Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to add this question to an audio thread that I thought existed in this section but I can't find it, so I'll start a general Audio Settings thread.

The manual says there is the Bose Audio Pilot in addition to Speed Sensitive Volume. Both can change volume depending on different situations. My wife loves Speed Sensitive Volume in her JX, but I wasn't a fan of it in my G35. It seems to be active in my Q60, but I don't have the Speed Sensitive Volume setting like it's listed in the manual.

Any idea where it is or if it actually exists? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
Bose Audio Pilot is speed sensitive, but as far as I can tell there are no adjustments.

·
Registered
95 Posts
To get to the full suite of audio settings, you have to go to:

Settings > Audio > Sound Settings

Pressing the gear icon from the Audio/Radio screen doesn't take you to the full suite of settings - intuitive, eh?

And as Bevo pointed out, Bose Audio Pilot is the equivalent of speed sensitive volume in this car. But try playing around with the other settings.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, very weird. Based on 4-32 in the InTouch manual, Speed Sensitive Volume should be between Surround Vol and Driver’s Audio Stage and is described as "Automatically adjusts the volume depending on the vehicle speed. Touch [+]/[-] to change the sensitivity level". Maybe it's a hold over from past manuals and they only have the Bose Audio Pilot option now. Oh well. Thanks.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Yeah, very weird. Based on 4-32 in the InTouch manual, Speed Sensitive Volume should be between Surround Vol and Driver’s Audio Stage and is described as "Automatically adjusts the volume depending on the vehicle speed. Touch [+]/[-] to change the sensitivity level". Maybe it's a hold over from past manuals and they only have the Bose Audio Pilot option now. Oh well. Thanks.
The manual adjustment info is regarding the cars without audio pilot. The manual has a lot of errors.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My understanding is that audiopilot is not the same as speed sensitive volume ...and audio pilot listens for ambien noise and makes adjustments not dependent on speed. I remember reading that somewhere in a BOSE forum.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Here you go.. I was partly right.. Not just speed but also other ambient noise (wind, etc.)

Officially known as Bose AudioPilot Noise Compensation Technology, the feature detects ambient noise levels and analyzes vehicle speed to continuously monitor and adjust the audio volume. The end result is that your music or audio programming sounds the same at a set volume no matter how fast you’re traveling, or how much ambient noise is present in the vehicle due to speed, or other factors

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
No matter what you call it or how you describe it, the volume is higher at higher speeds and lower at lower speeds, however, it's not adjustable unless "On" or "Off" is an adjustment. :D

Reactions: 1701-64D

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've tried A LOT of different audio settings to get a sound I was happy with. I originally kept DSP like Bose Centerpoint off while keeping everything flat, similar to how I used the sound system in my 2007 G, but I found I actually enjoyed using Bose Centerpoint. I mostly hate Driver's Audio Stage though, especially if someone is in the car with you. Bose Centerpoint tricks may not be how the artist and mixer meant the music to be heard but hearing the mono elements be out in front accentuates the stereo elements around you, and I started to dig the experience. So it was time to play with settings while Bose Centerpoint was on. I'd find something I was happy with then within a few days, I'd change it looking for something better. I've been doing this since getting the car almost 2 months ago.

My goal was to find settings that work for me on a wide range of music at a wide range of volume levels so I could refrain from constantly changing my settings. I often like listening loud and that may get the bass thumping, but when I turn it down, the bass may then be too low, so I wanted an average setting that could work fine for both loudness levels. Also, modern day mixes don't sound like a lot of older mixes. I wanted to find settings that worked for both. Different genres sound different too. I wanted something that could work for classical, classic rock, current rock, pop, alternative, hard rock and even thrash metal. Granted, my settings may be different if I listened to only one type of music or listened at the same level all the time.

I've now been using the same settings for a few weeks so I think I've found my sweet spot. For a stock system, I like the new Bose quite a bit. I rented a Mercedes a few weeks ago and though the sound system was nice, and some may even prefer it, I didn't feel it was as good and there was a spike in the low-mid that drove me crazy.

I did prefer how the Mercedes had a Mid EQ setting though and not just Bass and Treble, which is ridiculous. In the Q60, I kept wanting to bump the Treble up more than one notch for some additional mid frequencies, but the problem with that is the high end then becomes much too harsh, cymbals, esses and such. What I found though is that if you push the Fade one or two notches to the front, the mid frequencies sound more pronounced simply because of which speakers are being used. The sound system is already out in front of you so I felt this worked well. I was actually really happy about hearing the mids pushed this way.

The problem with this was that though I like certain elements out in front of me, I felt I wasn't surrounded by the music, and in my car, I want to be surrounded. Part of the problem was that, at the time, I was setting the Surround Vol half way down because of being stubborn about minimizing DSP tricks. So I set the Surround Vol back to the middle again and thought okay, that actually does work better, but now that I moved the Fade a little towards the front, lets experiment with the Surround Vol up even more. I spent time with Surround Vol at varying positive levels, settling at two notches up, then I'd go back and forth between that setting and just having it in the middle to see what I liked most. So here are the sound settings I've settled on (for now at least).

Bass +2
Treble +1
Balance 0
Fade +1
Bose Centerpoint On
Bose Auto Pilot N/R
Surround Vol. +2
Driver's Audio Stage Off

Maybe someone can find this useful. What I'm curious about is trying your settings. If you post your settings, also please say what what kind of volumes you prefer and what kind of music. Because this is all subjective, I think those two pieces of information is very important to what settings work for you. Thanks, all!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I cannot adjust surround volume. I see it, but it is greyed out. The slider appears to be set in the center, but I cannot adjust it up or down. Anyone know why?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
I cannot adjust surround volume. I see it, but it is greyed out. The slider appears to be set in the center, but I cannot adjust it up or down. Anyone know why?
P. 4-32 in the Infiniti InTouch manual

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had a Q50 loaner a few weeks ago that had the upgraded Bose system and that vehicle also had the Surround slider greyed out. I meant to ask them why because it shouldn't have been like that and drove me crazy, but I forgot to. I assumed something was wrong with it. Good luck and please post back when you have an answer.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
I had a Q50 loaner a few weeks ago that had the upgraded Bose system and that vehicle also had the Surround slider greyed out. I meant to ask them why because it shouldn't have been like that and drove me crazy, but I forgot to. I assumed something was wrong with it. Good luck and please post back when you have an answer.
Have any of the options that are uncheck/disabled? Need to have basically all the audio options enabled.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I will have to mess with it again, but I've tried having only Bose CenterPoint turned on and the slider was still greyed out. Also tried CenterPoint and AudioPilot on and the slider was still grey. I thought I tried all combinations, but the surround volume always stays greyed out.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Have any of the options that are uncheck/disabled? Need to have basically all the audio options enabled.
Yeah. I've spent more time in the audio settings than I can to count and there was simply no way to turn on the Surround setting in that loaner.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I did prefer how the Mercedes had a Mid EQ setting though and not just Bass and Treble, which is ridiculous. In the Q60, I kept wanting to bump the Treble up more than one notch for some additional mid frequencies, but the problem with that is the high end then becomes much too harsh, cymbals, esses and such. What I found though is that if you push the Fade one or two notches to the front, the mid frequencies sound more pronounced simply because of which speakers are being used. The sound system is already out in front of you so I felt this worked well. I was actually really happy about hearing the mids pushed this way.

Bass +2
Treble +1
Balance 0
Fade +1
Bose Centerpoint On
Bose Auto Pilot N/R
Surround Vol. +2
Driver's Audio Stage Off
I'm curious what you're listening to music on (device plugged into aux, cd, HD radio, etc). I plug my phone into the aux port with no active EQ on the phone, but I have Treble cranked to the maximum on my Q60, and it still isn't enough for me.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Turn off all the other presets from Bose and try it. If lost try reset all and go right to surround adjustment. Mine is adjustable, love a little reverb to my Metal!

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
I'm curious what you're listening to music on (device plugged into aux, cd, HD radio, etc). I plug my phone into the aux port with no active EQ on the phone, but I have Treble cranked to the maximum on my Q60, and it still isn't enough for me.
Does that make everything but your phone sound like crap?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Phone connected via USB with no EQ on the phone. I'll do bluetooth in a pinch but there is a very noticeable difference in quality to me.

Even with the Treble at +1, there is too much high end compared to how the mix should actually sound to be honest, but the sound system seems to lack a little mid presence. Because of that, I originally tried the Treble at +2 or even +3 with the Fade at 0 and the Surround at 0, but it's just way too much and harsh on the ears, yet doesn't really "fix" the mids like I wanted. Same goes for doing the same with Bose Centerpoint off, which is nice actually but then the music sounds like its at my knees. Anyway, bumping the Fade to the front a little lets the mids stick out more, which is why I had said I set the Treble to +1 and the Fade to +1 with the Surround at +2 to fill in around me because of the Fade. Sometimes though I keep the Treble a 0 but bump the Fade +2 with the Surround at +3. This really separates the music which is interesting.

Honestly, the Bass bumped up +2 isn't true to the mix either, but some music, especially older music, simply lacks bass. Plus if you're listening at lower levels, you'll often loose bass too. So I chose +2 so I didn't feel the need to play with it often.

I usually like very flat/true sounding systems, so I almost hate that I use Bose Centerpoint with the Surround, but I'm surprisingly impressed by the "experience" Bose Centerpoint and Surround creates in the Q60, even though I hated it in the Q50. If someone happens to be in the back, I just turn off Bose Centerpoint.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts