Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All. Do you guys install anti-theft systems in ur Q60?
There're two car break-in just a few feet away from my car. Amazon sells anti-theft GPS from $30. Are those devices reliable?
Thanks for any advice!

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
Only a locked garage will keep your car from being broken into.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Are you talking about people stealing stuff out of your car, or stealing your entire car?

·
Registered
327 Posts
I would think the entire car if he's looking towards the GPS perhaps? I really gave up with anti-theft devices though, if they really want it, they'll take it.

·
Registered
500 Posts
The entire car. I won't leave anything on the seat..
In that case starting with obvious things that stand out to them will help, Steering wheel lock is one of them. You can never stop a determined thief but you can discourage some of them though methods like that. $40 on average for them.

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
The entire car. I won't leave anything on the seat..
Aftermarket alarm systems may help and can be useful (especially the ones that notify you if someone messes with your car). That said, they can be hyper sensitive or go off for no reason sometimes leading to situations where you might ignore them.

It sounds like what you need is a good ol' fashioned kill switch. Preferably one set up in such a place where a thief would never look. Or you could try something like the "Ravelco" system (I have no experience with one and no idea how well it works but had been considering it at one time for the GTR)
Ravelco Anti Theft Device

Thing to keep in mind though is that some burglars may decide to take their frustrations out on the car in the event they are unable to "steal" the car..

Rhetorical question - if you have your car, but insurance has to pay 50% of its value to fix it, would it have been better if the car had been stolen instead?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Luxury cars these days are practically impossible to hotwire/start without a key, too much electronic control systems that have to be enabled with the key. If you're going to steal any sort of luxury car these days you generally have to do it with a tow truck or a flat bed and cart it off to be torn down for parts since even at the garages there's no easy way to get them running to sell whole. So to prevent your car being lifted off the ground and taken to a remote location you need to be able to physically secure it, like in a garage. Any of those cheap amazon car alarms aren't going to buy you much over what the car already has for the normal method of attack on these things.

I know there's videos out there of certain cars with remote entry being easily defeated but I haven't seen any nissans or infinitis being among them, and nissan has been putting keyless ignition on most of their economy to luxury cars since 2006-2007 or so, so thieves have had a decade to try to reverse engineer a way to defeat nissans intelligent key system, any exploitable vulnerability would give them access to enter and possibly drive off with a very wide range of common cars and they still haven't done it in any reported way.

Probably the easiest way to take it that doesn't involve a tow service is just wait for you to get out of it then beat you unconscious with a bat or other blunt instrument and take the keys from your pocket, then they can actually drive it. Again cheap amazon locks and even things like wheel locks don't do much good there if they have the keys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts