Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have finally been starting to MOD out my car now that I have all the exterior things done (wheels/chrome delete/spacers etc)

I have been looking at a few options and was reading about the alpha performance packages and to be honest I wouldn’t mind spending a few grand to get the best bang for my buck considering what the package offers.

My question is has anyone here ordered any of these packages and were they worth it?

Or am I better off just ordering fast intention downpipes getting a real tune and may be a cold air intake since this will be cheaper? I currently have a stillen cat back exhaust system as well.

Thank you!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Or am I better off just ordering fast intention downpipes getting a real tune and may be a cold air intake since this will be cheaper? I currently have a stillen cat back exhaust system as well.
Not sure what you mean here, but the alpha performance packages ARE real tunes. If you want to do it piece by piece I'd suggest first getting the heat exchanger before/or at the same time as a tune. The stock one is tiny and will heatsoak quickly, especially at the elevated boost levels that come with a tune. LDP's will net you the most performance after that. As far as power/tq are concerned, the intakes will give you the least bang for your buck on this platform. If money is an issue, I'd say get the parts first and the tune should be the last thing you do.

FWIW, I'm essentially getting a "stage 3" tune from AMS on Monday.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure what you mean here, but the alpha performance packages ARE real tunes. If you want to do it piece by piece I'd suggest first getting the heat exchanger before/or at the same time as a tune. The stock one is tiny and will heatsoak quickly, especially at the elevated boost levels that come with a tune. LDP's will net you the most performance after that. As far as power/tq are concerned, the intakes will give you the least bang for your buck on this platform. If money is an issue, I'd say get the parts first and the tune should be the last thing you do.

FWIW, I'm essentially getting a "stage 3" tune from AMS on Monday.
Thanks for your insight, basically I was just seeing if I should order the AMS “KIT” since it gives you the downpipes/tune/intake etc all at once. So basically I can just get a shop to install everything at one time.

But was just wondering if spending 3k is worth it or better if buying just the downpipes, ecu tune, ajd maybe a heat exchanger

·
Registered
246 Posts
Forget this "maybe a heat exchanger" business. Unless you live in Alaska if you're getting a tune the heat exchanger is a must. Without one you'll run into heatsoak issues fairly quickly. The stock heat exchanger is shamefully small. FI LDP's are 2.5" while AMS are 3". The larger diameter should in theory be better for the exhaust gases as they will be hottest right at that point, so the larger diameter should allow for freer flow.

As far as spending that money for AMS parts and a tune, IMO they're the one of, if not the premier tuner for this platform. They're a bit pricier compared to others, but they're also the only company that Infiniti uses for their motorsports parts catalog. To me, that's worth it. I can't tell you if that's worth it for you.

As far as AMS packages go, I'd suggest doing their stage 1 and adding the LDP's, that's a much better performance increase compared to the intakes.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Forget this "maybe a heat exchanger" business. Unless you live in Alaska if you're getting a tune the heat exchanger is a must. Without one you'll run into heatsoak issues fairly quickly. The stock heat exchanger is shamefully small. FI LDP's are 2.5" while AMS are 3". The larger diameter should in theory be better for the exhaust gases as they will be hottest right at that point, so the larger diameter should allow for freer flow.

As far as spending that money for AMS parts and a tune, IMO they're the one of, if not the premier tuner for this platform. They're a bit pricier compared to others, but they're also the only company that Infiniti uses for their motorsports parts catalog. To me, that's worth it. I can't tell you if that's worth it for you.

As far as AMS packages go, I'd suggest doing their stage 1 and adding the LDP's, that's a much better performance increase compared to the intakes.
Haha yah I understand I’ll for sure get a heat exchanger then. Does they apply even if I was to get a jb4 instead which isn’t a real tune really?
And thanks for the reply that helps slot

·
Registered
246 Posts
The JB4 increases boost, which means more heat as well, so yes the heat exchanger will still be beneficial.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I don't know about shipping times to Canada, but FI generally has some long lead times on their items.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
From what I heard, Fast Intentions recently had to shut-down for a few days to a week because an employee had Covid. Even without that, they are experiencing the same supply chain issues as many other fabrication and manufacturing shops, i.e., the raw 304L Stainless Steel that they require for their pipes has been tough to get.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts