Infiniti Q60 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
After a long wait FI has finally shipped my non res 10' Sport CBE. The initial UPS delivery date said Jul 27th, but this morning I was surprised with an extra $360 bucks for import duties but whatever, paid asap and now the UPS site isn't showing up the delivery date. I could not be more anxious for it lol, really hoping they could speed up and delivery before the weekend :D

Will post some videos of the before and after sounds just for kicks, wondering how loud just the CBE will be... soo excited, truly believe it's the one mod that will wake this car up, it already draws so much attention and now with a proper exhaust it should be glorious 馃ぃ

Registered
Are you doing the installation yourself, or by a local shop?

Back in 2017, I installed the FI LDPs & CBE on my Corvette buddy's 4-post BendPak lift (I now own a QuickJack 5k pound lift). The only error I made was installing the X-pipe/intermediate pipe upside-down, which caused one of the rear hangers to tear-away and create a small hole.

The FI insignia will give one hint. The other is the bracket orientation - here is the correct way it should support the pipe:

You'll also see the cross-brace in the picture, with some thick 1/4" diameter washers installed to provide clearance for the X-pipe, as without the washers, the X-pipe can bang the brace going over bumps, etc.

Good luck! Oh, and the stock muffler assembly is heavy! If you can, take it off close to the ground and place a block of wood on top of a floor jack to support it during removal.

Reactions: JonnyB

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I'm on the fence on this, never done anything like that and scared I will **** up and pay for it later on this expensive part. I'm going to visit a trustworthy shop nearby and see how much they charge me. Hoping they charge me about 100 - 150 bucks then I'll just pay for it.

Or do you guys think this is a fairly easy one to install? I did check their install instructions and it has enough stuff about alignments and having 2 people etc that I'm just not sure. I did watch Chrisfix's video on this and it looked like a fairly doable thing...

Thanks for all the info regardless! Now if only UPS would deliver my CBE already lol, had a hard time sleeping yesterday lol.

Registered
Or do you guys think this is a fairly easy one to install? I did check their install instructions and it has enough stuff about alignments and having 2 people etc that I'm just not sure. I did watch Chrisfix's video on this and it looked like a fairly doable thing...
Having a lift or something to give you real estate under the car to R&R the exhaust is helpful. Once you remove the muffler assembly, the Y-pipe is 6 bolts total (3 flanges), and the stock intermediate pipe is held up by hangers (after it's un-bolted from the muffler assembly).

Alternatives to a QJ or BendPak lift are MyLiftStand, which is at Lift Stand Inc | Made in the USA.

I was looking at these before I settled on the QJ. Here are the details from an old email I shared with the owner:

I鈥檓 building and selling my lift stands for $285.00 a pair (2 stands). Shipping is not included. Ship to US and Canada. The lead time right now is about 2 to 3 weeks. You can check shipping cost at UPS.com. My zip code is 60442. The stands are shipped individually at 37lbs each.

Bill Gibbs
myliftstand.com
708-715-5159

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Those look nice. I ended up buying not too long ago those ramps, which worked almost perfectly except I had to place MDF base to help with the clearing since I have a lowered car. Never tried using the ramps on rear wheels, expecting them to be fine.

Man... now u got me wondering if I should DIY it and just save some bucks. 馃馃馃

Registered
When did you order yours? I'm still waiting on mine. Hope fully I get mine soon.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
A while ago, May 11th.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
It has arrived!!! Getting it installed tomorrow by a shop. After looking at the existing exhaust and noticing how rusted the bolts are (we get tons of salt in Toronto) I decided go let the pros do it.

Quality looks top notch. Cant wait to finally have a car that actually sounds like it drives it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
And it's on! Went for a long ride already, loving how it sounds, even the wife likes it which was a good surprise.

Not so happy how It drones it at low rpm, a lot more than I thought it would, guess should've gone for the resonator, oh well not the end of the world - on a side note at WOT under a tunnel it sounds crazy loud and awesome, but super tame and mild when feathering the throttle wich is great, still, surprised about the droning, didnt think I would have any considering this was a Fast Intentions CBE.

Btw, are there any cons on getting a resonator? I.e. does it restrict flow a bit? I'm a complete noob on this.

And happy that I got a shop to install it. The existing exhaust bolts were all rusted and the shop had to use a weld torch to take them out.

Overall, VERY happy I chose the sport mufflers, apart from the droning the volume is perfect.

Registered
Btw, are there any cons on getting a resonator? I.e. does it restrict flow a bit? I'm a complete noob on this.
No. Resonators do not restrict flow,.

Overall, VERY happy I chose the sport mufflers, apart from the droning the volume is perfect.
You can fix the drone by adding a resonator. My suggestion is to go ahead and get the HKS Resonated LDPs next. The LDPs replace the secondary cat, which is only there for cold start emissions, and will NOT set a CEL. added bonus - the secondary cats are quite a restriction, so going with the Resonated LDPs will help with drone, but you'll also get a nice HP & TQ increase, too.

And you'll ask - what about emissions? If your province has an annual emissions check, the OBD "Readiness" will pass with just the primary converter. The only way you could fail is if you need to pass a visual check, like they do in the State of California.

Concept Z Performance has them:

HKS Stainless Steel Lower Downpipes, 2.5" Resonated - Infiniti Q50 / Q60 3.0T VR30DDTT 33006-BN001 Front Pipes - Concept Z Performance

And they are even on-sale, too.

Otherwise, you can pay your exhaust shop to weld-in some resonators into the section of your FI CBE that contains the X-pipe (intermediate pipe). Vibrant Racing has a good selection:

https://vibrantperformance.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=1527_1032_1054&osCsid=a72af77bc3f41059a6c8551fdeeadba9

Oh, and the last option, you could ask FI how much their resonated X-pipe section would cost, and maybe just buy that section. I don't know if they sell stuff a la carte, but if the drone really bothers you, that's another option, you'd just have to wait (again).

Reactions: JakeFromLI

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah that's a good idea, initially ordered the cheap Megan LDP but now it's clear I should get those resonated HKS. Too bad they seem to be all on back order and there's an extra $150 to being them from Japan :/

Registered
Yeah that's a good idea, initially ordered the cheap Megan LDP...
I'm not a fan of Megan products, but to each his own.

Reactions: JakeFromLI

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Do you think that adding the Megan LDP could make the droning worse? I know an LDP will increase the volume, but does that mean worse droning?

I mean, I just got the Megan's delivered today and looks like the HKS is on back order...

Btw, I'm going to be honest, I drove a bunch more and besides loving the tone, I feel like the volume is not as high as I wanted when going WOT lol. Though the low rpm drone is a bit annoying.

Hindsight is 20/20 but now I realize i should've gone with the resonated option offered by FI, too bad I didnt understand or researched what it was, I thought it would reduce flow and volume. /facepalm

Registered
Do you think that adding the Megan LDP could make the droning worse? I know an LDP will increase the volume, but does that mean worse droning?
It's really hard to say. Any LDP is going to allow less back pressure on the turbos, and there will be a corresponding increase in exhaust flow, so you'll change the acoustic signature of the exhaust system. I typically encourage folks who get the FI CBE to get the corresponding FI DPs or LDPs, because FI has tested the combination together.

Regardless, I can't say definitively whether or not adding the Megan LDP will increase drone.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
Regardless, I can't say definitively whether or not adding the Megan LDP will increase drone.
Yeah - in the end I decided the bite the bullet and order the HSK resonated LDP, it is on back order till Aug/Sept, but in the meanwhile I still thoroughly enjoying my FI CBE :)

BTW - forgot to mention, thanks for that post about the position of the X-pipe, the guys were going to install it the wrong way till I noticed and showed them the picture you posted, much appreciated! :)

Registered
BTW - forgot to mention, thanks for that post about the position of the X-pipe, the guys were going to install it the wrong way till I noticed and showed them the picture you posted, much appreciated! :)
Good, that means you'll not have to deal with a fractured/torn pipe wall from the stress from the hanger. FI said that their insignia on the X-pipe needs to be installed "right-side up", but I argued their emblem is stenciled on the finish, and it's hard to discern what is "right-side up". If you go by hanger orientation, then it's much more obvious.

Reactions: JonnyB
1 - 17 of 17 Posts