Infiniti Q60 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Did you notice any difference in the performance?
Yes, with the stock HE, I could heat-soak it after the 1st pull with the BT JB4.

With the AMS HE, I never heat-soak. The HE is a necessary component when running higher-than-stock boost levels, either with the BT JB4, or with a flash tune (i.e., Ecutek). After using the JB4 for over a year, I am now currently running an Ecutek tune with a 1.3 bar nap (~19 psi), and I have not experienced timing pull due to heat-soak.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I’ve got a stock 2021q60 RS.... would I notice a difference in performance if I installed the ams race HE? I’m in Chicago IL. Iridium, hoping for some direction from u.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I’ve got a stock 2021q60 RS.... would I notice a difference in performance if I installed the ams race HE? I’m in Chicago IL. Iridium, hoping for some direction from u.
Happy to help. Changing-out the HE will reduce Charge Air Temps in the dual air-to-water intercoolers, which then maintains how hot the air-fuel mixture gets, which controls detonation under boost conditions. Therefore, even with the stock tune, you'll be able to do repeat pulls without the ECM pulling timing due to knock retard from, you guessed it, elevated charge air temps. For example, when I had the JB4 installed before the AMS HE, I'd see charge air temps in the 120s/130s on an 80 deg F day, and in traffic. Even breaking free of traffic, it took time to reduce Charge Air Temps with the stock HE. Once I got the Infiniti-branded (AMS) HE, the Charge Air Temps could rise into the 100s on the same 80 deg F day, and in free air I'd only see a 10-15 deg difference of Charge Air vs Ambient Air Temps.

This $629 "normal-size" Infiniti-branded (AMS) is more than sufficient for your mod level and expected summer temps in Chicago.

2017 INFINITI Q60 Ams Red Alpha Heat Exchanger. Motorsport, Engine, Components - 21410-ALPHE | INFINITI, Nashua NH

Something to note if you order from Infiniti of Nashua - ask them why this HE P/N is not showing applicable to 2018-2021 Q60s.

On the AMS Performance site, it shows it fits 2017+ Q60s (meaning all model years).

Reactions: 2021Q60RS400

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thx iridium. Very helpful. Does the “normal size” or the “race” version H/E block air flow to any other component that needs air? (Just wondering if I’m sacrificing anything.). Any reason I shouldn't spend a little extra for the race version? Someone told me I should spend the extra cash even though I’m in Chicago.

one more... and thx again... will the dealer know to service the HE at the correct intervals?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I ask about service because my top priority is the longevity of the car. I always have kept my cars totally stock and SII this makes me nervous but really wanting the HE

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Thx iridium. Very helpful. Does the “normal size” or the “race” version H/E block air flow to any other component that needs air? (Just wondering if I’m sacrificing anything.). Any reason I shouldn't spend a little extra for the race version? Someone told me I should spend the extra cash even though I’m in Chicago.
The difference is whether you want a 500-hp capable IC system or a 600-hp+ IC system. I think with your "lack of mod" history, I would stick to the "normal" HE, and use the $320 savings from the Race HE towards the dealership labor to install the HE, which is roughly 4-5 hrs. My dealership labor rate is $140 (at the time), and I think it's gone up to $160/hr. now.

The "normal" size AMS HE is more than capable for the summer heat, as well as any increase in hp & tq from other mods, if you so choose (I'm at 437 wheel hp and 502 wheel tq, which means factoring in driveline losses, my Q has easily 520 hp & likely about 550 tq at the crank, with the "normal" size AMS HE, and I never experience knock retard on 19 psi map (which is 4.5 psi over stock 14.5 psi Red Sport levels).

one more... and thx again... will the dealer know to service the HE at the correct intervals?
The IC system uses the same Nissan LL blue coolant as the engine coolant (they are separate systems, thus the reason for two coolant recovery bottles!!), and once filled and bled, only needs to be check periodically for level maintaining between "MIN" & "MAX".

Here's info on the Nissan Blue Coolant, and its maintenance interval:

Nissan Green Vs Blue Coolant - Which Is Better? - Garage Dreams

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thx. Makes sense that I’ll never need anything more than the normal size one since this will be the only mod I do. One more question, Does the “normal size” H/E block air flow to any other component that needs air? Just wondering if I’m sacrificing anything

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Does the “normal size” H/E block air flow to any other component that needs air? Just wondering if I’m sacrificing anything.
It will be in front of the A/C condenser and the radiator, but my A/C blows cold and the coolant temps behave themselves even when the Pacific Northwest has high 80s/low 90s in the summer.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thx. Thought this may be the case. I’ll prob just keep my car stock and not do the H/E. I know people upgrade the HE all the time but I really want my car running the way it was designed (ie not blocking the AC condenser or the radiator) so that I know if there are issues down the road there is no way I was the cause of them.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,505 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
100% agreed Bevo. I was thinking about the HE just to get more pulls out of the car and avoid heat soak. But I think I’m just going to stay stock and not do it

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,505 Posts
100% agreed Bevo. I was thinking about the HE just to get more pulls out of the car and avoid heat soak. But I think I’m just going to stay stock and not do it
Anytime you do a performance mod there's usually a trade off. There are pics posted somewhere in this forum of a HE install. They have to remove the entire front end of the car. You may get a tech that's never installed a HE or removed the front end. Not sure I want someone learning as they go on my car. As explained in this thread, the HE is the first thing behind the grill, so it's in front of the A/C coils and radiator. It may be minimal, but an upgraded HE must have some sort of effect on the a/c and radiator.

IMO, if you want a car with 500+ HP, you purchase that car.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Anytime you do a performance mod there's usually a trade off. There are pics posted somewhere in this forum of a HE install. They have to remove the entire front end of the car. You may get a tech that's never installed a HE or removed the front end. Not sure I want someone learning as they go on my car. As explained in this thread, the HE is the first thing behind the grill, so it's in front of the A/C coils and radiator. It may be minimal, but an upgraded HE must have some sort of effect on the a/c and radiator.

IMO, if you want a car with 500+ HP, you purchase that car.
I was also considering the HE upgrade, but since my only mods will likely be an exhaust and a tune, after reading this I may skip it. Do you have an upgraded HE on your RS Bevo?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,505 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm minus a muffler with the Infiniti Sport Exhaust Kit. That's my only mod.
Question about that, I was looking into those, seems like two straight pipes with some tips, not a whole lot of technology involved, what would make someone spend more than twice as much for the Infiniti kit as opposed to something like the Remark? (see links below)

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,505 Posts
what would make someone spend more than twice as much for the Infiniti kit as opposed to something like the Remark?
1. I have no idea what I paid for it, but it must have been reasonable at the time.
2. Since I purchased my Q60 in December of 2016, there may not have been another pair of straight pipes available at the time from another manufacturer.
3. The dealership installed them and warrantied them.
4. The Infiniti tips are double walled for extra pleasure
5. Clear Lake Infiniti has them for $497.20

1 - 20 of 30 Posts