Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know it is sort of boy racer with your second hand STI and a Tial BOV in transit via USPS.. but once you fall in love with the WHOOSH sound of a turbo system, it doesn't go away. I have come across some very conflicting information about installing a BOV on the Q60 Red 400 and I would like a straight answer. dice or no dice? Is the car capable of whooshing my soul into contentment or will I be left wanting?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I've been reading no because of the size of the turbos and the type?

Although, it's my first car with forced induction so feel free to call me clueless.

·
Registered
359 Posts
From what I understand, you'd have to delete the recirculation in order to do it. So yes, you can technically add blow off valves, but you'd be introducing a lot of lag into the turbo system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been reading no because of the size of the turbos and the type?

Although, it's my first car with forced induction so feel free to call me clueless.

Yeah, this is what I have been reading too. I don't know jack about turbo systems either. I know BMW is geared towards making the power increase in their turbo motors linear such as a supercharger will do. I appreciate the low end performance but I also appreciate that surge of power that just sets you back in your seat like you've hit warp speed. Especially for an automatic waiting for the lag would severely limit performance, but man.. Some of the best things about having turbos are eliminated here. The surge of power and the whoosh, like your driving some space ship are all gone..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From what I understand, you'd have to delete the recirculation in order to do it. So yes, you can technically add blow off valves, but you'd be introducing a lot of lag into the turbo system.

Would it really be "a lot" of lag? From what I see the Turbos are that big, once you go through the RPMs in first gear from a dead stop, wouldn't you be able to keep the output of the exhaust high enough to eliminate any significant difference?

This is one of the issues with wanting to mess around with a brand new car. All the turbo experts are a few years away, waiting for depreciation.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Would it really be "a lot" of lag? From what I see the Turbos are that big, once you go through the RPMs in first gear from a dead stop, wouldn't you be able to keep the output of the exhaust high enough to eliminate any significant difference?

This is one of the issues with wanting to mess around with a brand new car. All the turbo experts are a few years away, waiting for depreciation.
Full throttle acceleration through all the gears you won't notice a difference. It's when you back off the throttle a bit and the manifold builds up back pressure, you'll blow the valve and have to build up more pressure again than you would otherwise. Honestly for street driving you probably won't notice much of a difference (or care), but on the track it makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, I don't track my cars. I have a drag car (fully built and caged corvette), that's my thing. but as for weekend track days, I am not all that interested. Probably because I don't live close enough to make it a hobby. I am all for visiting famous tracks like Willow Springs and I have a blast. but it's more for fun and not crunching seconds. As long as I beat the group that I go with, I am happy. If I wanted to get serious about track racing this car, I could always revert it back to stock or use an anti-lag system.

So it looks like it's possible for me to get what I want. I just need to find someone who can do it safely.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
I want the same thing, I miss the sounds.

I'll see what it takes to get it done this week and follow up on the thread.

Thanks,
Marco

·
Registered
47 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
When I first saw it, I wanted it bad. But you get a very similar sound with an intake so I’ll prob pass lol

If it was half the price, I’d think about it.

·
Registered
686 Posts
When I first saw it, I wanted it bad. But you get a very similar sound with an intake so I’ll prob pass lol

The sound between the intakes and BOVs are distinctly different and happen at completely different times...

·
Registered
150 Posts

The sound between the intakes and BOVs are distinctly different and happen at completely different times...
Lol I don’t think you understand the point I’m trying to make. Have you ever heard the stillen intake? It makes a swoosh at the exact same time as a bov. As you rev and release the gas, it makes a swoosh sound. It’s different than the whistle of a bov but still a similar sound.

Not sure how you figured it happens at completely different times when both make the noise upon gas release. Im strictly referring to the swoosh with “our” intake not the sound of any regular intake.

Here’s a link
https://youtu.be/nsOJtVcoxJc

·
Registered
686 Posts
Lol I don’t think you understand the point I’m trying to make. Have you ever heard the stillen intake? It makes a swoosh at the exact same time as a bov. As you rev and release the gas, it makes a swoosh sound. It’s different than the whistle of a bov but still a similar sound.

Not sure how you figured it happens at completely different times when both make the noise upon gas release. Im strictly referring to the swoosh with “our” intake not the sound of any regular intake.

Here’s a link
https://youtu.be/nsOJtVcoxJc
I think there must be a major difference between the RS and anything less, because other sound clips and my own intake (given, I have BMS) do not make this sound. My BMS intake makes the turbo spool more noticeable, but there is no "whoosh" when you let off the throttle.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts