Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys happy Friday! Just wanted everyone’s opinion on which synthetic oil is best for the Q. Mine is a 2019 luxe with 11,000 miles. Have done 3 (1 break in at 1k and 2 5k) oil changes since I purchased, oil seems to darken quickly and I’m well aware of the toll direct injection and turbocharging takes on oil. Currently running Pennzoil Platinum with factory Nissan filter. Used to be a diehard Castrol Edge fan when I had my naturally aspirated 5.0 Mustang. What oil is everyone running? Thanks JBG

· Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport AWD
2,003 Posts
I have been using Valvoline Modern Engine 5W30 and the over-sized Nissan-branded oil filter since 9500 miles. This combination produces great UOA results, and the ME oil really controls the soot content, so my oil never turns black at the end of the 4-5k mile OCI.

Note: My last OCI was short on mileage due to Covid. I also wanted to incorporate the extra 1/2 qt. of oil capacity with the new (shorter) Rev B dipstick in my '17, and since it had been 10 months on the oil, with a bunch of short trips, I figured I'd just go ahead and change the oil and the filter.

I buy the oil from walmart.com - typically the three (3) pack of 5-qt 5W30 jugs. It used to be offered at the physical store, but I haven't seen it on the store shelves in about a year in my area.

· Registered
588 Posts
I use Mobil 1 Extended Performance 0W-20 Motor Oil purchased at Walmart

· Registered
719 Posts
oh no....has this discussion made its way over from the FB groups to the forums now? ::🤦::

Reactions: 14872

· Registered
2017 Infiniti Q60 3.0t
110 Posts
I've been using Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic 5w-30 with Mobil 1 filter. 1500-2000 mile interval, just because I get to do it for extremely cheap due to my work. It's gold when I drain haha

· Registered
1 Posts
I've been using Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic 5w-30 with Mobil 1 filter. 1500-2000 mile interval, just because I get to do it for extremely cheap due to my work. It's gold when I drain haha
How is your car running? I used same oil and intervals was 4 - 5k miles and had engine and turbo failure, on top of TCM went out all at same time. Idk what I want to use on new engine. The
Floorman said use mobile 1 that he has seen people change oil and this engine has issues with doing that.

· Registered
17 Posts
I have 2017 RS originally purchased in Canada. 1st Oil change 5W20 car ran fine. 2nd 0W20 car ran horrible extremely sluggish. 3rd change 5W30 runs fine. I'm in US. Is 0W20 that much thicker. 0w20 is for colder weather??

· Registered
533 Posts
I have 2017 RS originally purchased in Canada. 1st Oil change 5W20 car ran fine. 2nd 0W20 car ran horrible extremely sluggish. 3rd change 5W30 runs fine. I'm in US. Is 0W20 that much thicker. 0w20 is for colder weather??
0w20 is thinner than 5w30, and it's mostly used to increase mileage at the cost of engine protection. The first number is related to it's viscosity when cold, and the second to it's viscosity when hot. Higher numbers equal higher viscosities, so 0w20 is thinner than 5w30 both when it's cold and when it's hot. 0wxx is good down to -40°C while 5wxx is good down to -35°C temperatures.

· Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport AWD
2,003 Posts
The VR30 has bearing clearances that can be considered "tight". That said, variances will occur from engine-to-engine, so some engines that are "looser" will be perfectly OK with a higher-viscosity oil, while a tighter-clearanced engine will potentially work better with a lower-viscosity oil, however, the viscosity differences between a 0W20 and 5W20 are slight.

I would suggest the sluggishness you perceive might be more fuel quality (summer vs winter blend) or fuel brand, than oil-viscosity, related.

Reactions: Omenx and Queue60RS

· Registered
588 Posts
I only use Exxon 93 Octane (no alcohol) and was absolutely stunned when members here from California posted that they don't have access to this level of quality / Octane!

· Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport AWD
2,003 Posts
I only use Exxon 93 Octane (no alcohol) and was absolutely stunned when members here from California posted that they don't have access to this level of quality / Octane!
WA state is 92 octane.

And IF I ran an E-blend (never have), the nearest E85 station is 12 miles away.

· Registered
2021 q60 RS i-line awd
108 Posts
WA state is 92 octane.

And IF I ran an E-blend (never have), the nearest E85 station is 12 miles away.
Sadly not over here on the east side. I had one station doing 92, but then I moved downtown and 91 is all I can find. I've been doing E0 just to try to help it a little but I miss the easy 93 and occasional 94 I had back in SC.

· Registered
80 Posts
I use Mobil 1 Extended Performance 0W-20 Motor Oil purchased at Walmart
I just got this one and somehow the car feels way different than the last oil used at the dealership and idk what they used tbh..

It feels softer, the car doesn't kickdown when I press the pedal more, it gets the boost from low RPM in the same gear, it's different, but can't tell which one felt better.

Note that I live in -20 -- weather conditions these days.

· Registered
80 Posts
In Canada, I use PetroCanada 94 Octane with 10% ethanol, went to the USA and used 93 Octane from Sunoco. I got better mileage but the car it was doing better job on the 94 Octane with Ethanol. I could feel the boost more and it was somehow more responsive.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts