Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, sorry for the long post but I'm hoping someone may be able to shed some light on what is happening to my car (brand new 2017 Q60 3.0t, less than 75 miles on the odometer, no aftermarket accessories).
I drove it to and from work (only 4 miles each way) for 4 days. Friday, the 5th day, the car would not start, battery was dead.
After having my car towed to the dealership Friday morning, I received a phone call the same day notifying me that my car was ready to be picked up. When I pressed the SA as to why the battery was dead in the first place, I was told that there wasn’t anything wrong with it, all that it needed was a boost and I had probably just left a door open or the lights on (this was not the case).
The next day I went to pick up the car. Again, I requested an explanation from the SA as to what had caused the car to fail and was given the same story. No root cause as to why it happened, just “Other than needing a boost there was nothing wrong. The battery & charging system tested perfectly”.
In an effort to reassure me, the SA went into the service bay to start the car. Surprisingly enough, it didn’t start.
Any suggestions?
Has anyone else heard of or experienced this type of failure?

Also, the Infiniti Connect Services App is unable to locate the car and the motoring/alert function does not work.

· Registered
81 Posts
May I ask, when you say "dead," do you mean like completely dead without any sounds and no dashboard lights or dead where you see dashboard activity and hear the "evil clicking sound" which is the solenoid and starter motor are trying to engage. The latter implies the battery is too weak and therefore "almost dead" like Billy Crystal (Miracle Max; see lync below) said in the "Princess Bride?" I have had cars that would not start intermittently due to an internal break within the battery, which can't be seen in a sealed battery. Some days it would start normally other days not at all presumably due to thermal expansion/contraction. Perhaps when all else fails, ask the SA to replace the battery in your brand new vehicle.

· Registered
10 Posts
Battery drain has been a well known issue with the G products, first I've heard of it with a Q. Infiniti should have tested for any excessive current draw besides taking the easy way out and assuming it was due to owner negligence.

· Administrator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
4,511 Posts
Since it's a 2017 the car may have been sitting for quite some time so the battery could have drained over time. Also, check the battery fluid level. The owner's manual describes the proper level. Log onto your Connect Services account and make sure it's active.

Reactions: Hugoagogo

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all for your input.

Update-
I left the car with the dealer for a week to determine the cause of the dead battery and after "extensive testing", no abnormal current draw was found and all systems are working properly.
Apparently AGM batteries are new for Infiniti and although their shop diagnostics gave the battery an initial pass, it was later determined to be defective and has been replaced under warranty.
Coming from a BMW, I am very aware of the pros & cons of AGM batteries but at least BMW would give the operator a warning about the low charge and encourage an extended drive or an external charger to top up the system. On the flipside, BMW does not warranty their batteries BTW so thank you Infiniti!
Regardless, I think there were two contributing factors to the battery failure:
-Bevo had it right when suggesting the battery had drained while the car had been sitting on the lot.
-My short commute to and from the office (3.2 miles each way) does not help matters. I won't mind taking the long way from now on.
Last question and I'll stop beating this dead horse:
The SA suggested I use a battery tender if I leave the car parked for more than a few days. This isn't a big deal as I had to do this with my last car but I'm curious if others do the same. Does anyone else leave their car parked for extended periods without issue?

· Administrator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
4,511 Posts
The SA suggested I use a battery tender if I leave the car parked for more than a few days. This isn't a big deal as I had to do this with my last car but I'm curious if others do the same. Does anyone else leave their car parked for extended periods without issue?
Are you in the US? I'm almost 100% certain my RS has a lead acid battery.

Both bikes and my RS are on tenders when parked. Might I suggest https://optimate1.com/

· Registered
197 Posts
Since I work from home, my car will sometimes sit dormant for 2-3 days at a time. 2 mile commute to the gym occasionally but mostly take the Q50. No battery drain issues. Don't forget that our cars are constantly transmitting due the Infiniti Connection services.

· Registered
265 Posts
Thanks to all for your input.

Update-
I left the car with the dealer for a week to determine the cause of the dead battery and after "extensive testing", no abnormal current draw was found and all systems are working properly.
Apparently AGM batteries are new for Infiniti and although their shop diagnostics gave the battery an initial pass, it was later determined to be defective and has been replaced under warranty.
Coming from a BMW, I am very aware of the pros & cons of AGM batteries but at least BMW would give the operator a warning about the low charge and encourage an extended drive or an external charger to top up the system. On the flipside, BMW does not warranty their batteries BTW so thank you Infiniti!
Regardless, I think there were two contributing factors to the battery failure:
-Bevo had it right when suggesting the battery had drained while the car had been sitting on the lot.
-My short commute to and from the office (3.2 miles each way) does not help matters. I won't mind taking the long way from now on.
Last question and I'll stop beating this dead horse:
My Q60 sits parked for 5-7 days at a time once each month. No battery issues. You shouldn't have to use a tender or worry about taking the long way to work. It sounds like it was just an old/bad battery.

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are you in the US? I'm almost 100% certain my RS has a lead acid battery.

Both bikes and my RS are on tenders when parked. Might I suggest https://optimate1.com/
Thanks Bevo, I've have several tenders as well and only one of them is suitable for an AGM.
I'm in Canada FWIW.
OEM battery part# is 9A35/85
12V-AGM, 640 CCA @ O degrees F, RC 100, 20 Hr rate, 50 Ah, made in the good 'ol USofA.

· Administrator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
4,511 Posts
Thanks Bevo, I've have several tenders as well and only one of them is suitable for an AGM.
I'm in Canada FWIW.
OEM battery part# is 9A35/85
12V-AGM, 640 CCA @ O degrees F, RC 100, 20 Hr rate, 50 Ah, made in the good 'ol USofA.
Is that a maintenance free battery? The OEM Q60 batteries in the states have to be maintained.

· Registered
4 Posts
Hi. I just saw this thread and wanted to know if you every had any resolution to this. I have a 6 month old daily driver 2018 Q60. It sat for one day and the battery died (with the "evil clicking"). This is the second time it happened - the first being a few months ago. No doors were left open and no lights were left on. Even if they were, the battery should not be drained after less than 24 hours.

· Administrator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
4,511 Posts
Hi. I just saw this thread and wanted to know if you every had any resolution to this. I have a 6 month old daily driver 2018 Q60. It sat for one day and the battery died (with the "evil clicking"). This is the second time it happened - the first being a few months ago. No doors were left open and no lights were left on. Even if they were, the battery should not be drained after less than 24 hours.
Could be an defective battery. Have you checked the fluid level?

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, see post# 7.

· Administrator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
4,511 Posts
Yeah. Missed that.

They replaced my battery too. I am not impressed with Infiniti Quality Control. This is the second problem I've had with this car in less than 6 months of ownership.
Pretty sure Infiniti doesn't manufacture the battery.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts