Infiniti Q60 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought the car I knew I would have to have the wear on the drivers side bolster repaired.

Made an appoint last week and they made it out today to do the repair. I'm very satisfied with the work.

·
Super Moderator
2,828 Posts
Nice! Do you know what they did to repair it?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Nice! Was that done at the dealer? Have some leather issues but never thought I could have the deal fix it...

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
"Made an appoint last week and they made it out today to do the repair. I'm very satisfied with the work."

I'm guessing replacement leather panels using a mobile upholstery service? Very nicely done !

·
Registered
71 Posts
Nice! Do you know what they did to repair it?
Not sure about the OPs but here is the process that our guy uses.

Heats leather with heat gun, rubs a clear paste to fill in cracks, runs a warm iron (low setting) over it it smooth it out, paints over it with color matching dye.

It's really a unique process and nothing like you expected to be.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hopefully I will be able to convey adequately so people understand. If you have any questions let me know and I will attempt to clarify and answer your question.

He spent the first hour cleaning the side bolster and then mixing the dye to get a perfect match. I was watching him do this and honestly I thought a couple times that he had it perfect but he kept working on the color mix.

After he got that part done he masked off the area so he could spray the entire bolster with the dye. He uses a small airbrush gun to apply the dye. And it is a multiple coat process where he dries it with a heat gun between coats. After the dye is dry he then applied a mixture of two or three chemicals with a small amount of dye and it added the texture so it matches the rest of the surrounding leather.

Truthfully I was expecting him to mix a dye to match, use a small artist brush to dye the damaged areas and be gone within 30 minutes at most.

Overall it took him two hours to do what you see and charged $200.00. I was very satisfied with the cost and the quality.

The name of the company is FIBRENEW and is a nation wide franchise type company. They also fix rips and tears, but it may still be a little visible. He commented a couple times that I was smart to get this repaired before the leather was damaged.

Please let me know if you have any questions that I can answer.

·
Super Moderator
2,828 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Nice work ! Great dye job ! I've had a few things in custom interior died before to match factory . I have door panels 22 years since done and still good . Takes a good eye ! I can say one thing . Don't get expanding foam on light tan or light colored leather seats or any color paint . lol .

·
Registered
646 Posts
Wow, that looks great! Can't even tell there was wear in the first place!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Not sure about the OPs but here is the process that our guy uses.

Heats leather with heat gun, rubs a clear paste to fill in cracks, runs a warm iron (low setting) over it it smooth it out, paints over it with color matching dye.

It's really a unique process and nothing like you expected to be.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Ive seen this done a few times and if they know what theyre doing you can never tell anything was done.

·
Registered
44 Posts
When I bought the car I knew I would have to have the wear on the drivers side bolster repaired.

Made an appoint last week and they made it out today to do the repair. I'm very satisfied with the work.

WOW - they did a GREAT job....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was not all that excited looking at the red interior in the pictures, but when I seen the car I really liked it.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Oh wow that looks amazing! I have skipped many cars from this very issue. I guess its time to revisit some of the cars again. Thans, this was very helpful!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts