Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a Q60RS with the premium, tech, driver assist and direct adaptive steering package last night. I am coming out of a 2016 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Premium (Lemon Law Car) with most of the same technology in it, so i'm familiar with how it works.

My gripe (and maybe my sales person has the wrong information) is that each time I start the car, I need to TURN ON all of the safety systems- blind spot, forward emergency braking, lane departure, etc... This is crazy! I would think that each of these systems, especially since such highly touted by Infiniti on the Q50 commercials, would default to ON, and I would then go turn them OFF when I didn't want them to interfere with my driving. With the Cadillac and several other cars prior, all of the systems were ON each and every time the car was started, and I chose to turn them off, if I didn't want them to interfere.

Is there a way to default these systems to ON, or do I have to turn them on each and every time I get in the car?

Thanks for any assistance!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Ya. they are defaulted to on.

P.S if you turn off traction control, emergency brake also turns off.

If you put it in Sport + it also affects traction control a bit as well.

Reactions: BIGTRIFI

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
I just picked up a Q60RS with the premium, tech, driver assist and direct adaptive steering package last night. I am coming out of a 2016 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Premium (Lemon Law Car) with most of the same technology in it, so i'm familiar with how it works.

My gripe (and maybe my sales person has the wrong information) is that each time I start the car, I need to TURN ON all of the safety systems- blind spot, forward emergency braking, lane departure, etc... This is crazy! I would think that each of these systems, especially since such highly touted by Infiniti on the Q50 commercials, would default to ON, and I would then go turn them OFF when I didn't want them to interfere with my driving. With the Cadillac and several other cars prior, all of the systems were ON each and every time the car was started, and I chose to turn them off, if I didn't want them to interfere.

Is there a way to default these systems to ON, or do I have to turn them on each and every time I get in the car?

Thanks for any assistance!
Yep, your salesperson was wrong. Most of the safety systems default "ON" at start-up. The one that you do have to switch on everytime though is the dynamic driver assistance button which activates three features: lane keep assist, blind spot monitoring and the distance control assist. It's the button below.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm...

I'm attaching two pictures- one showing the screen after I start the car, showing "Driving Aids" and Forward, Lane and Blind Spot are all white, meaning they are turned off. After I push the shield button on the steering wheel, they all turn green, meaning they are on. Each time I start the car, I have to push the shield button in order to activate them. Am I just confused?

image1.jpg

image2.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, your salesperson was wrong. Most of the safety systems default "ON" at start-up. The one that you do have to switch on everytime though is the dynamic driver assistance button which activates three features: lane keep assist, blind spot monitoring and the distance control assist. It's the button below.

So if I don't push the shield button when I start the car, forward emergency braking and rear emergency braking will still work? I've gotten a lot of conflicting information on this... Thanks for your assistance.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
Hmm...

I'm attaching two pictures- one showing the screen after I start the car, showing "Driving Aids" and Forward, Lane and Blind Spot are all white, meaning they are turned off. After I push the shield button on the steering wheel, they all turn green, meaning they are on. Each time I start the car, I have to push the shield button in order to activate them.

View attachment 5489

View attachment 5497
Yes, you must push two buttons. The start button, and then the shield button.
TURNING THE DCA SYSTEM ON/OFF
To turn on the DCA system, push the
dynamic driver assistance switch *1 on
the steering wheel after starting the
engine. The driver assistance switch indicator
*2 in the vehicle information display
will appear. Push the dynamic driver
assistance switch *1 again to turn off the
DCA system. The driver assistance switch
indicator *2 will turn off.
The system will start to operate after the
vehicle speed is above approximately 3
MPH (5 km/h).
The dynamic driver assistance switch *1 is
used for the DCA, Active Lane Control (if so
equipped), LDP and BSI systems. When the
dynamic driver assistance switch *1 is
pushed, Active Lane Control, LDP and BSI
systems will also turn on or off simultaneously.
The DCA system can be individually
set to on or off on the lower display*3 .
If the system is set to off, the system will
not turn on even if the dynamic driver
assistance switch *1 is pushed to on. To
set the system to on or off on the display,
see “How to enable/disable the DCA
system” (P.5-102).
Starting and driving P.5-101 in the owner's manual

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
So if I don't push the shield button when I start the car, forward emergency braking and rear emergency braking will still work? I've gotten a lot of conflicting information on this... Thanks for your assistance.
Yes they will....I've experienced this first hand with forward emergency braking. I rarely switch that button on because I prefer to have it on when I'm in cruise and on the highway travelling long distances so the lane keep assist can do its thing.

I hate the forward emergency braking with a passion reserved for yellow skittles (that shite is nasty which is why I give them all to the wife). But I don't dare turn it off because it will probably interfere with the other safety tech which I do want...specifically the lane keep assist. The problem with the emergency braking is the software is programmed to hit the brakes hard well before it comes close to any object.

Picture this...you are on a 2 lane highway (with a passing lane and a slow lane). There is a car in front of you in the slow lane (about 100ft ahead) and there is a car that has been sitting in the passing lane in your blindspot for the last 5 miles. You decide you're going to accelerate slowly to get in front off and overtake the a*hole just sitting in the passing lane but that **** decides he doesn't want you to pass him and speeds up. So you hit the gas hard and just as you're about to clear his fender by a few feet (enough to where you can move over), you get about 30 feet behind the car in front of you...so your car jams on the brakes hard and now you're stuck behind someone in the slow lane with inconsiderate Mr. **** sitting right next to you. Yep, this is what forward emergency braking does 90% of the time for me. I don't need it to prevent an accident...I've got eyes for that!!

:mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Oh wow. Your salesperson was wrong (mostly), but so are all the internet jockeys. Well, mostly wrong. There's some valid info above.

Let me try to clarify some things.

First off, many safety features are ON when you start the car. And you can control, to some degree, which ones are on at start-up. Basically, most of the more passive safety features (think things that don't have the word "Intervention" or "Prevention" in them) are on at start-up. So, in your first picture above, you have Blind Spot Warning (BSW), Lane Departure Warning (LDW) and Predictive Forward Collision Warning engaged. The exception to my rule is Backup Collision Intervention (BCI) is always engaged.

Pressing the Safety Shield button on your steering wheel will engage the more active, or intrusive safety features. The one that testrage likens to yellow skittles is a feature called Distance Control Assist - this is the active braking function that is awesome if you're searching for that yellow skittle between the seats and not paying attention to what's in front of you. It will brake the car if the vehicle in front of you slows down. However, it is only a computer, so it may not perform the way you and I would.

The Safety Shield features generally drive the green tinting on the dash representation of your car. So in your second picture above, it is telling you that Distance Control Assist (DCA), Lane Departure Prevention (LDP), Active Lane Control (ALC), and Blind Spot Intervention (BSI) are all turned on. Now, you can control which of these features are on and off by tweaking the settings on the lower touch screen. I've made a couple of modifications to the defaults that I feel improve my experience.

I don't like BSI - yet I love BSW. I know that the BSW is a little conservative - it will be lit when I'm slightly clear of a car, but they're technically still in my blind spot. Once in a while I want to be able to change lanes in that scenario - accelerate into the next lane and get in front of that car that's just barely in my blind spot, but not blocking me. So in my settings, I have BSI turned off, even when I've pressed the Safety Shield button.

And I really hate Lane Departure Warning. To me it is like the boy crying wolf - it just goes off in too many situations where it is unnecessary. I have that turned off unless I have Safety Shield engaged.

As for Lane Control - I love this feature. But so much is misunderstood about the feature. And Infiniti doesn't make it easier to understand. Here's one critical tip: there's only one way to see if your car is reading lane markings. You need to go into Settings > Meter > Main Menu Selection and turn on the "Chassis Control" screen. Then page through the screens in front of you until you get that Chassis Control screen. When you depress the Safety Shield button, the gridlines will turn into a halfpipe. When the halfpipe gridlines turn bright blue, the car is reading lanes. If the gridlines are gray, the car is not reading lanes, nor steering for you. Keep in mind that ALC only works above 45mph.

Here are some pictures of how I have my car set up. Yes, my car is a Q50, not a Q60, but the functionality is identical. And yes, my car is dirty.

This is page two of the lower screen. I press the Driver Assistance button to get into the settings:

Your options (BTW, all this assumes you have DAS and Technology packages) I haven't talked much about Forward Assist or Emergency Assist:

Lane Control screen. With it set this way, LDW is off unless Safety Shield is pressed. And "High" is my preference for lane control - it works the hardest to stay in the center of the lane.

Here are my Blind Spot settings. This allows me to change lanes without resistance, even if there's a car technically in my blind spot:

Remember my warnings about lane control. There's only one way to tell if the car is reading lanes and doing its job. This feature is one of my favorite things about this car. If you have tech package and you aren't using lane control, you should try. It makes long trips SO much less tiring. Oh, and of course I do not turn any of this stuff on if I'm at the track.

Intelligent cruise control is a whole nother discussion.

Attachments

Reactions: teeder27

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
Pressing the Safety Shield button on your steering wheel will engage the more active, or intrusive safety features. The one that testrage likens to yellow skittles is a feature called Distance Control Assist - this is the active braking function that is awesome if you're searching for that yellow skittle between the seats and not paying attention to what's in front of you. It will brake the car if the vehicle in front of you slows down. However, it is only a computer, so it may not perform the way you and I would.
Actually while the Forward Emergency Braking (FEB) may be a tool used in the DCA suite, it is always active unlike the DCA. I rarely switch DCA on (or the Safety Shield or Dynamic Driver Assistance). So what I was referring to was the FEB system and not the DCA which functions similarly but is different.

That is unless Infiniti programmed my Q60 differently from all the others and left the Emergency Braking system active at all times for me vs DCA which has to be switched on. :laugh:

·
Registered
95 Posts
If FEB is engaging on you all the time, then you're "coming in hot" to cars in front of you - a lot. I have it warn me sometimes, but rarely does it engage the brakes.

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
I'd say the system certainly thinks I'm coming in "hot" even if I don't. I may just try switching it off and see if the other systems including the DCA is impacted any.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts