Infiniti Q60 Forums banner

AMS Performance/Alpha Q60 Tune now for sale

32K views 48 replies 20 participants last post by  Smooth 
#1 ·
It looks like the AMS Performance website is now selling the performance tune for the Q60 for $1050.

https://www.amsperformance.com/prod...-q50-aftermarket-mods-alpha-performance.html/

See attached Dyno below:

I am assuming that since this is claimed to be a collaboration between Infiniti and AMS Performance, it has the tacit approval of Infiniti and it will not void the warranty?

Also on this website, other items are listed as future products that are in development including intercoolers, intakes, down pipes, etc but the tune is the only one that can be presently purchased.

Obviously $1050 is a bit pricey but if my assumption is correct that it won't void the warranty, it may just be worth it.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
It doesn't have Infiniti's stamp of approval yet. From my understanding, until you see the parts appear in the Infiniti eStore, assume it could possibly void your warranty. I'm sure there are others on this forum who could provide a more authoritative answer. Just my 2 cents.

#5 · (Edited)
#6 ·
#8 ·
Yeah I was curious about that too. With down pipes, without down pipes, cold air intake, without cold air intake, and everything in between. I was going to email them with the questions. I assume it is a remote tune but not all tunes are specific to all vehicles for the reasons I mentioned so I was curious how that all worked, per customer.

#9 ·
I'm curious about this as well. I've had one other e-tune and by logging runs they were able to customize it to some extent. I"m in Toronto Canada and am contemplating a tune (if for no other reason than the get throttle override...but i mean also because of the power, though i have jb4 right now which is good for power).

#21 ·
A lot of businesses are afraid of liability so they just refuse to provide certain services. Many motorcycle shops won't patch tires even though the owner's manual states that tires can be repaired. They'd just rather sell you a new tire. They also won't install any part that wasn't purchased or ordered through them.

#23 ·
It looks like the AMS Performance website is now selling the performance tune for the Q60 for $1050.

https://www.amsperformance.com/prod...-q50-aftermarket-mods-alpha-performance.html/

See attached Dyno below:

I am assuming that since this is claimed to be a collaboration between Infiniti and AMS Performance, it has the tacit approval of Infiniti and it will not void the warranty?

Also on this website, other items are listed as future products that are in development including intercoolers, intakes, down pipes, etc but the tune is the only one that can be presently purchased.

Obviously $1050 is a bit pricey but if my assumption is correct that it won't void the warranty, it may just be worth it.
While a bit pricey, there is some peace of mind that comes with using AMS: it is well noted the partnership being built between them and Infiniti. With such a partnership, anyone with a slightly know how on how this stuff work can likely assume AMS has the upper hand over other tuners as they will have better access to proprietary information rather than having to reverse engineer it. Better starting ground.

Plus, like Z1 Motorsports, AMS has a solidly built reputation. They're not new to the game.

I was looking at this dyno sheet (late in this thread) and really like what the did with the torque. Even though less in max than the original tune, they're hitting peak torque quickly and staying their for quite a while rather than having to build up to it, touch it, and drop it.

A lot of businesses are afraid of liability so they just refuse to provide certain services. Many motorcycle shops won't patch tires even though the owner's manual states that tires can be repaired. They'd just rather sell you a new tire. They also won't install any part that wasn't purchased or ordered through them.
Perfect analogy. Very true.

I don't suppose you might have some rough estimate when that fruit may come to bear?

I've had the car for one year now and I'm josening for a tune. I don't track it and I don't beat it up or even drive it everyday but I sure would like to give it a little more now.
Unfortunately, no. I wouldn't know who to ask, honestly. Nismo is only on the front of parts, not really working with dealerships. My assumption is this will take awhile considering all that goes into it. Infiniti has to be willing to set parameters on what they'll except. Then, there's other logistics: will there be an onsite tuner, outsourced to local shops, a dyno, would there be factory-led training courses on how to tune, etc.

My belief is once it's hammered out, it'll lay the groundwork for a long future partnership where AMS may become synonymous with Infiniti, like Shelby is with Mustang.

#25 ·
The drive mode selector just changes steering, suspension, traction control, and throttle response. It doesn't have any real control over boost, valve timing, etc.. So there should be no difference really with the drive mode selector (i.e. you'll still have to mash the pedal harder to get to full throttle in Standard than you will in Red Sport).

#30 ·
Is anyone actually running this? I'm debating this, AMS HE, Infiniti Performance axle-back and calling it a day on the car.

I'd like to see some 3rd party reviews/dynos.

I'm getting it I'm working out details with them now. I have to get my hardware installed first, like the down pipes that have been sitting on my bench for, oh, about 8 months now. I'll offer a review when completed but don't wait on me.

Anyone want a Stillen intake? Sell it to you real cheap.

#33 ·
New member here.
I chatted with InifintiUSA Consumer Affairs last night about this very topic. Their response was if the mod broke it, it's not under warranty. Seems reasonable. I asked if the burden would be on Infiniti to prove the mod broke it. The answer was "Yes". Seems reasonable.

#34 ·
I've taken the plunge on this Alpha Q60 Tune for my wife's new Luxe. Work is underway on the heat exchanger and calibration should begin tomorrow. I'll post on her experience once we get it back here to Pittsburgh.

#35 ·
I hope I don't have to worry about the warranty and the AMS tune. My purchase was a little unusual. I live in Pittsburgh but purchased my wife's Q60 Luxe in Barrington, IL about 19 miles from AMS. The dealership had that 800hp Red Alpha beast on display not too long ago. This will be my wife's daily car. She won't be racing or abusing it, just the occasional getting away from the persistent tailgaters.

#36 ·
Day 1 impressions:

My wife's 2018 Q60 3.0T Luxe AWD arrived today from Chicago. The car went directly from the dealership in Barrington to AMS for the upgraded heat exchanger and ECU calibration. I had it trailered home from the dealership after the tune. My concerns about the drivability of the car after the tune have been laid to rest. It is very well behaved on back roads and through housing plans. It starts immediately and idles very smoothly. I think the only time the RPM's went above 2,000 today were for a brief minute when merging onto the interstate. Between 2 - 3,000RPM's the pull was very impressive. At this point I would highly recommend it to others considering an upgrade to their 300hp 3.0T.

Reactions: Bevo
#44 ·
is q60 Red Sports worth $4k for dyno and ams upgrades?

I know the sport version and non sport version gain a lot from dyno tuning. I have no clue about the red sports. I am thinking of dyno tuning it and replace it with ams intakes, heat exchangers and downpipe all for 4k with install and tuning. Is it worth it, i've read that the gain is not that much. I got the 18 q60 rs(full option) for a really good price last september, I already spent a lot on the car just cosmetics though, chrome delete, carbon fiber stuff and helmholtz. now summer is near I'm thinking twice about the tuning. is it worth? any rs owners?thanks.

#45 ·
I know the sport version and non sport version gain a lot from dyno tuning. I have no clue about the red sports. I am thinking of dyno tuning it and replace it with ams intakes, heat exchangers and downpipe all for 4k with install and tuning. Is it worth it, i've read that the gain is not that much. I got the 18 q60 rs(full option) for a really good price last september...
Skip the AMS Intakes until you get tuned. Invest in LDPs, CBE, and a BT JB4. After that, you can get the HE, which allows repeated higher boost w/o heat soak concerns.

I rode around with the above setup for over a year, before I upgraded to an Ecutek tune, Full (Catted) DPs, and AMS Intakes. BTW, the intakes get ya 10-15 hp (when tuned) over the stock intakes, which are very good as-designed.

You should also work on the unsprung weight, i.e., brakes, wheels, and tires. The Z1 2-piece rotors save 10 lbs/front corner and 5 lbs/rear corner over stock. In addition, I've seen #'s like 60+ lbs/corner for the Red Sport wheels & Dumflats combination. Aftermarket wheels can be had for $600 each that weigh-in @ 21-23 lbs for a 19" wheel, and 24-28 lbs for a 19" tire (regular & RF), which will save another 10 lbs/corner. Better handing, steering, acceleration, and braking will be the result.

Note: I dyno'd my setup (see signature) last Fall on an AWD DynoJet dyno - 437 WHP & 502 WTQ.

#48 ·
Quick update on my wife's (now my) 2018 Q60 AWD Luxe with AMS Tune. It's been a little over 3 years and 30,000 miles and the car still runs like a beast. No issues with having it tuned with just 6 miles on it.
4 years and 40,000 miles on my 2018 Q60 AWD Luxe with AMS Tune. Still running great. No issues with having it tuned at AMS with just 6 miles on it. I did have to replace brakes and tires so far.

#49 ·
Quick update on my experience with the AMS tune. A little over 5 years and 54,000 miles since the AMS Tune & Heat Exchanger. Still running great. No issues with having it tuned at AMS with just 6 miles on it. The check engine light did come on at around 52K miles. Followed a YouTube video to clear the codes and they haven't came back since. I replaced the gas cap as a precaution.