Infiniti Q60 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my cars blowing insane amounts of grey smoke upon deceleration, when coming to a stop just getting ton of smoke out the rear exhaust.. Going to take my car to the dealer however i am thinking its either bad turbo seals or valve seals which i hope is covered.. cars got 12,500 miles on it.

Anybody else run into an issue or hear about running into this issue on our platform?

·
Super Moderator
2,021 Posts
Oh wow. Unless you're seriously tuned, that's pretty low mileage wise to be seeing these issues. I hope it works out.

Should be covered under warranty as long as the dealer doesn't try to pull the ol' "they all do it" bull. Let us know what they say.

·
Super Moderator
2,535 Posts
Please keep us updated

·
Super Moderator
2,535 Posts
Oh wow. Unless you're seriously tuned, that's pretty low mileage wise to be seeing these issues. I hope it works out.

Should be covered under warranty as long as the dealer doesn't try to pull the ol' "they all do it" bull. Let us know what they say.
Listed in his garage:
AMS intakes
HKS BOV

·
Registered
346 Posts
Subbed. Sorry to hear this man, can you shed some light on who tuned your car and what mods you have and who did the installs?

·
Super Moderator
2,535 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not yet, I haven’t called Infiniti .. I’m going on Friday to swap my stock downpipes back in and then give them a call... however multiple Facebook groups a lot of people had similar issues and said that it’s because of the full downpipes and to switch to HFC downpipes... I’m still going to go through Infiniti but about 10 people sent me videos of there cars smoking and they all had full or just lower DP.

·
Registered
549 Posts
...it’s because of the full downpipes and to switch to HFC downpipes... I’m still going to go through Infiniti but about 10 people sent me videos of there cars smoking and they all had full or just lower DP.
Ok, so do you have Full DPs (no cats) or LDPs (no 2nd cat) right now?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ran into that when I was at 10-15k miles then changed my oil to 5-30 and haven't see it yet. Currently at 18k miles.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I believe even Pure turbo states that factory turbo's will smoke. My guess is just a bit of oil that gets past the seals. I have full catless downpipes and get a bit of smoke, but nothing I would consider "insane". If it's not making noises or running bad, it's probably normal given your exhaust.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have full DPs no cats... maybe I’ll switch the that 5w oil and see what happens
I'd recommend Valvoline 5W30 Modern Engine Oil. I've used it in my tuned '17 Q60 Red Sport for the last two oil change intervals. The resulting oil analysis by Blackstone Labs was very good for low wear metals.

Find it here:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valvoline-Modern-Engine-SAE-5W-30-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-Easy-Pour-5-Quart/985370023

It may also be physically on the shelf at larger Walmarts & Super Centers. I used to buy the 5 qt container (+1 qt container) at a smaller Walmart, but they stopped carrying it earlier this year.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@IridiumRS400 This seems like a good idea, thank you for the information behind it.. you are actually the 2nd person who mentioned this to me within the past 24 hours ( on the Facebook group somebody also told me to do this) I’m not sure if this also has anything to do with it however when I lower the boost it seems to happen less.

·
Super Moderator
2,535 Posts
My dealership uses 5W-30 normally

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I believe even Pure turbo states that factory turbo's will smoke. My guess is just a bit of oil that gets past the seals. I have full catless downpipes and get a bit of smoke, but nothing I would consider "insane". If it's not making noises or running bad, it's probably normal given your exhaust.
I am going to look into adding a catch can similar to your set up, thanks for having that link in your signature for others like me to review!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I am going to look into adding a catch can similar to your set up, thanks for having that link in your signature for others like me to review!
no prob, not everyone wants to spend a bunch of money on something they can make themselves for much cheaper.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
My dealership uses 5W-30 normally
Which reminds me, when I had my Q in at the dealer's for warranty repairs the past few weeks one of the first questions I was asked by the Service Advisor was what oil I was using. I replied I had switched over to Mobil1 5W-30 from the very first oil change. He was surprised and said that wasn't the standard weight for the VR30DDTT. I told him it was an optional weight for warmer climates (I'm in NorCal where it hardly ever gets down to freezing) as listed in the owner's manual. He checked his computer, and sure enough, there it was. So those of you who live/drive in similar climates, you definitely have the option to changeover to 5W-30 as mentioned in the previous posts.

no prob, not everyone wants to spend a bunch of money on something they can make themselves for much cheaper.
Amen to that!
~

1 - 20 of 48 Posts