Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm deciding between remote tuners and I'm heavily considering RaceBox. Seems like they are getting all the hype right now. Is anyone tuned by RaceBox and how was the experience?

I'm also considering Specialty Z and AMS remote tuning as well, but I've read about lackluster customer support for the AMS remote tunes.

Regarding SpecialtyZ, another user was claiming that he got more power at the same PSI when he switched to RaceBox. His words: "Sebs tunes are pretty wack man. I switched to Racebox and made 26 more WHP on 18.5 vs. Sebs 20 psi."

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,585 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If already tuned, it's interesting that RaceBox can piggy-back on the Ecutek programming:

Racemode Tuning for Infiniti Q60 3.0L – racebox

View attachment 24440
So I'm definitely finding more shady stuff with the AMS remote tunes. Apparently another guy had to get his engine replaced after his turbo's blew and starved his engine of oil. This was after the AMS tune and seems like they were just going for the numbers and not a safe/reliable tune. Thoughts? Take a look at my screenshot below:

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've been tuned by Specialtyz and BTuned. Seb gave me a very conservative tune and I just wasn't very happy with the power output. He's a stand up guy but maybe a little too safe. I remote tuned with him and made 416whp and 468tq. I eventually got retuned by Brandon and made 444whp and 497tq. It was a night and day difference in the car. Brandon remote tuned me on some street pulls and then when I told him I was going to dyno the car he offered to support me remotely while I was at the dyno so he could make adjustments as needed. I was happy with his support and the tune.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I've been tuned by Specialtyz and BTuned. Seb gave me a very conservative tune and I just wasn't very happy with the power output. He's a stand up guy but maybe a little too safe. I remote tuned with him and made 416whp and 468tq.
Huh... and my Q w/Seb's tune using the 1.3 bar (~19 psi) map generated 437 WHP & 502 WTQ on 93 pump gas, DynoJet AWD dyno, with temps in the 60s, which happened one month later back in my home state of WA.

Now, I also physically had Seb riding shotgun with me as we road-tuned my Q back in Sept 2018 - that was fun! A couple hours earlier my Q was at FI getting the Catted DPs installed, so it was a busy day for me and my wallet.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Apparently another guy had to get his engine replaced after his turbo's blew and starved his engine of oil.
Maybe you didn't know, but Infiniti decided to increase the measured oil sump capacity of the MY2019+ VR30 engines by a 1/2 qt. They did this increase solely by shortening the length of the dipstick, so that the full mark was now indicated with a 1/2 qt. extra in the crankcase. What about the older revision dipstick? It's been discontinued. Therefore, the pre-MY2019 VR30s can run the shorter dipstick, along with the extra 1/2 qt. of sump capacity, which can't hurt when discussing oil starvation issues. I also run the larger oil filter, which provides ~1/4 qt extra capacity, too. Every little bit helps...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe you didn't know, but Infiniti decided to increase the measured oil sump capacity of the MY2019+ VR30 engines by a 1/2 qt. They did this increase solely by shortening the length of the dipstick, so that the full mark was now indicated with a 1/2 qt. extra in the crankcase. What about the older revision dipstick? It's been discontinued. Therefore, the pre-MY2019 VR30s can run the shorter dipstick, along with the extra 1/2 qt. of sump capacity, which can't hurt when discussing oil starvation issues. I also run the larger oil filter, which provides ~1/4 qt extra capacity, too. Every little bit helps...
Good to know. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yeah AMS has tuned majority of the VRs out there and are one of the busiest tuners in the world. Their response time is slower than others but I haven't heard a single bad thing from their tunes, remote or in person. They are down a tuner after Dan passed but you cant just replace a tuner overnight. They are also a bit more conservative on their tunes when its remote as they rather be safe than sorry. As with the modding culture, not one tuner will ever have a 100% success rate. VRs are reliable but start messing with them and that reality can drop. For the $1400 tune, I would go with AMS as I trust their partnership with Nissan/Infiniti and their track record.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah AMS has tuned majority of the VRs out there and are one of the busiest tuners in the world. Their response time is slower than others but I haven't heard a single bad thing from their tunes, remote or in person. They are down a tuner after Dan passed but you cant just replace a tuner overnight. They are also a bit more conservative on their tunes when its remote as they rather be safe than sorry. As with the modding culture, not one tuner will ever have a 100% success rate. VRs are reliable but start messing with them and that reality can drop. For the $1400 tune, I would go with AMS as I trust their partnership with Nissan/Infiniti and their track record.
Thank you for your insight. Are you also tuned by AMS?

·
Registered
43 Posts
How does remote tuning work? i.e. How savvy do you need to be to do it yourself?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Seb gave me a very conservative tune and I just wasn't very happy with the power output. He's a stand up guy but maybe a little too safe
Did you get a full custom (more expensive) tune or the one off the shelf?

I was remote tuned by Seb, we went thru 6 revisions till we were satisfied with the logs and results. It did take a while to get there and I wished he was a bit quicker on the revisions but the end result was amazing!

·
Registered
27 Posts
How does remote tuning work? i.e. How savvy do you need to be to do it yourself?
You don't have to bee too savvy, the tuner will walk you through the steps. It's just going out and doing pulls and recording the readings.

That being said I've had my 2018 Q60 AWD Red Sport tuned by SpecialtyZ, and like some others said he is conservative. There were a couple tunes he did with me that produced more HP than the final one he settled on.

My second tune was with RaceBox, but in person. Husein know what the F he's doing and driving the car after the tune was like night and day.

Check with the various tuners and see if you can get an in-person tune. I know that AMS will travel for a tune, for a cost, or if they are at an event. Depending on where you're at it might be worth it to take a road trip.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tuned by AMS...car is fast and reliable.

Best time so far is 3.13s 0-60 and 11.08s quarter mile.
Super impressive. How long have you had their tune and and how much whp/tq numbers are you putting down? Are you on 93 pump gas or E85? Stock turbos?

Just curious.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Thanks! I've had it for 15 months. RA500 tune + new fuel rails, AMS Injectors, AMS Fuel Pressure Sensor, AMS Fuel Filter, AMS Aux Intercooler Tank, Invidia CBE, Z1 Subframe Collars, Z1 2pc Rotors.

Stock turbos running E85.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks! I've had it for 15 months. RA500 tune + new fuel rails, AMS Injectors, AMS Fuel Pressure Sensor, AMS Fuel Filter, AMS Aux Intercooler Tank, Invidia CBE, Z1 Subframe Collars, Z1 2pc Rotors.

Stock turbos running E85.
WTF, and the stock turbos handle all that power? How the heck do the stock turbos handle that much heat without blowing? Any reliability issues in the 15 months? I'm surprised.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
WTF, and the stock turbos handle all that power? How the heck do the stock turbos handle that much heat without blowing?
Amsoil. LOL.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
You joking or serious? lol. I'm just really curious how many sets of turbos he went through.
j/k. But I hear all these stories about Amsoil being the greatest thing since sliced bread, so...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts