stock OR tuned VR30s, running pump gas OR ethanol blends.

Now, does running ethanol blends exacerbate the problem with the internal coatings? Perhaps. Ethanol in itself is not corrosive, however, Ethanol attracts water. When the two get together, they create the perfect environment to grow a type of bacteria called acetobacter. The acetobacter then excrete acetic acid. And acetic acid is very corrosive.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I agree. Today's cars you have to modify and tune with a computer.

This was something I could work on to my hearts content.
True, thankfully, if I had to, I could still set the dwell & timing on an engine w/points, as I'm part of GenX that still likes to get my hands dirty with wrenchin'. However, my 28 y/o nephew would have no clue how to do that, nor even care about tuning a modern engine with an ECM. Nah, he owns a Tesla Model S, and his younger sister owns a Model 3.

How'd he come to own Teslas at such a young age, you ask? He simply cashed-in some of his Bitcoin earnings that he first mined in the early 2010s, bought the Tesla Model S & Model 3, and called it a day. Kids these days... ;)

Reactions: DAV4COOL

·
Super Moderator
2,894 Posts
However, it appears the issue with the fuel rail is related to the internal coating of the fuel rails, and the material is breaking-down and contaminating the fuel injectors, which causes them to malfunction/stick.
I'd like to see the TSB they're referring to. I've had my Q since Dec. 2016. It has less than 24K on the clock so it spends a lot of time sitting in a garage in the high humidity of Houston. Seems I should have the perfect storm for fuel system failure due to ethanol.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Speaking of injectors, AMS Performance just released this announcement on their FB page:

Available 08.13.20 at 11 AM CST! AMS Performance is excited to introduce the Red Alpha VR30DDTT Injectors! The limitations of the factory injectors become evident even at relatively lower horsepower numbers, especially when using ethanol based fuels like e85. We recognized early on in our development of the Infiniti Q50 and Q60 platforms with the VR30 engine that we would need to provide more fuel to support more power. Working together with an industry leader in fuel system technology, Nostrum High Performance, on the development of this component is the reason our customers know that they can rely on the Red Alpha Kinetic Direct Injectors to be the best built, best performing on the market. 6 Red Alpha VR30 Injector Upgrade MSRP: $1769.95

If I upgraded to these Kinetic Injectors, I would also replace the fuel rails, too.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Speaking of injectors, AMS Performance just released this announcement on their FB page:

Available 08.13.20 at 11 AM CST! AMS Performance is excited to introduce the Red Alpha VR30DDTT Injectors! The limitations of the factory injectors become evident even at relatively lower horsepower numbers, especially when using ethanol based fuels like e85. We recognized early on in our development of the Infiniti Q50 and Q60 platforms with the VR30 engine that we would need to provide more fuel to support more power. Working together with an industry leader in fuel system technology, Nostrum High Performance, on the development of this component is the reason our customers know that they can rely on the Red Alpha Kinetic Direct Injectors to be the best built, best performing on the market. 6 Red Alpha VR30 Injector Upgrade MSRP: $1769.95

If I upgraded to these Kinetic Injectors, I would also replace the fuel rails, too.
Ouch, that is steep but they will still sell out quick.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Was there anyone else here that was supposed to be on "the list" for these but never heard a peep from AMS before they put them on the store and they sold out?

·
Registered
839 Posts
Was there anyone else here that was supposed to be on "the list" for these but never heard a peep from AMS before they put them on the store and they sold out?
In you are on their email subscription, I got a notification that they were getting released on the 13th. However, I'm not yet ready to upgrade (yet). It's likely a majority of the 1st production batch went to the AMS shop themselves, CZP, Z1, and a bunch of tuners, i.e., wholesalers.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Received the complete Fuel System today. LPFP, FF Kit, RA338 HPFP, Rails and Injectors.

Can't wait for the install and retune.

Q60 RS400 AWD, AMS Ecutek Tune, AMS FDP, AMS HE, AMS Auxiliary Tank, Invidia Gemini CBE, Stillen CAI, Add W1 V3.3 OCC and rolling with staggered 20s Verde V99 Axis wrap in Michelin AS/3 Plus

Reactions: JakeFromLI

·
Registered
154 Posts
How did you order your injectors? My sales guy was supposed to call so I could pay and then no call. :mad:

Received the complete Fuel System today. LPFP, FF Kit, RA338 HPFP, Rails and Injectors.

Can't wait for the install and retune.

·
Registered
154 Posts
In you are on their email subscription, I got a notification that they were getting released on the 13th. However, I'm not yet ready to upgrade (yet). It's likely a majority of the 1st production batch went to the AMS shop themselves, CZP, Z1, and a bunch of tuners, i.e., wholesalers.
I get the emails but I also signed up to be on a kind of pre-order list. AMS was supposed to call the people on the list and see if they still wanted injectors and if they did they got first shot to buy them before they went on the website. I have a feeling this did not go the way it was supposed to go.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How did you order your injectors? My sales guy was supposed to call so I could pay and then no call. :mad:
I didn't wait for their call...I called my sales rep at 11:01 am CT. =)

·
Registered
154 Posts
I didn't wait for their call...I called my sales rep at 11:01 am CT. =)

Glad you got them but that sucks for me. I was really looking forward to upgrading my fuel system and getting a re-tune. It would have been an easy $6K sale for AMS but I didnt get the call.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I get the emails but I also signed up to be on a kind of pre-order list. AMS was supposed to call the people on the list and see if they still wanted injectors and if they did they got first shot to buy them before they went on the website. I have a feeling this did not go the way it was supposed to go.
The first posting on the website was password-protected to the first individuals on the pre-purchase list. I highly suspect that the pre-purchase list was much greater than the first batch supply based on the number of individuals I heard reporting being on the list. The first batch was already called for before being posted online.

Reactions: JakeFromLI

·
Registered
839 Posts
We should get the Chinese to reverse-engineer it for 1/2 the cost.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We should get the Chinese to reverse-engineer it for 1/2 the cost.
This is how China became super power country...stealing IPs.

We need to support Made In The USA.

·
Registered
839 Posts
This is how China became super power country...stealing IPs.

We need to support Made In The USA.
No worries... take my statement with a load of sarcasm ;)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts