Infiniti Q60 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So driving in this morning to work normally and JB4 set to Map 0 so no extra boost, I notice the CEL come on when I was getting onto the toll road. I wasn't flooring it at all, light acceleration from 55 to 70mph. Other then the CEL being on I didn't really notice any degradation in the car itself. AFR was showing 14.5 - 14.7 like it usually does. Got to work just fine and once in a parking spot pulled up the code scanner and it just showed P0200. No other codes. Cleared it, shut off engine, restarted just fine. P0200 is a injector circuit malfunction apparently, but I've never touched the injectors. Maybe just a dirty injector? I would think that a bit odd at only 32K. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this code show up?

It's fair to note I don't have any tune as well, just the JB4 but it's usually just in Map0 for my daily commute. Have always given her 93. I did fill up the tank on Sunday night at a Shell Station which is not my usual place to fill up at.

·
Super Moderator
2,678 Posts
I use Shell exclusively in my cars and high performance motorcycles.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea you're right Bevo it's probably not the fuel or the injectors. Reading the code description again it generally infers the injector circuit which controls the injectors. And since it only threw P0200 and not any specific injector cylinder code such as P0201, P0202 etc I'm probably looking at an electrical hiccup somewhere.

·
Registered
441 Posts
And since it only threw P0200 and not any specific injector cylinder code such as P0201, P0202 etc I'm probably looking at an electrical hiccup somewhere.
I agree.

Electrical loose connection somewhere would be my guess. I had the P0200 code on my wife's Rav 4 but it wasn't by itself...it was a among a ton of codes, plus every light possible would light up (her dash looked like a Christmas tree). Turned out it was a bad (loose) main ground strap. The engine had been taken out and rebuilt and the main ground strap wasn't making a good connection.

Back when I was an electronic technician working on any sort of intermittent wiring harness or ground fault problem, it was actually pretty easy to find out if it was a loose connection, just vigorously SHAKE the wiring harness and connection points at various places until you find it. You also can use a rubber mallet to gently tap the engine in various places to see if you can reproduce it. This is helpful when a wire is "pinched" somewhere and grounding out.

If you've shaken and tapped the heck out of everything you can think of, then I would be careful to log how much time occurs from cold startup to the problem occurring. You can use part substitution to find out which injector might be marginal, for example. So you could buy one new injector... And substitute it one cylinder at a time daily, and see if the problem goes away. This usually works 99% of the time, except in those rare cases where there's TWO bad components or issues occurring, but that's very rare. Sometimes problems only occur after the components have been in operation for awhile.

IF it's a loose connection or bad wiring, then you'll find it pretty quickly...if not then it's most likely a marginal injector.

I believe you can also measure the resistance of each one and compare the readings to see what the "consensus" is in ohms, in order to find the "outlier".

Best wishes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Back when I was an electronic technician working on any sort of intermittent wiring harness or ground fault problem, it was actually pretty easy to find out if it was a loose connection, just vigorously SHAKE the wiring harness and connection points at various places until you find it. You also can use a rubber mallet to gently tap the engine in various places to see if you can reproduce it. This is helpful when a wire is "pinched" somewhere and grounding out.

If you've shaken and tapped the heck out of everything you can think of, then I would be careful to log how much time occurs from cold startup to the problem occurring. You can use part substitution to find out which injector might be marginal, for example. So you could buy one new injector... And substitute it one cylinder at a time daily, and see if the problem goes away. This usually works 99% of the time, except in those rare cases where there's TWO bad components or issues occurring, but that's very rare. Sometimes problems only occur after the components have been in operation for awhile.

IF it's a loose connection or bad wiring, then you'll find it pretty quickly...if not then it's most likely a marginal injector.

I believe you can also measure the resistance of each one and compare the readings to see what the "consensus" is in ohms, in order to find the "outlier".

Best wishes

Absolutely stellar advice gipsonke, thanks for that! I think it might just be or been a slight loose connection somewhere since I drove it home yesterday which is about 50 miles without the CEL coming on. I didn't take a look under the hood last night or anything which I should have but was otherwise distracted. Then drove to work this morning without the CEL coming on, which satisfied the 2-trip count. Honestly Route 7 with these springs is a bit of a rough ride so it really does make sense. I'll keep the monitor on for the next few trips it makes and see if it trips again, otherwise I'll get some under the hood time this weekend when I'm tinkering. It was just such an odd occurrence I felt it worthy of posting it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts