Infiniti Q60 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had the audio system go dead yet? All of the on screen stuff seemed normal, just no sound from any mode. I scrolled through the settings to see if anything looked wrong, but it all checked out. So I rebooted the system, nothing happened. Then I rebooted it a second time and everything came back to life. I have seen the posts about the navigation screen going blank and needing a reboot (happened to me once but came back by just restarting), maybe the audio suffers a similar problem??? This thing gets a knot in it's shorts pretty easily. :)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Might be a dumb question, but how do you restart it? Just shutting the car off and back on?
You can do a soft reset of the infotainment system by holding the audio power button down for like 5 seconds

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, what Coahman said above.

·
Registered
81 Posts
This is a bit of an epidemic on many modern cars from all manufacturers. Everything is now software driven, and Bill Gates has taught us the necessity of control-alt-delete and restart when software locks up. The reset method varies, but the same principles apply.

I've had a half dozen cars from different manufacturers now, where most strange glitches like this are cured by shutting down and restarting. I've even had to disconnect the positive battery cable, and reconnect to clear some of the gremlins.

However, it's been so far so good w/ the Q60.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Yeah, Infiniti's infotainment system seems to be surprisingly reliable. I only had to reset it on my Q50 once in the 14 months I owned it. I've heard from Lexus and Mercedes owners that they often have to reset theirs on a monthly basis.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now the audio system spends about half its time dead! The reboots do not solve the issue. I have set up an appointment to have it checked out. I hate the idea of a brand new car being torn apart looking for gremlins! :(

Reactions: Bevo Horn

·
Super Moderator
2,765 Posts
Now the audio system spends about half its time dead! The reboots do not solve the issue. I have set up an appointment to have it checked out. I hate the idea of a brand new car being torn apart looking for gremlins! :(
That sucks. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Now the audio system spends about half its time dead! The reboots do not solve the issue. I have set up an appointment to have it checked out. I hate the idea of a brand new car being torn apart looking for gremlins!
Good luck man. Hopefully it's a quick fix.

·
Super Moderator
2,055 Posts
That is the pits. I'd hate for my brand new car to be torn apart but I think this almost requires a replacement system. Keep us posted on what you find and how your dealer and Infiniti manages it.

I'd also confirm what all needs to be taken apart so you can check for wear and tear from the re-install...in case they break something or other. That way you can get them to replace the piece as opposed to them claiming you did it if and when you find it later on.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I dropped by the dealership today while the audio system was in its 'dead mode'. I had the service rep note that nothing worked and proceeded to set up an appointment. While that was going on, the service manager showed up with his laptop to take a look. He noted what was going on, with the audio on when starting the car the audio would come on for a few seconds until the apps loaded, then go off. I had not seen this as I typically start the car and turn on the radio a little later. I pointed out that I had noticed the volume indicator lines were four times as wide when it was NOT working compared to their narrow width when it was. He plugged in his laptop with Consult and found that he could not get it to throw any codes. Therefore, he said bring it in and they would need to tear into it and solve the problem. Since it is a brand new car he was going to contact Nissan/Infiniti to see if they wanted to have their engineering rep there to be involved. I'll let you know how this plays out in a couple of weeks. :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dropped the car off at the dealership last evening. Got the call tonight, 'cannot replicate' after a day of fiddling. Tomorrow is another day. ;)

·
Registered
346 Posts
I thought I had a similar problem with my phone bluetooth'ed in and realized that after I shut things down and powered back up, I had no sound.

Turns out that the Audio gets turned all the way down automatically at a restart so I just need to turn up the volume. Smart, how many times have I shult down with the music up only to get blasted at the next time I get in the car.

·
Super Moderator
2,765 Posts
Has anyone had the audio system go dead yet? All of the on screen stuff seemed normal, just no sound from any mode. I scrolled through the settings to see if anything looked wrong, but it all checked out. So I rebooted the system, nothing happened. Then I rebooted it a second time and everything came back to life. I have seen the posts about the navigation screen going blank and needing a reboot (happened to me once but came back by just restarting), maybe the audio suffers a similar problem??? This thing gets a knot in it's shorts pretty easily. :)
Ok, I was driving tonight and my "radio" died. I thought maybe the XM lost its signal, but then I tried my preset FM stations and nothing. Turned the volume knob and the display showed the volume was increasing and decreasing, but no sound. Voice recognition worked. Was having to pay attention to traffic plus I don't have all the audio controls on the steering wheel memorized yet. Keep fiddling with the buttons and the audio came back. Not sure what the heck happened.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ah...haaa. Since my car is now in its second day at the shop and they cannot make it fail, I think I have successfully transferred the 'virus' to Texas. My troubles are over!!!:) FYI, my audio fails at start up...it either works or it doesn't. It has never failed just driving down the road. Also, on the screen everything appears normal with the stations and artists showing up, but no sound. The volume knob looks like it is increasing the volume but the bars are very wide when dead, but thin when working.The nav/backup camera has also had a glitch twice.

Mid- post update: Just got a call saying the DCU (Display Control Unit) will be replaced! Seems I read a thread on the Q50 forum where the writer had the DCU replaced 4 times. Oh, well......:(

Good luck with my virus Bevo!

·
Super Moderator
2,765 Posts
All the displays were functioning correctly when my audio died. I'm wondering if it's a Bluetooth issue where the system mutes the audio because it thinks you're in a phone call.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Possible.....but that has been one of the issues raised by Infiniti along with possible USB interference. I did a hard shut down of my iPhone6 when in the car and it did not seem to make any difference, the radio still failed intermittently.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
One week does not a lifetime make, but I wanted to wait awhile before this update. Last Friday the DCU (Display Control Unit) was replaced by the dealer. I had nav/backup camera glitches and all audio modes dead intermittently as discussed in previous posts. So far, so good. I have driven the car daily since then and played with the audio a lot. It has been fine. :) I'll let you know if the gremlins return.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts